PDA

View Full Version : Looks like all is Quiet on the Southside, at least for now...

fledgedrallycap
07-31-2003, 04:04 PM
Looks like Kenny stood pat. We'll see what happens during the Waiver period. Anyway, I don't think there was a whole lot out there that the Sox were interested in. I still think you may see a right handed reliever added to the pen enventually.

DC Sox Fan
07-31-2003, 04:08 PM
Can't say I expected any huge moves involving us today. But at the same time, it's been fun to keep an eye on trades knowing that we're buying instead of selling this year :D:

Better than a "white flag 2:"

:reinsy
"We're crazy to think that we can catch KC at this point"

hold2dibber
07-31-2003, 04:09 PM
I'm a little disappointed that the Sox were unable to add another arm, but it sounds to me like some GMs were asking for a lot. If you ask me, the Red Sox overpayed for Suppan, the Yankees overpaid for Boone, and the Giants overpayed for Ponson. I would have liked any of those guys, but I honestly don't think they would have been worth the asking price. I'm all for winning now, but you can't be stupid about. The one guy I'm bummed out about is Scott Williamson, who would have been an absolutely perfect fit for the Sox, and came relatively cheap to the Red Sox. But I'm still hopeful that KW can make a deal for a decent RH reliever who makes it through waivers.

fledgedrallycap
07-31-2003, 04:17 PM
I have to give KW a big time salute - what he did by acquiring Alomar and Everett in early July was brilliant. He did not have to compete against a dozen other teams and asking prices were much more reasonable. Once you started trading at the deadline - you are giving away major leaguers, at least a prospect is still just that - an unproven prospect. Hopefully Kenny can swing another move for a Righty, but even if he doesn't - job well done.

pudge
07-31-2003, 04:20 PM
I agree that teams seem to be overpaying right now, I'm glad we didn't.

What interests me is that Ventura is going to LA. With Crede struggling and our team lacking left-handed bats, I think Ventura could have been intriguing. Crede is still the man of the future. But Ventura would have added a better bat and not lost anything defensively from what we have in Crede.

fledgedrallycap
07-31-2003, 04:24 PM
It would have been fun, believe me. However, Crede is coming around and he finished REALLY strong last year, too. I think if the big boys keep on hitting - you can live with Crede and Olivo bringing up the rear doing there part with situational hitting and the occassional key hit

voodoochile
07-31-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by pudge
I agree that teams seem to be overpaying right now, I'm glad we didn't.

What interests me is that Ventura is going to LA. With Crede struggling and our team lacking left-handed bats, I think Ventura could have been intriguing. Crede is still the man of the future. But Ventura would have added a better bat and not lost anything defensively from what we have in Crede.

It would have been interesting to see Robin back on the SS for a run at another post season. Sort of like 93-94, but I think the team made the right decision. Crede has looked MUCH better since the ASG in his approach at the plate. He has hit some shots the other way and managed to also hit some homers. His bat speed is better and his defense remains solid. I like the idea of giving him the chance to play in a Pennant race situation. The Sox are going to find out if he ever will be the stud most of us think he can be.

LASOXFAN
07-31-2003, 04:28 PM
LA's going nowhere, maybe Ventura will be available in late August. I'd love to see him with the Sox for a pennant run. If Crede's not hitting above .230 at that point send him back down to AAA for the remainder of the year or bench him.

Tragg
07-31-2003, 04:58 PM
The prices really went up late. Boston gave up a ML ready second baseman for Suppan (I think we tried to get that guy from Boston last year). Giants gave up a lot to rent Ponson. These guys weren't cheap. Boston and the Giants figure they have the team to win the WS and, I guess, St Louis and the Astros don't think they do.

SoxFanDan
07-31-2003, 05:04 PM
KW did a great job. He has a hitters row and a solid defender at 2nd. Schoenweis will be fine as another lefty. Remember lefties are hard to find,and we are set. I still think we will see a righty bullpen to come. Maybe Ginter will step up

FJA
07-31-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by SoxFanDan
KW did a great job. He has a hitters row and a solid defender at 2nd. Schoenweis will be fine as another lefty. Remember lefties are hard to find,and we are set. I still think we will see a righty bullpen to come. Maybe Ginter will step up

If Ginter steps up somewhat and Cooper's work with Koch pays off at all, we are set. You're not going to claim a great pitcher off of waivers.

harwar
07-31-2003, 05:17 PM
I missed most of the 2 hour trade-deadline show.Does anyone know what they had to say about the White Sox?

LASOXFAN
07-31-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
It would have been fun, believe me. However, Crede is coming around and he finished REALLY strong last year, too. I think if the big boys keep on hitting - you can live with Crede and Olivo bringing up the rear doing there part with situational hitting and the occassional key hit

I hate to pull a Rick White in the midst of a hot streak, but I'm a bit miffed we didn't pull the trigger on a deal for Boone. Cincy's having a fire sale and no way it would've cost us a lot. Crede and a prospect? Boone's better RIGHT NOW. And this team is about RIGHT NOW, isn't it, or am I lost here? As near as I can tell we're not rebuilding. Boone's not an aging veteran; he could be the 3rd baseman for the next few years. Crede's behind schedule while guys like Lee, Ordonez, Konerko, even Frank, are poised to win now. Solid fielding, power hitting 3rd basemen are a precious commodity IMHO. Get 'em while you can.

MHOUSE
07-31-2003, 05:34 PM
I would've liked to get Suppan. He was cheap. Ponson would've cost too much and we didn't need much else.

bobj4400
07-31-2003, 05:38 PM
I have heard reports that the PTBN in the Cubs-Pirates deal was to be Bobby Hill...why would they trade for Freddy Sanchez if this is the case?

