PDA

View Full Version : Rumors

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 01:06 PM
Since we are only hours away, dump all your rumors in here. I heard that the Yankees front office is resisting Steinbrenner on giving up the pitching prospect Claussen for Boone. They view Boone as a marginal upgrade from Ventura who will be a FA after the season and aren't willing to give up their best pitching prospect for that. It also seems the Dodgers want Boone and Graves for minor leaguers and cash. FYI. We'll see soon.

fledgedrallycap
07-31-2003, 01:08 PM
I've got Aaron Boone to the Yankees

Brian26
07-31-2003, 01:12 PM
Is there any way in hell we can swoop Robin from the Yankees if they get Boone???

LuvSox
07-31-2003, 01:12 PM
It's pretty cool being in the mix, isn't it? We are so used to being out of it by now. Let's go Sox!!!!!!

By the way, what is so great about A. Boone anyway?

FJA
07-31-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Is there any way in hell we can swoop Robin from the Yankees if they get Boone???

I think picking up Robin if this happens would be great ... he'd be a great leader (and mentor to Crede) and the fans would absolutely love it.

fledgedrallycap
07-31-2003, 01:17 PM
I don't know a lot about him, most of his fame is due to the Boone family. He has a good bat (much better than Robin at this point) and can play a good 3rd base.

LuvSox
07-31-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

Robin could play first and third, leaving the ever expanding waistline of Brian Daubach out in the cold. (Yeah, I used to like him, he just ain't cutting it now.)

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 01:26 PM
Yesterday, I had the Astros trying to get Weaver from the Yanks to replace Oswalt (who is done this year) but that has cooled down because the Astros aren't willing to meet the price.

LASOXFAN
07-31-2003, 01:31 PM
Didn't Hawk make mention of a trade that would "knock our socks off" if it happened? Anybody have any idea what that was?

voodoochile
07-31-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
Didn't Hawk make mention of a trade that would "knock our socks off" if it happened? Anybody have any idea what that was?

That was before the trading deadline when prices were low, but then the Sox went 3-7 going into the break and the team decided to wait and see if they would do well in the second half before making another move.

Now prices are up and the Sox have already spent a bunch of their talent/money so they can't spend as much as before. I will love it if KW makes one more move, but don't expect it. He was already talking about picking up a guy off the waiver wire in August if necessary...

raul12
07-31-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
That was before the trading deadline when prices were low, but then the Sox went 3-7 going into the break and the team decided to wait and see if they would do well in the second half before making another move.

Now prices are up and the Sox have already spent a bunch of their talent/money so they can't spend as much as before. I will love it if KW makes one more move, but don't expect it. He was already talking about picking up a guy off the waiver wire in August if necessary...

How does the waiver wire work for trades after the deadline...is it the same as for sending someone down to the minors after all the options are used up? Also, anyone picked up via trade after the deadline--are they allowed to be on the playoff roster, if we make it?

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 01:37 PM
Don't have any solid White Sox leads. Prices are pretty high out there right now for pitching.

wulfy
07-31-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox

By the way, what is so great about A. Boone anyway?

Nice thing about Aaron Boone is that he can do some things that you typically don't expect from a corner infielder - he'll steal bases (15 YTD, 32 last year), he generally plays good defense, he handles a bat well, but he's also got some pop (18 HR YTD, 26 last year) ... but his OBP is below par (career .334).

He's not an elite 3B, but he's better than average.

LuvSox
07-31-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by wulfy
he'll steal bases (15 YTD, 32 last year)

These numbers seem so odd to me. I was a little leaguer when Rickey Henderson came up. Now that guy was a base stealer.

Paulwny
07-31-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by raul12
How does the waiver wire work for trades after the deadline...is it the same as for sending someone down to the minors after all the options are used up? Also, anyone picked up via trade after the deadline--are they allowed to be on the playoff roster, if we make it?

I don't know all the details. A player would have to clear waivers, so a team in contention who is below a rival in the standings and feels that the player is going to their rival could block this type of trade by claiming the player. The other team usually then takes the player off waivers.
Of course it could all back fire if the team gives you the player.

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 02:00 PM
BBTN deadline special on. Less than an hour to go.

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 02:05 PM
Sanders to Royals for prospects imminent. Astros looking to get Ponson. Boone deal with Yankees for Claussen seems to be going through. King George gets his way. What happens to Ventura is anybodies guess.

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 02:07 PM
Gammons saying Ventura will end up with the Dodgers.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-31-2003, 02:07 PM
Gammons just mentioned Ventura will most likely go to the Dodgers! Darn

WhiteSox = Life
07-31-2003, 02:16 PM
When BBTN came back and they showed Kobe, before they cut to him, did my eyes deceive me, or did I see a trade screen with the Sox getting Scott Williamson?

:?:

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 02:20 PM
I was watching but I didn't see that.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-31-2003, 02:21 PM
They first showed the screen for the Angels-Sox trade, then like 3 seconds later they had the Reds-Red Sox trade, it also confused me for a second

WhiteSox = Life
07-31-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
They first showed the screen for the Angels-Sox trade, then like 3 seconds later they had the Reds-Red Sox trade, it also confused me for a second

Good, it's been confirmed. I'm not totally crazy.

