PDA

View Full Version : WGN national coverage?

Hokiesox
07-31-2003, 12:12 PM
I noticed that only one of the future matchups with the Royals is scheduled to be televised nationally by WGN. Is there any chance WGN could change that as the race gets more focused? I hope so, I'm sick of seeing the Sox play the Angels, or Rangers, or whatever other po-dunk team they're playing when GN is gracious enough to spare me from a Cubs game.

TornLabrum
07-31-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
I noticed that only one of the future matchups with the Royals is scheduled to be televised nationally by WGN. Is there any chance WGN could change that as the race gets more focused? I hope so, I'm sick of seeing the Sox play the Angels, or Rangers, or whatever other po-dunk team they're playing when GN is gracious enough to spare me from a Cubs game.

Not a snowball's chance in hell on the 4th of July.

mandmandm
07-31-2003, 12:20 PM
One of the Espn TV announcers said that ESPN will be broadcasting next Monday and Wednesday's games.

Hokiesox
07-31-2003, 12:24 PM
well, the 4th of July here in DC usually feels like hell, and they sell snowballs... (the east coast name for snow cones, lived here for 8 years, still don't get it)

Anyway, what is WGN's rationale for this? is it just because they own the Flubs?

Randar68
07-31-2003, 12:26 PM
well, the 4th of July here in DC usually feels like hell, and they sell snowballs... (the east coast name for snow cones, lived here for 8 years, still don't get it)

Anyway, what is WGN's rationale for this? is it just because they own the Flubs?

It's because ESPN is going to be televizing 2 of next week's Royals games nationally.

mandmandm
07-31-2003, 12:28 PM
I believe they have a partnership with the WB (Warner Brothers) that requires them to show alot of there programs. They have little flexibility. A few years ago they moved a bunch of their Sox and Cubs games over to the U, channel 26, which has a horrible signal and even worse non baseball programing. My guess is that a fall in baseball ratings influenced them to show less games.

Hokiesox
07-31-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
It's because ESPN is going to be televizing 2 of next week's Royals games nationally.

Well that's great! I'll get to listen to Harold Reynolds talk about how great the Royals are in between quick visions of white sox home runs...cut back to Harold talking about the "great story" the Royals are, and Johnny Miller working in Dodgers references whenever he can....cut back to some baseball here and there.

If it's not them, we'll get Gary Thorne who makes me want to puke as well. He belongs in a hockey rink talking about how "great" the red wings are while Panger sells out right next to him.

I'd rather watch Hawk and DJ.

but, I guess I can't have everything.

GO SOX!!!

delben91
07-31-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

The monday and wednesday games I assume?

moochpuppy
07-31-2003, 12:47 PM
Just penny up for MLB Extra Innings.

harwar
07-31-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Just penny up for MLB Extra Innings.

The schedule for today on mlb xtra-inngs doesn't include the WHITE SOX-royals.Although the royals play-by-play guy said last night that they are broadcasting tonights game as a makeup game,but that doeasn't mean the folks over at inDemand will pick it up.Looks like its just Rooney & Farmer for me tonight.

FJA
07-31-2003, 12:57 PM
Well that's great! I'll get to listen to Harold Reynolds talk about how great the Royals are in between quick visions of white sox home runs...cut back to Harold talking about the "great story" the Royals are, and Johnny Miller working in Dodgers references whenever he can....cut back to some baseball here and there.

If it's not them, we'll get Gary Thorne who makes me want to puke as well. He belongs in a hockey rink talking about how "great" the red wings are while Panger sells out right next to him.

I'd rather watch Hawk and DJ.

but, I guess I can't have everything.

GO SOX!!!

Harold Reynolds has been all about the Sox for a few weeks ... if you step back from the Sox a minute, the Royals are a great story from a reporter's/analyst's perspective, because they've done a lot with a little. It won't last, but you can't fault Reynolds for recognizing the Royals are a great story. But he has been more than fair to the Sox ... probably the most fair this side of Rob Dibble, who at some point started bleeding Silver and Black. (It must have been those outstanding 15 games or so he pitched for us in the mid-'90s.)

harwar
07-31-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by FJA
the Royals are a great story from a reporter's/analyst's perspective, because they've done a lot with a little. It won't last, but you can't fault Reynolds for recognizing the Royals are a great story

"the royals story" is quickly being replaced by "the marlins story"

FJA
07-31-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
One of the Espn TV announcers said that ESPN will be broadcasting next Monday and Wednesday's games.

Monday's game could be a GREAT chance for the Sox to show everyone what we're about on national television. If we do well in Seattle, you better believe that place will be full on half-price Monday.

Not only that, but you KNOW that they're going to bring up the field-rushing incidents considering they occurred the last two times the Royals came into town. If we can keep idiots off the field, that will also work well in our favor.

alohafri
07-31-2003, 01:09 PM
"If we can keep idiots off the field, that will also work well in our favor."

Which translates to: If we can keep the scrub fans off the field!

(Mrs. Aloha)

TornLabrum
07-31-2003, 05:15 PM

It's a combination of things:

1) as has been mentioned, WGN-TV is committed to its WB programming, espeically since the Tribune Co. is a part owner of the network.

2) These schedules are set pretty much in stone well before the start of the season, except perhaps for games where the time on the schedule is given as TBA. Remember how that make up game in Cleveland wasn't televised, even though it was on the original schedule?

Lip Man 1
07-31-2003, 07:12 PM
and remember that it's not just WGN anymore, Fox Sports Chicago has a say and isn't going to give up games just so WGN can show them.

and there's nothing wrong with former Sox announcer Gary Thorne, he's a hell of a lot better then that simp Darren Jackson.

Lip

VeeckAsInWreck
08-01-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by FJA
... probably the most fair this side of Rob Dibble, who at some point started bleeding Silver and Black. (It must have been those outstanding 15 games or so he pitched for us in the mid-'90s.)

Hey, maybe Dibble bleeds the Silver and Black after his involvement in beanball wars with the Brewers! I think it was back in 1995 that he nailed Pat Listach and all hell broke loose!

jcw218
08-01-2003, 01:44 AM
I know that Gary Miller will be in town for this weekend for the Monday game. I, however, do not know who the broadcasters for wednesday's will be.

Lip Man 1
08-01-2003, 11:48 AM
For those who don't know Gary "The Public Urinator" Miller is an avowed Cubs fan. He was born and raised on the North Side.

Lip