PDA

View Full Version : Late Night ESPN Reports


Lip Man 1
07-30-2003, 11:25 PM
Here's two that could "knock your Sox off..."

Hey Kenny, are you interested:

Frustrated by the constant losing, Alex Rodriguez is willing to consider being traded or reworking his 10-year, $252 million contract.

"If the Rangers found they could be better off without me, whether now or a year or two down the road, I'd be willing to sit down and talk,'' Rodriguez said before Texas' game against Boston on Wednesday night.


Rodriguez had never before indicated publicly that he would consider such a move.


The All-Star shortstop is in the third year of the record contract given to him by owner Tom Hicks. The Rangers, meanwhile, are headed for their fourth straight last-place finish in the AL West and have committed to a youth movement.

A-Rod also said he would be willing to restructure his contract if it would help the club." --from ESPN.com

AND

ESPN is also reporting that Aaron Boone demanded a trade today and Carl Linder chief idiot of the club said he would comply.

Boone has already almost been traded to Seattle as part of a three way involving the Reds, Mariners and Red Sox. That deal fell apart.

The Yanks have offered Danny Klaussen and three million. The Dodgers have offered top prospects and a little over a million.

Hey Kenny, you listening??????????

Lip

gosox3072
07-30-2003, 11:49 PM
The White Sox message boards are saying that we might be getting a 3 way deal with the Os and the Reds, getting boone and ponson for like crede harris and a bunch of prospects (miles, and 2 others i think.) I doubt this is true

Anyone know the contract status of Aaron Boone? If we were to keep him for a few years i would do that deal in an instant. If he was a free agent id much rather keep crede

Brian26
07-31-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by gosox3072
The White Sox message boards are saying that we might be getting a 3 way deal with the Os and the Reds, getting boone and ponson for like crede harris and a bunch of prospects (miles, and 2 others i think.) I doubt this is true



Sounds a bit far-fetched to get Boone and Ponson. Plus, this wouldn't be just mortgaging our future. This would be mortgaging our grandkids' future. The Sox farm system would be depleted.

MHOUSE
07-31-2003, 12:13 AM
A-Rod said he would restructure his contract if it "helps the Rangers". So would he restructure it to become tradeable? I don't know if there is anyone save Maggs on the Sox that I wouldn't give up to get A-Rod. I'm sure this is a HUGE pipedream for us Sox fans, but hey what the heck.

Brian26
07-31-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
A-Rod said he would restructure his contract if it "helps the Rangers". So would he restructure it to become tradeable? I don't know if there is anyone save Maggs on the Sox that I wouldn't give up to get A-Rod. I'm sure this is a HUGE pipedream for us Sox fans, but hey what the heck.

Call me crazy: I'd hate to see the Sox trade two big names right now to get A-Rod. The Sox are clicking 100% now. I would hate to see the chemistry of this team completely disrupted to bring in an outsider during the playoff hunt.

My point is, I think the pieces are in place for the Sox to win big right now...with maybe a minor addition here or there: Ponson, Suppan, maybe Boone. I don't think you do a blockbuster trade after going 11-2 in your last 13 games. That would come back to bite us badly.

doublem23
07-31-2003, 12:19 AM
Boone and Ponson?

I'd love it, but I doubt it.

:KW
I had little to do with that three-way deal that got us Colon; I'm not that creative.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-31-2003, 12:20 AM
The moment I read that headline on ESPN.com I told my dad that maybe the deal hawk was talking about on the radio that would knock your socks off would be getting arod but I wasn't being serious. I'd have to agree I'd trade probably anyone except for Magglio for Arod

MHOUSE
07-31-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Call me crazy: I'd hate to see the Sox trade two big names right now to get A-Rod. The Sox are clicking 100% now. I would hate to see the chemistry of this team completely disrupted to bring in an outsider during the playoff hunt.

My point is, I think the pieces are in place for the Sox to win big right now...with maybe a minor addition here or there: Ponson, Suppan, maybe Boone. I don't think you do a blockbuster trade after going 11-2 in your last 13 games. That would come back to bite us badly.

I doubt A-Rod will be moved by tomorrow. I meant this as more of an offseason acquisition. I agree that the chemistry needs to remain intact as much as possible. But this offseason I would welcome trade talks about A-Rod.

Brian26
07-31-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I doubt A-Rod will be moved by tomorrow. I meant this as more of an offseason acquisition. I agree that the chemistry needs to remain intact as much as possible. But this offseason I would welcome trade talks about A-Rod.

OK, we agree. This winter, definitely KW should work on it.

MHOUSE
07-31-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
OK, we agree. This winter, definitely KW should work on it.

I'll drink to that Brian. :gulp:

Brian26
07-31-2003, 12:31 AM
Cheers!
:gulp:
:gulp:

Two for the two wins so far, and one for hopefully tomorrow night...

:gulp:

lowesox
07-31-2003, 01:51 AM
**** Arod. I hate him. He may be a good player, but he represents all that is wrong about this game. When he was signing that huge deal the Sox, who had a playoff caliber team, offered him something like 20 million a year and he went to Texas the $hithole of the AL for 6 million more? He could care less about winning, all he cares about are his pockets.

