PDA

View Full Version : Greg Walker

lowesox
07-31-2003, 01:58 AM
This is a guy who deserves a whole lot of credit for turning this offense around.

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2003, 02:03 AM
I'm painfully short on Sox news up here. How's he doing from the fractured elbow surgery? And how's Harold doing as the interim coach (at least, that's what I heard)?

Shoeless Joe
07-31-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
I'm painfully short on Sox news up here. How's he doing from the fractured elbow surgery? And how's Harold doing as the interim coach (at least, that's what I heard)?

You know it's interesting, but ever since Harold came in as the batting coach this team has hit the cover out of the ball. Maybe we should give Greg Walker some more time to heal.

delben91
07-31-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

Here's the latest on Walker from today's Tribune. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030703soxnotes,1,5622616.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

Walk, don't run

Hitting coach Greg Walker wanted to be back in uniform Wednesday, but trainer Herm Schneider said no. That was understandable, given that Walker's right arm is still in a sling after he broke a bone near his elbow.

"I guess I might have to hit him with my cast," Walker joked.

Walker expected to miss only one game after getting struck by a line drive July 20 while flipping balls to Carlos Lee in the batting cage.

But after Walker awoke from surgery, he bit into a tube that was feeding oxygen to his lungs.

That affected his breathing.

"When you wake up and you're half groggy and there's a plastic pipe down your throat, the tendency is try to get it out," Walker said. "But it's over and they told me all along that once I started getting better, I'd make drastic improvements."

What helped Walker was watching Sox hitters come alive over the last two weeks. "I'm not surprised," Walker said. "This is a talented bunch of offensive players."

Brian26
07-31-2003, 01:15 PM
You know what's crazy...

I think the offense would have come around with Ward or Von Joshua at the helm still. There's just too much talent here. This lineup is loaded.

The previous poster is correct though. We've really caught fire since Baines has been here and Walker's been gone. Baines doesn't talk, as we know. Maybe the guys just like coaching themselves and taking care of their own things.