PDA

View Full Version : This Headline is Great: Sox made Glover feel unwanted

fledgedrallycap
07-31-2003, 09:40 AM
Sox made Glover feel unwanted

from the suntimes
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep31.html

Although the article doesn't reflect the title, my first thought was: Get somebody out - and you'll feel wanted.

hold2dibber
07-31-2003, 10:18 AM
Glover did get people out - he was a good arm out of the bullpen. He wasn't any good as a starter, but he is a fine middle reliever. But JM mis-used and under utilized him. What made Rick White a better option than Glover? Certainly not performance. Yet JM repeatedly used White over Glover. I still don't understand why.

gosox41
07-31-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
Sox made Glover feel unwanted

from the suntimes
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep31.html

Although the article doesn't reflect the title, my first thought was: Get somebody out - and you'll feel wanted.

Glover has proven to be a good, solid reliever. Why JM refused to use him is beyond me. My guess is it has something to do with his love for tinkering and general cluelessness on handling a bullpen.

Bob

thecell
07-31-2003, 10:23 AM
He's gone now and the Sox are playing some great baseball. Let's focus on the prize!

NewyorkSoxFan
07-31-2003, 11:55 AM
And he got smacked around by the Yanks last nite.

NYSF

SoxOnTop
07-31-2003, 11:59 AM
If KW had waived whiney, fat, 6-plus ERA White in May we would probably not be having this conversation and Glover would have a sub 4 ERA.

I'm sorry to see him go, especially since I thought the Eyre for Glover trade was a masterpiece.....

Foulke You
07-31-2003, 12:10 PM
Glover struggled mightily earlier in the season and immediately lost Manuel's confidence. Why his confidence in White never lapsed is beyond me though. I think Glover suffered from "Keith Foulke Syndrome". Suffer one bad stretch and never get your old job back. Overall, I think the trade for Scott Schoenweiss (did i spell that right?) was a good one. Hopefully we'll be seeing Scott Schoenweiss and Matt Ginter in more situations and White can assume mop up duty with Koch.

voodoochile
07-31-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Glover struggled mightily earlier in the season and immediately lost Manuel's confidence. Why his confidence in White never lapsed is beyond me though. I think Glover suffered from "Keith Foulke Syndrome". Suffer one bad stretch and never get your old job back. Overall, I think the trade for Scott Schoenweiss (did i spell that right?) was a good one. Hopefully we'll be seeing Scott Schoenweiss and Matt Ginter in more situations and White can assume mop up duty with Koch.

That is probably the key point. It isn't that Schoenweiss is miles and years better than Glover (though he should be more consistent), but at least Manuel will use Schoenweiss and Ginter where he wouldn't use Sanders and Glover. It's strictly a psychological move to manage Jerry, not the bullpen.

MetalliSox
07-31-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Glover did get people out - he was a good arm out of the bullpen. He wasn't any good as a starter, but he is a fine middle reliever. But JM mis-used and under utilized him. What made Rick White a better option than Glover? Certainly not performance. Yet JM repeatedly used White over Glover. I still don't understand why.

When we have starters going 7 quality innings consistently, there is no need for a middle reliever like Glover.

Gumshoe
07-31-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

It's funny that you mention this. Think about it: White and Koch suffered some of the WORST stretches (and I mean lengthy!) that I have ever seen and they CONTINUED to get innings. This goes to show you that KW controls more than you think. Also, KW never liked Foulke for whatever reason and that's why JM handled him as such. Remember, Gordon earlier blew a LOT of games and JM still used him ... so I think there is more to be said.

I hope Ginter shows them how good he is. I was all about Ginter after I saw White pitch 3 times. NL guys SUCK

Gumshoe

SoxOnTop
07-31-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
It's strictly a psychological move to manage Jerry, not the bullpen.

You sure do give Prof. Chaos a lot of credit, Voodoo. Do you really think he is that cunning?

voodoochile
07-31-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
You sure do give Prof. Chaos a lot of credit, Voodoo. Do you really think he is that cunning?

I don't know if it is sinister or coniving, but if you have pitchers who the manager won't use, then it makes sense to go get different pitchers who the manager has to at least give a chance to before forgetting about.

No team can exist with only 4 arms in the pen that the manager feels comfortable with.

No one knows if Glover could have done more this year, but Manuel wouldn't use him. What good is he to the team if the manger won't use him? Move him and get a name pitcher so Manuel has to use more arms or look like a complete idiot.

MHOUSE
07-31-2003, 05:31 PM
No idea why JM would go with White or Koch over Glover. If he got regular work, Glover is a great MR. He has 5 or 6 scoreless innings before he was traded. He was a great guy too. When Tom Waddle hung out with the bullpen guys on that FSN show, Glover Wunsch and Wright were hilarious!