He can rot in Texas as far as I'm concerned.

DonkeyKongerko
07-31-2003, 02:05 AM
Scott Boras. Nuff said.

WhiteSox = Life
07-31-2003, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
**** Arod. I hate him. He may be a good player, but he represents all that is wrong about this game. When he was signing that huge deal the Sox, who had a playoff caliber team, offered him something like 20 million a year and he went to Texas the $hithole of the AL for 6 million more? He could care less about winning, all he cares about are his pockets.

He can rot in Texas as far as I'm concerned.

Come on, lowesox. Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

:)

inta
07-31-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
**** Arod. I hate him. He may be a good player, but he represents all that is wrong about this game. When he was signing that huge deal the Sox, who had a playoff caliber team, offered him something like 20 million a year and he went to Texas the $hithole of the AL for 6 million more? He could care less about winning, all he cares about are his pockets.

He can rot in Texas as far as I'm concerned.

i think that's obvious too by the fact he left Seattle....

MarqSox
07-31-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
**** Arod. I hate him. He may be a good player, but he represents all that is wrong about this game. When he was signing that huge deal the Sox, who had a playoff caliber team, offered him something like 20 million a year and he went to Texas the $hithole of the AL for 6 million more? He could care less about winning, all he cares about are his pockets.

He can rot in Texas as far as I'm concerned.

I gotta really disagree with you. I have the utmost respect for A-Rod. So what, he signed the biggest deal in baseball history. You're telling me, if you could sign a contract for $250 million that you'd say "Aw, that's too much. How about we do $50 million and spend the rest on getting me good coworkers." Gimme a break, you'd go for the cash, and if you didn't, you're crazy.

A-Rod is a great person as well. Upstanding citizen, he knows (and respects!) baseball history, he's not horribly cocky, he plays the game like it's supposed to be played, and he's a philanthropist. Did you know that every bonus and incentive clause in his contract he donates to charity? That amounts to about $1 million every year. Yeah, he can afford it, but so can a lot of guys who don't give it.

You're welcome to your opinion, I just think A-Rod gets a bad rap.

dickallen15
07-31-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by inta
i think that's obvious too by the fact he left Seattle....

The other point would be if ARod was traded, being a veteran, in the middle of a multi-year contract, he could demand a trade at the end of the season. He would be awful hard to trade, and with Boras being his agent, would probably elect free agency. He's a great player, but makes way too much money, and I question the impact he would have on winning. Unless Jeter has a career ending injury, ARod is going nowhere.

gosox41
07-31-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Here's two that could "knock your Sox off..."

Hey Kenny, are you interested:

Frustrated by the constant losing, Alex Rodriguez is willing to consider being traded or reworking his 10-year, $252 million contract.

"If the Rangers found they could be better off without me, whether now or a year or two down the road, I'd be willing to sit down and talk,'' Rodriguez said before Texas' game against Boston on Wednesday night.


Rodriguez had never before indicated publicly that he would consider such a move.


The All-Star shortstop is in the third year of the record contract given to him by owner Tom Hicks. The Rangers, meanwhile, are headed for their fourth straight last-place finish in the AL West and have committed to a youth movement.

A-Rod also said he would be willing to restructure his contract if it would help the club." --from ESPN.com

AND

ESPN is also reporting that Aaron Boone demanded a trade today and Carl Linder chief idiot of the club said he would comply.

Boone has already almost been traded to Seattle as part of a three way involving the Reds, Mariners and Red Sox. That deal fell apart.

The Yanks have offered Danny Klaussen and three million. The Dodgers have offered top prospects and a little over a million.

Hey Kenny, you listening??????????

Lip

Knowing Scott Boras, his idea of restructuring a contract involves adding more money and even more years onto it.

Unless A-Rod is willing to take a $10 mill. pay cut per year, I don't think he'd be a good fit for the Sox. They're a team on a limited budget and it's dumb to tie down all that cash for him. The economics of baseball have changed, and if A-Rod were an FA today he wouldn't get $25 mill per year. A-Rod has proven that one player can't make a difference between winning and losing. Plus he would cost a ton in prospects. Definitely not worth it.

Bob

gogosoxgogo
07-31-2003, 09:43 AM
Yeah, ARod is not going anywhere. If he did restructure, it would be with the Rangers. If he was traded, it would be to the Yankees. ARod wants to stay in Texas, he wants to make that situation work.

As for Boone, he's going to the Yankees. They are going to buy him out from the Reds.

harwar
07-31-2003, 09:59 AM
First of all,KW was very close to pulling off a deal for Ponson,but they wanted Crede AND a top pitching prospect.At the same time he was trying to get A.Boone to replace Crede but everyone and their brother all of a sudden wanted Boone and it all fell apart.Fine with me as i think Crede is going to be a superstar.

Next,I wouldn't trade Maggs for anyone right now.Hes' the premier RF in the AL and,will be in my humble opinion, one of the top 5 best players in years to come.

