PDA

View Full Version : Suppan to BoSox

NewyorkSoxFan
07-31-2003, 01:04 PM
Sporting News Radio is reporting Suppan to Bosox.

NYSF

LuvSox
07-31-2003, 01:08 PM
Pardon my French, but **** Boston. I hate them worse than the Yankee$. They'll figure out a way to choke.

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 01:09 PM
Gammons will be thrilled. You watch when he reports it. Thats ok though, Suppan is no star.

SoxxoS
07-31-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
Gammons will be thrilled. You watch when he reports it. Thats ok though, Suppan is no star.

Agreed. Suppan careered it at the best time possible, the past month, right before the deadline. I believe he is 5-0 his past 5 starts and pitched awesome his last game, the one the scouts were at.

MarkEdward
07-31-2003, 01:30 PM
Here's the deal (at least the reported deal):

Pirates get:
Freddy Sanchez
Anastacio Martinez

Red Sox get:
Jeff Suppan
Scott Sauerbeck
Brandon Lyon

If Littlefield can get Bobby Hill from the from the Cubs (to complete the Lofton deal), then the Bucs will have a very good middle infield combo for years to come.

dickallen15
07-31-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Agreed. Suppan careered it at the best time possible, the past month, right before the deadline. I believe he is 5-0 his past 5 starts and pitched awesome his last game, the one the scouts were at.

Suppan has always been referred to as a poor man's Greg Maddux for years, maybe like Loiasa he is finally putting it together.

SoxxoS
07-31-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

Pirates get:
Freddy Sanchez
Anastacio Martinez

Red Sox get:
Jeff Suppan
Scott Sauerbeck
Brandon Lyon

If Littlefield can get Bobby Hill from the from the Cubs (to complete the Lofton deal), then the Bucs will have a very good middle infield combo for years to come.

Wow. I really like Sanchez. Decent deal for both sides IMO... Definitely not a "steal" for the Red Sox.

valposoxfan
07-31-2003, 01:43 PM
I tell you what though, Epstein is doing EVERYTHING he has to do to keep the Red Sox from choking and making a run at the championship. He has done nothing but impress me in the past three weeks. The Red Sox have become scary...

JRIG
07-31-2003, 01:46 PM

Pirates get:
Freddy Sanchez
Anastacio Martinez

Red Sox get:
Jeff Suppan
Scott Sauerbeck
Brandon Lyon

This can't be right. The Red Sox already got Scott Sauerbeck last week for Lyon.

A.T. Money
07-31-2003, 01:47 PM
ESPN.com hasn't mentioned this yet...

FJA
07-31-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
This can't be right. The Red Sox already got Scott Sauerbeck last week for Lyon.

If this trade is true, I bet the Red Sox had to take back "bad elbow" Lyon and give the Pirates another player ... Sauerbeck stays with the BoSox, thus resolving "elbowgate."

hold2dibber
07-31-2003, 01:58 PM

Pirates get:
Freddy Sanchez
Anastacio Martinez

Red Sox get:
Jeff Suppan
Scott Sauerbeck
Brandon Lyon

Huh? The Red Sox already acquired Sauerbeck for Lyon - how could they be getting Sauerbeck again? Also, Sanchez is a lot to give up for Suppan - my understanding is that he is an absolute stud SS prospect, no? In fact, I thought he was considered Boston's no. 1 prospect. Suppan is a back of the rotation guy who is a FA at the end of the year. Wouldn't this be like the Sox trading Jeremy Reed or Kris Honel for Suppan? If that's what it would have taken, I'd take a pass. Maybe KW can go out and land Escobar or some other starter for less.

FJA
07-31-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by FJA
If this trade is true, I bet the Red Sox had to take back "bad elbow" Lyon and give the Pirates another player ... Sauerbeck stays with the BoSox, thus resolving "elbowgate."

Yep ... this is pretty much what happend it sounds like, per Gammons.

Mammoo
07-31-2003, 02:09 PM
...You know the Yankees will counter with something; which may be a trade for Boone.

maurice
07-31-2003, 02:13 PM
Bobby Hill = Willie Harris.

The jury is still out on Sanchez. Boston either valued him less than many prognosticators or overvalued Suppan.

Sickels' lukewarm review (http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/downonthefarm/1569308.html) of Sanchez.

Gumshoe
07-31-2003, 02:17 PM
I've seen Suppan and Sanchez. This makes ALL the sense in the world for the Pirates. Suppan is good, but he's not worth giving up Sanchez in a deadline deal. The Pirates STOLE this one, if it's true. But they are whores to the Yanks and the big hype of the NE ....

Most likely they'll find a way to lose like the cubbies

Gumshoe

MarkEdward
07-31-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Huh? The Red Sox already acquired Sauerbeck for Lyon - how could they be getting Sauerbeck again?

Sorry about the miunderstanding. Sauerbeck was already on the Red Sox; I was just putting the last few Pirates-Red Sox deals into one little package, so to speak.

MHOUSE
07-31-2003, 04:21 PM
They had to resolve the Brandon Lyon elbow gate deal. What I don't get is that ESPN said the first deal was reversed except that Sauerbeck stays so the two deals combined w/ reversal is:

BoSox: Suppan, Sauerbeck
Pirates: only Sanchez
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/story?id=1588015)

Boston fills two big holes and the Pirates get a stud SS. They have Nunez for MIF so it looks like Nunez/Sanchez up the middle is the future for them. Nunez is better than Bobby Hill.

MHOUSE
07-31-2003, 04:27 PM
My big question is why did the Red Sox wait until now to fix their staff? They should've addressed this in the offseason. It's scary now though.

Pedro
Lowe
Wakefield
Suppan
Burkett
Mendoza?

Timlin
Jones
Embree
Sauerbeck
Williamson
Kim