:D:

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 02:25 PM
Montreal apparently won't move Javier Vasquez. Cardinals couldn't pull the trigger on a JD Drew for Kevin Escobar deal. Ponson still out there.

WhiteSox = Life
07-31-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
Montreal apparently won't move Javier Vasquez. Cardinals couldn't pull the trigger on a JD Drew for Kevin Escobar deal. Ponson still out there.

Right. Omar Minaya said MLB would probably not let him deal Vidro, Guerrero or Vasquez, so trade talks for those three have come to a screeching halt.

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 02:45 PM
15 minutes left. I'll keep you posted.

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 02:52 PM
Devil Rays trade Al Levine to Royals for cash. Ventura to Dodgers for prospect. Unconfirmed.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-31-2003, 02:52 PM
Oh no, the royals acquired Al Leivine from the Devil Rays for cash!!!!

Dadawg_77
07-31-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
15 minutes left. I'll keep you posted.

Remeber that trades can announced later today just have to be submitted in five minutes.

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Remeber that trades can announced later today just have to be submitted in five minutes. Thats what they just said on BBTN too. Saying they should be announced a half hour after the deadline.

FJA
07-31-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
Oh no, the royals acquired Al Leivine from the Devil Rays for cash!!!!

Levine's a good pickup for them ... supposedly Reggie Sanders is not a done deal ... Gammons says he might go to the Yankmees ... not that the Royals needed him anyway.

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 02:58 PM
Giants are after Ponson. Supposedly close to him. Juan Gonzalez may go to KC.

Jjav829
07-31-2003, 03:00 PM
Giants supposedly got Ponson for Ainsworth, Moss, and a minor leaguer.

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Giants supposedly got Ponson for Ainsworth, Moss, and a minor leaguer. Confirmed.

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 03:09 PM
Still watching for that Juan Gonzalez to KC move. Apparently he agreed to the trade with certain contract restructuring stipulations.

hold2dibber
07-31-2003, 03:14 PM
Giants supposedly got Ponson for Ainsworth, Moss, and a minor leaguer.

60 games of Ponson for Ainsworth, Moss and a minor leaguer? Egads - Sabean must be hitting the crack pipe hard and heavy. Actually, with Bonds approaching 40, I suppose he rightfully sees the Giants as having a pretty narrow window to win a Series and he's going balls out to get it now. I suppose that makes sense, since his team is so close (apparently). But man, that's a lot to give up for Sidney friggin' Ponson.

SoxxoS
07-31-2003, 03:14 PM
The Giants got TAKEN for Ponson. Ainsworth is a stud, and Damien Moss is pretty damn solid. Orioles got a real good deal.

And about Juan Gone to the Royals, that would possible explain why the Reggie Sanders to the Royals went through...so the Royals can acquire Juan Gone...

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 03:15 PM
Ventura to Dodgers for minor leaguers Scott Proctor RHP and Bubba Crosby OF. LA picks up Ventura's salary.

Jjav829
07-31-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
60 games of Ponson for Ainsworth, Moss and a minor leaguer? Egads - Sabean must be hitting the crack pipe hard and heavy. Actually, with Bonds approaching 40, I suppose he rightfully sees the Giants as having a pretty narrow window to win a Series and he's going balls out to get it now. I suppose that makes sense, since his team is so close (apparently). But man, that's a lot to give up for Sidney friggin' Ponson.

Yeah, it's definitely a good move for the Orioles to unload a guy that they probably won't resign and get two good young pitchers in Ainsworth and Moss.

BTW, did anyone hear Bret Boone's comments? I'm sure he really wanted them to get his brother.

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 03:37 PM
Gabe White RHP also from Reds to Yankees. Essentially in the same trade as Boone.

Steve Bartman
07-31-2003, 03:46 PM
So far Gammons has said Colon could be a Yankee, Giant, or Oriole next year.

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 03:49 PM
Gammons also said that the Cardinals are going to pick up Appier this year. Desperate times and desperate measures for Cardinal pitching I guess.

FJA
07-31-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Cubsloseagain911

Gammons, etc. have all been caught off guard by KW several times. I don't put much stock in what they say about the White Sox or their players.

Nick@Nite
07-31-2003, 04:40 PM
BTW, did anyone hear Bret Boone's comments? I'm sure he really wanted them to get his brother.

I heard on the BBTN trade deadline telecast that the Mariner clubhouse is disgruntled because of the team's lack of trade/moves leading up to todays trade dead-line... really breaks my heart!

Hope the Mariners and their disgruntled feelings play crappy the rest of the year.

LuvSox
07-31-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Cubsloseagain911

He could be on the Sox too. Gammons can go blow.

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 11:30 PM
Gammons thinks that the Rangers will send Juan Gone to KC after they restructure his contract. (Translation: they pay him up front). If we keep up it up like we did this series though, it will be too little too late. Unless he can pitch too. :)