PDA

View Full Version : Biggest deal of the day, Ponson to Giants

MHOUSE
07-31-2003, 05:33 PM
Ponson to the Giants for Ainsworth RHP and Moss LHP. Great deal for the Orioles who get two quality young arms with ML experience. And a minor leaguer too! Ponson didn't sign last week so he clearly wanted out. Great trade for both sides.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/story?id=1588007)

I think he would've cost way too much for us. Suppan turned out cheap, but Boston has a dying NL Central line of talent coming in.

Also KC picked up Al Levine for cash. At least they're getting experience in the 'pen and they can send down all those joe nobody minor leaguers.

MHOUSE
08-01-2003, 12:17 AM
Nobody has an opinion on this? :?:

Jjav829
08-01-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Nobody has an opinion on this? :?:

We've sorta discussed in in other threads such as the "Rumors" thread. Basically most feel the Giants gave up a lot for him and that the Orioles got a good deal.

doublem23
08-01-2003, 12:47 AM
I can't even imagine what the Sox would have had to give up to match this deal...

It would have been a lot.

MHOUSE
08-01-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
I can't even imagine what the Sox would have had to give up to match this deal...

It would have been a lot.

That's what I was thinking. That would be like a couple of our Rauch/Honel guys for Ponson. They paid a lot and had better hope he resigns.

fuzzy_patters
08-01-2003, 02:34 AM
Ponson to the Giants for Ainsworth RHP and Moss LHP. Great deal for the Orioles who get two quality young arms with ML experience. And a minor leaguer too! Ponson didn't sign last week so he clearly wanted out. Great trade for both sides.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/story?id=1588007)

I think he would've cost way too much for us. Suppan turned out cheap, but Boston has a dying NL Central line of talent coming in.

Also KC picked up Al Levine for cash. At least they're getting experience in the 'pen and they can send down all those joe nobody minor leaguers.

It's about time Levine did something to help the Sox. Perhaps he and Sean Lowe can help us get to the playoffs this year. That would be nice of them.

Gumshoe
08-01-2003, 12:19 PM
]

I agree that Baltimore came out well. I liked that.

Where you are wrong is with Suppan. Yes, he's good, but he's not amazing and Freddy Sanchez is a stud that will be with the Pirates longer than Suppan is with Boston and he'll give them a solid middle infielder. I love the move by Pittsburgh.

Levine sucks.

Gumshoe