PDA

View Full Version : Olivo's Beef in the 8th

SoxOnTop
07-30-2003, 11:40 PM
Anyone know what Olive was jawing with DeFilice in the 8th inning during his at bat" I couldn't hear an comentary and I couldn't tell what was going on.

Anyone have a clue?

VeeckAsInWreck
07-30-2003, 11:42 PM
The Royals catcher DiFelice was upset because Olivo had stolen a base earlier with a 5-run lead.

pl8ump1012
07-30-2003, 11:42 PM
both TV (i was watching) and Radio Commentary (according to Post Game show) said that it "appeared" to have been about olivo stealin a base in the seventh inning when up by 5.

Something about if your team is up by more than four, you're supposed to stop trying so that the other team has more of a chance. :D:

gosox3072
07-30-2003, 11:44 PM
Yesterday i believe we were ahead by 6 runs and KC hit a 3 run homer. A 3 run game is close enough for a save. Should we have backed down then--NO!!!. Should we have backed down tonite--NO!!!. Thank you migel for keeping the pressure on the Royals

ihatethecubs
07-30-2003, 11:45 PM
it was nice to see him smack that hit into left to stick it to the difelice and shut up all those idiot royal fans... i just wish he wouldve stole second again!

manuelsucks
07-30-2003, 11:45 PM
Hawk and DJ were arguing over what Olivo and DeFilice were arguing about. DJ thought it was how hard he swug at the first pitch, while Hawk was convinced it was when Olivio stole 2nd with a five run lead. It had to be one of those two, and whichever it was, DeFilice was out of line. The name of the game is baseball not lets-not-try-to-hurt-eachothers-feelings.

Tragg
07-30-2003, 11:47 PM
The Royals deserved a good beating after what they did opening series this year. And they another one tomorrow and about 9 more from us after that.

Thunderstruck30
07-30-2003, 11:49 PM
I hate these unwritten rules of baseball. Anyone who complains about a team trying to run up the score is a crybaby.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-30-2003, 11:50 PM
The name of the game is baseball not lets-not-try-to-hurt-eachothers-feelings.
Guys,
I think Mike DiFelice needs a hug!
:barney&sham

Foulke You
07-30-2003, 11:54 PM
That was a big case of "BOO HOO! You're beating us too bad!! WAH WAH WAH!" Poor wittle Mike!

Anything can happen in baseball. As a previous poster pointed out, we saw a 6 run lead vanish yesterday after a Rick White grapefruit pitch served up a 3 run homer and turned it into a close game. Too much is at stake here in these games to play loosey goosey and lose focus. Besides, you wouldn't want any of that lack of intensity to carry over into tomorrow! I think Hawk nailed it on the head:

:hawk
"This is the first place Royals, you're out there to bury these guys!"

WinningUgly!
07-30-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
The Royals catcher DiFelice was upset because Olivo had stolen a base earlier with a 5-run lead.

DiFelice was just frustrated because the Sox have been destroying the Royals in front of their fans & there ain't a damn thing they can do about it. He took it out on Olivo for stealing in the 7th inning of a 9-4 game...hardly out of reach when it happened. The best part was that Harvey was holding him on at the time. What a sore loser. He'll get used to it again. Olivo should have gone for another SB on the 1st pitch after he singled. Valentin would have!

bobj4400
07-31-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck

According to Teddy Greenstein in the Cubune this morning, DiFelice cursed out Olivo after he swung at the first pitch fastball with a 10 run lead in the 8th.

"Olivo said that DiFelice cursed at him after Olivo swung at a first-pitch fastball with the Sox leading by 10 runs. Apparently DiFelice saw that as breaking an unwritten rule. Olivo disagreed."

I say DiFelice should worry more about the @ss kicking his team got than some stupid unwritten rule.

LuvSox
07-31-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
I couldn't hear an comentary and I couldn't tell what was going on.

Well, get out of the tavern!
:)

Eddie Gaedel
07-31-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by manuelsucks
Hawk and DJ were arguing over what Olivo and DeFilice were arguing about. DJ thought it was how hard he swug at the first pitch, while Hawk was convinced it was when Olivio stole 2nd with a five run lead. It had to be one of those two...

From the Sun--Times:
In the eighth inning with the rout on, the Sox' Miguel Olivo swung at a pitch, and Royals catcher Mike DiFelice got upset.
"He said, 'Why did you swing at that [deleted], [deleted],''' Olivo said. "He wanted to fight.''
Apparently, the Royals felt that the Sox should stop swinging.

DJ knew what he was talking about for once?!

dickallen15
07-31-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
According to Teddy Greenstein in the Cubune this morning, DiFelice cursed out Olivo after he swung at the first pitch fastball with a 10 run lead in the 8th.

"Olivo said that DiFelice cursed at him after Olivo swung at a first-pitch fastball with the Sox leading by 10 runs. Apparently DiFelice saw that as breaking an unwritten rule. Olivo disagreed."

I say DiFelice should worry more about the @ss kicking his team got than some stupid unwritten rule.

That's what DJ thought it was, but Hawk thought that was even more ridiculous that getting pissed about the steal. DiFelece is an ass, and not much of a ballplayer.Break out the brooms.

RKMeibalane
07-31-2003, 09:17 AM
I called it again. See last night's *Official* Gameday Thread, and look for my post where I made a predicition.