Anybody have any info. on this?

hold2dibber
07-31-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
I hate to pull a Rick White in the midst of a hot streak, but I'm a bit miffed we didn't pull the trigger on a deal for Boone. Cincy's having a fire sale and no way it would've cost us a lot.

I think he would have cost the Sox a lot. The Yankees dealt their no. 1 pitching prospect for him. That was the going price, apparently. I would have liked to have added Boone, but I believe he is a FA at the end of the year - I'm not sure that I would have been in favor of dealing Kris Honel for 50 games of Boone, particularly in light of the fact that (1) the Sox offense should be plenty good enough already; and (2) I still think Crede will be a good offensive ball player (althoug he has been horse crap this year so far).

MHOUSE
07-31-2003, 05:47 PM
Chad Fox was released by the BoSox today. Could he be the RHP bullpen option? 1-2 with a 4.something ERA and a couple saves. Appier is also out there, but I dunno if I would go after him.

LASOXFAN
07-31-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I think he would have cost the Sox a lot. The Yankees dealt their no. 1 pitching prospect for him. That was the going price, apparently. I would have liked to have added Boone, but I believe he is a FA at the end of the year - I'm not sure that I would have been in favor of dealing Kris Honel for 50 games of Boone, particularly in light of the fact that (1) the Sox offense should be plenty good enough already; and (2) I still think Crede will be a good offensive ball player (althoug he has been horse crap this year so far).

I hear what you're saying, but I'm guess I'm still stuck on the fact that we're trying to win now. The Yankees didn't shy away from giving up a top prospect. That should tell you something about them. I'm not saying empty our farm system of all top prospects. But close your eyes and imagine that line up with Boone hitting seventh or eighth...it's too good to be true! I'm telling you, 3rd basemen are hard to come by. They really are. Just read "Who's on Third?", a history of the white sox, and you'll know what I mean.

Scotty347
07-31-2003, 06:06 PM
I could see making a run at Boone if we had a real hole at 3rd base. But to give up our #1 prospect to replace Crede?

I don't think that would have been that much of an upgrade.

Teams were paying a lot today, I think KW did a great job by getting out guys a few weeks ago. Plus this has given them time to blend into the clubhouse.

Another arm would have been nice, but our team looks good as is.

gogosoxgogo
07-31-2003, 06:12 PM
I'm fine with not making any moves toward Boone or the available starting pitchers. For the price that those pitchers were going for, I think they were overpriced and too expensive. I'll stick with Wright in this case. I still would have liked to add a right handed reliever, however. I still have faith that Kenny will do something in waivers.

lowesox
07-31-2003, 06:17 PM
Does anybody know why Fox was released? Is he hurt, or were there personality issues? Because he seems like he'd be a pretty dependable guy.

Then again, so did Rick White.

adsit
07-31-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Does anybody know why Fox was released? Is he hurt, or were there personality issues? Because he seems like he'd be a pretty dependable guy.

Then again, so did Rick White.

Boston Globe today basically said Grady Little ran out of patience with his rehabilitation. He's had two Tommy John surgeries on his shoulder and a fractured elbow. The few times I saw him pitch this year he had problems controlling his stuff. He's good enough to hook up with another team that can give him innings and get him more work than he was getting in Boston. I personally don't think we're that team, for the same reasons Boston isn't... we're in a pennant race.

Dave

Daver
07-31-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by adsit
Boston Globe today basically said Grady Little ran out of patience with his rehabilitation. He's had two Tommy John surgeries on his shoulder and a fractured elbow.

Did he have shoulder surgery or elbow surgery twice?

The Tommy John surgery is replacing the ligament in elbow,which today is not really that hard to come back from,but if it was shoulder surgery it is more of a case by case basis.

adsit
07-31-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by daver
Did he have shoulder surgery or elbow surgery twice?

The Tommy John surgery is replacing the ligament in elbow,which today is not really that hard to come back from,but if it was shoulder surgery it is more of a case by case basis.

I had to go get the paper to make sure:

One of the National League's most dominating relievers in 2001, Fox missed all but three games last season because of a shoulder injury. He previously underwent two Tommy John surgeries in addition to coming back from a fractured right elbow.

That makes it sound like he's had a lot of trouble.

Daver
07-31-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by adsit
I had to go get the paper to make sure:

That makes it sound like he's had a lot of trouble.

He might have a tough time latching on with another MLB team,unless he signs a minor league deal and proves he can be healthy.

Thanx for clarifying that.

MarkEdward
07-31-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
I have heard reports that the PTBN in the Cubs-Pirates deal was to be Bobby Hill...why would they trade for Freddy Sanchez if this is the case?

Sanchez would play short and Hill would play second.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2003, 08:05 PM
Very disappointed the Sox could not close a deal on Suppan. I don't know anything about the "can't miss kid," the Red Sox gave up but if the White Sox wanted him bad enough they could have gotten him.

What compoundes the problem is not only what Suppan doesn't bring to Chicago but what he DOES bring to Boston.

In 65 days or so this guy could be beating the Sox in a playoff game.

I agree completely with what Peter Gammons said during ESPN's show this afternoon, when you get a chance to win you have to go after it. If the kid (or kids) that you trade turn out to become good players you can always get them back in the future when they become free agents.

Right on the money.

I hope Suppan doesn't come back to bite the White Sox in the rear end come october (if the Sox make it.)

Lip

baseballboy
07-31-2003, 08:58 PM
Freddy Sanchez is a much better prospect than Bobby Hill.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-31-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by baseballboy
Freddy Sanchez is a much better prospect than Bobby Hill.

wasnt bobby hill a shortstop when we drafted him though? maybe its just me.