PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 7/31

Lip Man 1
07-31-2003, 11:38 AM
"I would rather take a shot at winning this thing now, going for it all and changing this around. Changing the attitude and the fans. We're in a major city here. Win now, and then maybe we don't have to keep piecing this thing together all the time. Maybe we don't have to try to figure out how to do it on a $50 million payroll.'' --Ken Williams to Greg Couch of the Chicago Sun Times.

I think I'm starting to like this guy!

Lip

voodoochile
07-31-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
"I would rather take a shot at winning this thing now, going for it all and changing this around. Changing the attitude and the fans. We're in a major city here. Win now, and then maybe we don't have to keep piecing this thing together all the time. Maybe we don't have to try to figure out how to do it on a $50 million payroll.'' --Ken Williams to Greg Couch of the Chicago Sun Times.

Lip

kenny understnds marketing better than anyone else in the whole front office from the sounds of things...

:gallas
"Win to draw fans? What do I do with the Elvis impersonators?"

hold2dibber
07-31-2003, 11:49 AM

Lip

[Insert sound of me hitting the floor as I faint.]

This is the best quote I have ever heard uttered from the lips of a representative of the Chicago White Sox. Is it possible that he/they actually get it? This is EXACTLY what White Sox fans have been clamoring for - go out and WIN something and you change the entire franchise's status, stature and future. Become a perennial contender and the next generation of baseball fans in Chicago will be Sox fans, not Cubs fans. And you add that to the renovations to the park and the the continued development of the neighborhood around the park, and voila!, attendance spikes and you don't have to piece together a team every year.

fledgedrallycap
07-31-2003, 11:52 AM
God, isn't that the true. Kenny, keep it up buddy.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2003, 12:03 PM
In the same story Couch took a slap at the Cubs by stating that the Cubs have an 80 million dollar payroll, the Sox 50.

"Imagine what Williams could do with an 80 million dollar payroll..."

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
07-31-2003, 12:08 PM

Lip

Strange things start happening around here when the Sox start winning. :smile:

But seriously folks... Sox management is showing they understand the stakes for fielding a winning team more than any other time since 1983. We still have major holes and lots of obstacles to overcome, but at least the front office is saying the RIGHT things. We all know their history for saying the wrong things. :cool:

:reinsy
"Anyone who thinks this team can catch Cleveland..."

:KW
"I can't ask ownership to spend a dollar when..."

:jerry
"Josh brings lots of different dimensions to our team. As a ballplayer, he is very..."

RKMeibalane
07-31-2003, 12:10 PM
Thank God. Finally, someone in front-office has seen the light.

Foulke You
07-31-2003, 12:18 PM
I can't believe that was coming from Sox management. I might faint alongside hold2dibber. Sox karma and morale is high folks.

Nick@Nite
07-31-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
[Insert sound of me hitting the floor as I faint.]

This is the best quote I have ever heard uttered from the lips of a representative of the Chicago White Sox. Is it possible that he/they actually get it? This is EXACTLY what White Sox fans have been clamoring for - go out and WIN something and you change the entire franchise's status, stature and future. Become a perennial contender and the next generation of baseball fans in Chicago will be Sox fans, not Cubs fans. And you add that to the renovations to the park and the the continued development of the neighborhood around the park, and voila!, attendance spikes and you don't have to piece together a team every year.

Well Said! :D:

Jerry, where's the credit card? I got some spending to do!
:reinsy
Buy! Buy! Buy!

gogosoxgogo
07-31-2003, 12:57 PM
Someone pinch me. I swear I'm in heaven right now.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-31-2003, 12:59 PM

i look at this picture above now and i dont want to put a gun to my head anymore. i never imagined saying this, but Kenny, you are doing great.

Rocky Soprano
07-31-2003, 01:00 PM
This is for KW! :gulp:

LETS GO SOX!

Lip Man 1
07-31-2003, 01:07 PM
Of course (and not to put a downer on this....)

Kenny Williams may want to start spending money but he doesn't OWN the club does he?

