PDA

View Full Version : jeez, those missourians are sure laid back...

inta
07-31-2003, 06:42 AM
if any chicago team in a pennant race took a beating like the royals did last night i would never expect the chicago media to be so laid back as this guy....
(clipped from the KC star)

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/6423014.htm

Hokiesox
07-31-2003, 07:44 AM
he may be laid back but, unfortunately, he's got a point. We do have the tougher schedule. Good thing we play the red sox once they begin their annual choke-fest.

BTW, this is my first post on the board, been lurking for a while. Great comments and insight from everyone.

MarqSox
07-31-2003, 07:48 AM
Wow, talk about a homer ... No wonder Kansas City never wins. They get an old-fashioned butt whooping by the team directly behind them, and the newspapers treat them like mommy taking her little boy out for ice cream after he lost the big game. That's pathetic. Grow a sac, let the team have it.

For all that we rip on the columnists in this town, I gotta say: If they ever treated the Sox or Bears like that, I'd be even madder than when they gang up on us! That's pathetic.

delben91
07-31-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
he may be laid back but, unfortunately, he's got a point. We do have the tougher schedule. Good thing we play the red sox once they begin their annual choke-fest.

BTW, this is my first post on the board, been lurking for a while. Great comments and insight from everyone.

Hey, welcome aboard, always nice to have another DC area fan around!

:gulp:

VaSoxfan
07-31-2003, 08:12 AM
Frankly I'm sick of hearing about the tougher schedule. We have what, the 3rd or 4th best pitching staff in the AL. We have a lineup that is finally hitting the way it should. The defense is much, much improved since Alomar joined up. People are acting like this is a fad or hot streak that's going to fade away. I don't think it will. With our pitching alone, we should be able to compete with the better teams in the league. Add to that a lineup that is getting destructive, and this team is going to be very, very dangerous down the stretch.

I'm glad the Royals media feels that they can fall back on their schedule. They also play Minnesota a lot (not like that is much of a terror anymore) and they haven't played the Yanks either.

But head to head they still play us 11 times. After the last two matchups, our lineup tore two of their better pitchers to pieces. If that keeps up, they'll need a lot more than a weaker schedule to help them. Getting Sweeney back is great for them, but they need pitching help and lots of it. When Olivo tags you for 4 hits, there is a problem.

Hey KC media, your division lead just prior to the all-star break was 8 games over us. Now it's 2, and with our ace going tonight we stand an excellent chance of making it 1. It's time to start seriously thinking about the Sox.

I'm so sick of reading about the murderous schedule we have. We have a grand total of 6 games with Oakland (who is awful on the road) and Seattle. The Yanks and Red Sox will be tough, but we held our own with the Red Sox earlier. Anaheim is struggling, as is Minnesota. We have a pile of games with awful Texas, Cleveland, and Detroit too.

I say this team right now can compete with anyone. Bring on the heavies.

inta
07-31-2003, 08:33 AM
agreed. if the chicago media ever had an "oh, it's ok" attitude towards our teams... i dunno, it just wouldnt fit chicago..... much less the sox.

i too am sick of the hand wringing over our tougher schedule, sure we'll probably lose a few of those series, we'll probably win most of them tho if we keep playing the way we are. we can easily get a giant winning streak going like oakland did last year, it's all momentum for the playoffs, which i think is a given now.

daveb816
07-31-2003, 09:23 AM
Correction: They only have 3 vs. the A's.

gosox41
07-31-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by VaSoxfan
Frankly I'm sick of hearing about the tougher schedule. We have what, the 3rd or 4th best pitching staff in the AL. We have a lineup that is finally hitting the way it should. The defense is much, much improved since Alomar joined up. People are acting like this is a fad or hot streak that's going to fade away. I don't think it will. With our pitching alone, we should be able to compete with the better teams in the league. Add to that a lineup that is getting destructive, and this team is going to be very, very dangerous down the stretch.

I'm glad the Royals media feels that they can fall back on their schedule. They also play Minnesota a lot (not like that is much of a terror anymore) and they haven't played the Yanks either.

But head to head they still play us 11 times. After the last two matchups, our lineup tore two of their better pitchers to pieces. If that keeps up, they'll need a lot more than a weaker schedule to help them. Getting Sweeney back is great for them, but they need pitching help and lots of it. When Olivo tags you for 4 hits, there is a problem.

Hey KC media, your division lead just prior to the all-star break was 8 games over us. Now it's 2, and with our ace going tonight we stand an excellent chance of making it 1. It's time to start seriously thinking about the Sox.

I'm so sick of reading about the murderous schedule we have. We have a grand total of 6 games with Oakland (who is awful on the road) and Seattle. The Yanks and Red Sox will be tough, but we held our own with the Red Sox earlier. Anaheim is struggling, as is Minnesota. We have a pile of games with awful Texas, Cleveland, and Detroit too.

I say this team right now can compete with anyone. Bring on the heavies.

Maybe all this disrespect by the media will piss the Sox off and help them focus even more.

Bob

Iwritecode
07-31-2003, 09:39 AM
The Sox may have a tougher schedule but lately they have been proving that they are also one of the top teams around. Plus the Royals have 11 more games against a team that just beat the living snot out of them two days in a row. The Sox don't have that problem...

SoxFan76
07-31-2003, 10:00 AM
we are so used to not being the best team in the league. so as it was said earlier, there is nothing to fear with the "tougher" schedule, because the sox are the hottest team in the league only behind boston.

harwar
07-31-2003, 10:12 AM
I actually welcome the tougher schedule.We could walk through a bunch of weak teams and win the division easily only to get swept in the first round,or we could prove ourselves playing some of the best and toughest teams and show that we are ready to fight with the big boys after school is out.

chuckn98229
07-31-2003, 10:59 AM
For what it's worth - the MLB Extra Innings feed last night was from Kansas City. The Royals' announcers were very complimentary to Maggs. Said he was the best right fielder in the American League and that he might very well be considered for MVP. (We all know that he is the best right fielder in the city of Chicago, too!)

Nick@Nite
07-31-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by inta
if any chicago team in a pennant race took a beating like the royals did last night i would never expect the chicago media to be so laid back as this guy....
(clipped from the KC star)

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/6423014.htm

I've been at Kauffman Stadium the last two nights, enjoying the hell out of the frozen ropes that the Sox are hitting.

I asked the guy next to me if he (and Royals fans in general) feel if this is a crucial series. His response was pretty much the theme of the article posted... that's it's still July, etc. Tuesday nights attendance was something like 24K. Last nights attendance was only 20K. I was told the the DRays/Royals series this weekend is selling big time (due to promotions/reduced ticket pricing).

The Royals fans seem laid back and unfocused, indeed.

voodoochile
07-31-2003, 11:30 AM
Hopefully, the Royals come out tonight and play like "it's only July."

manuelsucks
07-31-2003, 12:08 PM
I agree, the article does have a point, but like everyone is saying, the whole tougher schedule is a bunch of bull****. We have been able to prove consistently that we can play up to the competition and unfortunately before the All-Star game we have proved that we can play below our competition. I don't think we have a lot to worry about with the way the White Sox are swinging the bats and not to mention the defense thats finally coming to play.