PDA

View Full Version : Schoeneweis

gogosoxgogo
07-30-2003, 10:38 PM
After watching this guy pitch today, I'm not too fond on him. To me, he looked like a left handed Billy Koch. He was throwing hard, but all he threw were fast balls that didn't move. They were all straight. It looks like this guy is going to get hammered. He looked even worse when facing a right hander.

SoxOnTop
07-30-2003, 10:45 PM
I did notice that he threw nothing but fastballs as well. But in his defense, I doubt that Olivo has even had a chance to catch this guy's duece, so he probably stuck with the heat. With that kind of lead you can afford to be bland.

A.T. Money
07-30-2003, 11:08 PM
And let's face it...this was a blowout. Just throw strikes and stretch your arm out with the heat. Hopefully he can impress enough to earn a spot start here and there.

JJAustin69
07-30-2003, 11:17 PM
He supposedly has some type of wicked sinker. I guess we'll find out.

MHOUSE
07-30-2003, 11:29 PM
I noticed it was straight fastballs too. He's been ok as a starter so he must have more than one pitch. We'll see what he does in a real situation instead of a blowout. Ginter looked good.

doublem23
07-30-2003, 11:35 PM
There's one big difference between Shoenweis and Koch... Shoenwies's fastballs are hard.

manuelsucks
07-30-2003, 11:41 PM
After seeing Schoeneweis pitch today I don't want to make an opinion of him yet. Its to early to say if he will do any good or bad. I mean he just joined to clubhouse yesterday, so I'll give him some slack. But I do agree, his start today wasn't too impressive.

A.T. Money
07-31-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by manuelsucks
After seeing Schoeneweis pitch today I don't want to make an opinion of him yet. Its to early to say if he will do any good or bad. I mean he just joined to clubhouse yesterday, so I'll give him some slack. But I do agree, his start today wasn't too impressive.

He gave up 2 singles, on 0-2 counts, throwing nothing but heat. It was a blowout.

How many runs did he give up? ZERO. That's all I care about.

We're winning 15-4, we bring in our new guy to stretch his arm out, and people still find a reason to criticise. I'm not picking just on you manuelsucks, but it's ridiculous to say that it wasn't impressive. The guy threw 96 MPH, threw 4-seamers, and still gave up nothing.

Were you expecting him to strike out the side?

Brian26
07-31-2003, 12:13 AM
I love it. I think he looks good in a Sox uniform. Hawk said the exact same thing...even said he's liked him for the past couple of years.

He looked very CONFIDENT on the mound tonight.

And here's the key: never underestimate the importance of post-season experience on a pitching staff. Remember 2000 when our bullpen melted down because they looked like scared 12 year olds playing in front of the largest little league crowd of the year? If we can bring this guy in down the stretch or in the playoffs in a close game in the 6th or 7th inning, it will be huge. You can never have too many good lefties in the bullpen either. With Ginter on the rightside now, I think we're going to be just fine.

whitesoxwilkes
07-31-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
[B]I love it. I think he looks good in a Sox uniform. Hawk said the exact same thing...even said he's liked him for the past couple of years.

B]

Did anyone else notice that his last name was spelled wrong on his new uniform?

They got the e and i in his last name reversed.

fquaye149
07-31-2003, 08:41 AM
the magic A word - adjustment. in his first games his whip is sky high, but era is llloooooow. he's probably pitched in kc maybe 3 times a year AT MOST...maybe 3 times every other year...give him time like boy george

Hullett_Fan
07-31-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes

I thought it looked wrong. Nice catch!

gosox41
07-31-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
After watching this guy pitch today, I'm not too fond on him. To me, he looked like a left handed Billy Koch. He was throwing hard, but all he threw were fast balls that didn't move. They were all straight. It looks like this guy is going to get hammered. He looked even worse when facing a right hander.

I don't like this trade. The Sox don't need another guy who can dominate lefites. They need a guy to get righties out. Who is better then this, Schoeneweis or Glover??

Bob

LuvSox
07-31-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes

It was hard to see all of the letters, his name is a mile long.

A.T. Money
07-31-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I don't like this trade. The Sox don't need another guy who can dominate lefites. They need a guy to get righties out. Who is better then this, Schoeneweis or Glover??

Bob

Schoney is better, because he throws strikes. Glover has too many problems with the strike zone.

gogosoxgogo
07-31-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
There's one big difference between Shoenweis and Koch... Shoenwies's fastballs are hard.

If that's the only difference, send this guy to waivers right now. I don't care how hard you throw, if it's straight, it's going to get hammered. Kyle Farnsworth last year topped 100mph on several occasions, but his ball didn't move an inch. What was his final ERA? 7 something?

A.T. Money
07-31-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
If that's the only difference, send this guy to waivers right now. I don't care how hard you throw, if it's straight, it's going to get hammered. Kyle Farnsworth last year topped 100mph on several occasions, but his ball didn't move an inch. What was his final ERA? 7 something?

The Angels brought this guy in to face Barry Bonds last year, and he got him out every time. How bad can he be? It's about location.

Damaso Marte throws a straight 4-seam fastball too, yet no one complains about him.

How about we start thinking the glass is half full for a change.

Steve Bartman
07-31-2003, 10:55 AM
He hasn't given up any homeruns this year to lefties, so let's not make any Kotch comparisons. I hear he also has 3 good pitches: fastball, sinker, curve. It was nice to see Ginter pitch well last night too.

White_Sock
07-31-2003, 02:08 PM
Before we start comparing this guy to Koch:

Throwing straight will pay of only if you can change speeds well. Case in point: Kieth Foulke

Don't compare the new guy to "the human pitching machine" Koch until we see that he absolutely can't change speeds.

Any guy who can both start and relieve effectively has to be able to change speeds just because a starting pitcher can't rely purely on straight hard fastballs.

If he starts to incorperate a starting pitchers mentality while he pitches MR then we're going to have a spectacular resource on our hands.

Finally - Sorry about not mentioning his name in the whole post, but i figured it would take less energy to add this little piece to the end instead of typing "Schoeneweis" a bunch of times.