SpringfldFan
07-31-2003, 09:46 AM
I think Olivo was starting to feel his oats a little bit during the game. If you recall, earlier in the game he was a bit ticked thinking he was interfered with trying to throw a guy out at second. Also, when he got that last hit after the jawing, he flipped the bat down with a slight sneer on his face. Passion - I love it.

gogosoxgogo
07-31-2003, 09:53 AM
What!? That is absolutely ridiculous. DeFeliece needs to worry about staying in the major leagues. He needs to learn how to play first. He has no right to be bitching about getting his ass kicked by my White Sox. Olivo should have kicked that ****er's ass. Or we should have sent Big Frank after him. For a moment there, it looked like a fight was about to break out. I always wish it would have, I would have loved to see my Sox give a Royal ass-whoopin.

SoxFan76
07-31-2003, 10:09 AM
thats the last thing the sox need. if any other team got into a brawl it wouldnt be a big deal. but the sox cant do that. can you imagine the bad press if that ever happened? cubs fans would never let it go.

brewcrew/chisox
07-31-2003, 10:41 AM
Did anyone see CLee's face after he hit that double to drive in Olivo after that confrontation?

It was *****n priceless! Smiling ear to ear looking into the Sox dugout.

Then, right after the last out,right before Fox cut to comercial, the cameras went back to Lee again. He was blowing freakn kisses. I want to say he was blowing them at the KC players but I can't be sure....Regardless, it was funny as heck.

miker
07-31-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
thats the last thing the sox need. if any other team got into a brawl it wouldnt be a big deal. but the sox cant do that. can you imagine the bad press if that ever happened? cubs fans would never let it go.

No matter what the Sox or their fans do, the uninformed, mentally-challenged fans of the Chicago National League Ballclub and the rest of this nation, aren't going to start treating the Sox or Sox fans with anything resembling respect.

I was taking the train into work today and as we passed 35th Street, some yuppie-wannabe suburban tourist sitting across the aisle made a self-gratifying wisecrack about the Sox' "crappy ballpark" in front of his wife and kids. I could have overreacted and started something. But instead I just sat back in my seat, secure in the knowledge that unlike this doofus, I am free think for myself and cheer for my own ball team - the Chicago White Sox!

(Although I did have a sudden itch on my forehead that could only be scratched with a discrete extension of my middle finger...)

Go White Sox!

SoxOnTop
07-31-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Well, get out of the tavern!
:)

Dude, I have no cable TV and I'm stuck in Tampa. Where else am I going to catch the Sox.

Heck earlier this season I needed the tavern! :gulp:

SoxOnTop
07-31-2003, 10:50 AM
I believe that "unwritten" rule should only really apply to when you are playing an obviously inferior team. KC is in 1st FREAKING place. If they can't get up and fight back then that's their problem.... .... and it means the Central is for the taking!!!

Foulke You
07-31-2003, 11:02 AM
I'd take "Big Mo" Olivo over DeFilice in a fight any day. If Olivo put as much mustard behind a punch as he does firing the ball to second base, then he might have dislodged the guy's head from his body. :D:

voodoochile
07-31-2003, 11:12 AM
The Royals as a whole are ripe for the plucking right now. They are on the ropes.

I knew they were in trouble when Pena had to come out of the dugout in the 2nd inning to try to get Hernandez to settle down. He clearly was upset by Hernandez wildness and pitch selection and he was trying to fire the guy up. My thought was, "It's way to early in the game to be putting this much pressure on the team." It worked that inning, but by the next ining they were ready for the post game show and the Sox were just getting warmed up...

RKMeibalane
07-31-2003, 11:13 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/daver/darth.jpg

"The Royals underestimate the power of the South Side. If they wil not fight, then they will meet their destiny."

DrCrawdad
07-31-2003, 12:09 PM
Let's not forget that the KC pitcher hit Frank, and in my mind and in the mind of the ump it seemed intentional.

What was the score of the game that Koch blew in that opening series in KC? It seems to me that KC tacked on 6-9 runs late in the game to win.

kempsted
07-31-2003, 12:43 PM
The other thing that makes this so stupid is Miguel has been struggling at the plate, is a rookie and wants to start hitting. That is true regardless the score.

I also thought that Lee was kissing the KC players before they went to the break. It looked like he was teasing someone who was jawing at him. Both Lee and Miguel looked happy to cram it up their .... Much better than a fight - score another run :smile: :smile:

Foulke You
07-31-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/daver/darth.jpg

"The Royals underestimate the power of the South Side. If they wil not fight, then they will meet their destiny."

Great post! :)

Chisox353014
07-31-2003, 01:13 PM
Anybody else catch Grimsley's little jab at Olivo in today's Sun-Times? Hopefully Miguel will continue to pound Royal pitching in retaliation:

In the eighth inning with the rout on, the Sox' Miguel Olivo swung at a pitch, and Royals catcher Mike DiFelice got upset.

"He said, 'Why did you swing at that [deleted], [deleted],''' Olivo said. "He wanted to fight.''

Apparently, the Royals felt that the Sox should stop swinging.

"You're going to get your [rear] kicked every once in a while, but those guys over there are just on everything,'' Kansas City reliever Jason Grimsley said. "You just don't see that. Even Olivo is hitting the ball. If that's happening ...'

Hey Grimsley, screw you and your podunk team! :angry:

A.T. Money
07-31-2003, 01:17 PM
I hope we blast them even better tonight with Steve Loaiza on the mound. :D:

gogosoxgogo
07-31-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
Anybody else catch Grimsley's little jab at Olivo in today's Sun-Times? Hopefully Miguel will continue to pound Royal pitching in retaliation:

Hey Grimsley, screw you and your podunk team! :angry:

What the hell is that kind of comment about? That really pisses me off. Who the hell do these Royals think they are? They should not be messing with us. I think we need to send Thomas, Lee, White (former bar bouncer), and Everett after these little pricks. Plus, we've got Borchard down in the minors ready to do some ass-kicking. That guy's fore arms are about as big as my upper torso, he is a beast.