Lip

gogosoxgogo
07-31-2003, 01:09 PM
Of course (and not to put a downer on this....)

Kenny Williams may want to start spending money but he doesn't OWN the club does he?

Lip

well then, there's only one thing to do... WSI must buy the White Sox. I think everyone can pitch in a few bucks here or there... :)

Gumshoe
07-31-2003, 01:14 PM
In the same story Couch took a slap at the Cubs by stating that the Cubs have an 80 million dollar payroll, the Sox 50.

"Imagine what Williams could do with an 80 million dollar payroll..."

Lip

Don't scare me like that. He would be just like the Cubs, for every Colon he got, there would be a White or Koch in place. I like the statement, but we still have a manager that could cost us BIG time in the short ALDS series if we make it.

I can smell Jerry selling soon ...

Get KW and the Jerrys out and then we win

That is marketing

Gumshoe

LuvSox
07-31-2003, 01:17 PM
What an odd thing for KW to say, especially for a guy who was scheduled to step down a couple of months ago.

Nick@Nite
07-31-2003, 01:18 PM
"I would rather take a shot at winning this thing now, going for it all and changing this around. Changing the attitude and the fans. We're in a major city here. Win now, and then maybe we don't have to keep piecing this thing together all the time. Maybe we don't have to try to figure out how to do it on a $50 million payroll.''

----------------------------

History tells us that the French had a 4-day work week. The Germans had a 6-day work week. Who got clobbered?

The Royals are definitely resembling the French, that's for sure.

Look out KC, the White Sox offense is roaring like a nuclear powered panzer division, coming down I-70 at 120mph!

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-31-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by PinchALoaf
Look out KC, the White Sox offense is roaring like a nuclear powered panzer division, coming down I-70 at 120mph! [/B]

that is interesting :) . i never used an analogy like that before.

voodoochile
07-31-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
I can smell Jerry selling soon ...

I completely agree. All signs point toward JR selling this off-season, IMO. He is allowing many minor leaugers to be traded off. He has taken on a huge amount of FA's to be. Jr is taking a final shot at glory and getting out. He either makes it, or sells the team to someone who will HAVE to make some decisions about spending money to compete...

Nick@Nite
07-31-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
that is interesting :) . i never used an analogy like that before.

Have to admit that I ripped that line off from the book, "Hammer of the Gods". It was used to describe the energy generated from Led Zeppelin II.

In fact, got it playing as I type this... awe yeah!

A.T. Money
07-31-2003, 01:32 PM
I'm liking what I'm seeing here.......!!!

Dan H
07-31-2003, 02:06 PM

Lip

This is very interesting coming on the verge of the sixth anniversary of the White Flag Trade. That trade set this team back years. It is time to change this thing around now. The opportunity is there. The hell with prospects and hope springs eternal. 86 years is more than long enough.

alohafri
07-31-2003, 02:25 PM
You're right, Dan, 86 years and we are sooo tired of almost-ran teams!! Even in 2000 when everyone knew we would win the division, management did nothing to help us go from there. And I don't want to see that happen this year either. It might alienate even more fans if the Sox win the division and then collapse in the first round of the playoffs.

(mrs. Aloha)

Brian26
07-31-2003, 02:35 PM
White Sox Baseball 2003: Do or Die.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2003, 08:27 PM
Interesting thoughts from some connecting this activity to Uncle Jerry selling.

As some of you know that former Sox player that I interviewed on the 21st told me that when he was at Sox Fantasy Camp, this past Winter one of the minority owners told him that Reinsdorf has started the process of selling the club to some of the current minority owners.

After seeing the Williams' quote I immediately made the possible connection. If you are going to sell and the final price hasn't been finalized yet, what better way to drive it up then by increasing the
value of what you are selling.

How do you increase the value of the Sox?

Simple... win and draw more fans to the park.

And for those of you wondering I will not reveal the name of the minority owner but I have passed along the information to some of my associates in the Chicago media for examination and possible investigation.

Lip