Also,A Rod would be a great improvement to any team.Not only might he end up as the best SS of all time but he is a VERY smart ballplayer and works hard with his teammates to help make them better.He makes everyone around him play better and smarter ball.But who in the world could afford the guy?

mandmandm
07-31-2003, 10:04 AM
The guy has enough money to keep his great great grandkids happy. Think he is starting to think that winning is important? He worked out with Maggs in the offseason. Maybe he would take less to come to the great city of Chicago. A great post season and getting Arod along with resigning most of the current members would be a huge move to sway Chicago baseball fans from the dark side.

Ok, now I promise to lay off the bong.

guillen4life13
07-31-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by mandmandm
Ok, now I promise to lay off the bong.

I don't. This dreaming is good fun! :gulp:

I'm kidding for you all who might think I'm serious.

kevingrt
07-31-2003, 10:10 AM
I don't think Kenny or Jerry really want Aaron Boone. They seem to be to in love with Crede, and I don't really see Willie Harris moving anytime too. Willie could be a huge player of the bench come September and October, hopefully!

gosox41
07-31-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by harwar


Also,A Rod would be a great improvement to any team.Not only might he end up as the best SS of all time but he is a VERY smart ballplayer and works hard with his teammates to help make them better.He makes everyone around him play better and smarter ball.But who in the world could afford the guy?

So how much better has he made the Texas Rangers?? :cool:

Bob

jabrch
07-31-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by gosox3072
The White Sox message boards are saying that we might be getting a 3 way deal with the Os and the Reds, getting boone and ponson for like crede harris and a bunch of prospects (miles, and 2 others i think.) I doubt this is true

Anyone know the contract status of Aaron Boone? If we were to keep him for a few years i would do that deal in an instant. If he was a free agent id much rather keep crede


Boone is arbitration elig. next year, then a FA the following year.

harwar
07-31-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
So how much better has he made the Texas Rangers?? :cool:

Bob

see..Hank Blalock,Mark Teixeira,& Michael Young...

Rocky Soprano
07-31-2003, 11:26 AM
I read in the Sun-Times that A-Rod would be willing to consider a trade if it would help out the team. He said he doenst want to get used to losing and if him being traded would help then he would consider it.

I guess he has realized he is going nowhere in Texas.

So how do get him in a Sox uniform?

dickallen15
07-31-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I gotta really disagree with you. I have the utmost respect for A-Rod. So what, he signed the biggest deal in baseball history. You're telling me, if you could sign a contract for $250 million that you'd say "Aw, that's too much. How about we do $50 million and spend the rest on getting me good coworkers." Gimme a break, you'd go for the cash, and if you didn't, you're crazy.

A-Rod is a great person as well. Upstanding citizen, he knows (and respects!) baseball history, he's not horribly cocky, he plays the game like it's supposed to be played, and he's a philanthropist. Did you know that every bonus and incentive clause in his contract he donates to charity? That amounts to about $1 million every year. Yeah, he can afford it, but so can a lot of guys who don't give it.

You're welcome to your opinion, I just think A-Rod gets a bad rap.

One question, why does a guy making $25 million a year get bonus and incentive clauses. Shouldn't you expect him to compete for the MVP every year with that salary. I'm sorry I think ARod is a great guy, and player, but I'm not giving him any credit for giving bonus and incentive money to charity.

BKozi
07-31-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
**** Arod. I hate him. He may be a good player, but he represents all that is wrong about this game. When he was signing that huge deal the Sox, who had a playoff caliber team, offered him something like 20 million a year and he went to Texas the $hithole of the AL for 6 million more? He could care less about winning, all he cares about are his pockets.

He can rot in Texas as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think we should take it out on A-Rod because he knew how to play the system. If I remember correctly, we offered him something like 15 million over 6 years (somebody correct me if I'm way off). Regardless, the Sox were never seriously in the running for him, they just acted like they were to apease the fans. You can't blame a player for being willing to trade a ring for cash. Otherwise, why would anybody sign a contract extension on any crappy team? They should just take a huuuuge pay cut to try and get on with the Yankee and try to win that ring. If grabbing the cash is so bad, then we should be arguing that he should have taken his same salary in Seattle and just stayed there for 10 more years.

If somebody out there was willing to pay that much, I don't see any problem with A-Rod going after it. Besides, it's not like Texas sold everybody else right away. They tried to put a contender on the field but it didn't work out. Personally, I'd love to see him in a Sox uniform.

Rocky Soprano
07-31-2003, 11:42 AM
Should of know someone else would of started a thread on this.


Valentin, Everett, two minor leaguers

for A-Rod.

:gulp:

Paulwny
07-31-2003, 11:59 AM
From the AP:
"He is an asset and we are not interested in considering any kind of trade nor does he want to be traded," Hicks said. "Alex is fully on board with building our team and our plan."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/wire/sns-ap-bba-red-sox-rangers-folo,0,1220312.story?coll=sns-ap-baseball-headlines