PDA

View Full Version : Boomer back?

MarqSox
08-24-2001, 06:54 PM
Hot off the wire from The Associated Press:

Wells Doesn't Rule Out White Sox

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) Chicago White Sox pitcher David Wells, sidelined for the rest of the season by a back injury, has not ruled out returning to the team next season.

Wells doesn't expect the White Sox to pick up his $10 million option, but said Friday he might consider coming back with an incentive-laden deal.

``I had a great time in Chicago,'' Wells said. ``I'm going to talk with Kenny (GM Ken Williams). I owe him eight or nine more complete games.''

Wells, who lives in the area, visited with teammates before the White Sox played at the Tampa Bay Devil Rays on Friday night.

The 38-year-old left-hander had surgery July 18 to repair two discs in his back. Wells recently started his rehab program and said he should resume throwing in the next month.

Wells went 5-7 with a 4.47 ERA this year. The White Sox will pay a $1 million buyout if they don't exercise the option.

``He's a guy who still can pitch,'' White Sox manager Jerry Manuel said. ``David Wells would fit well on anybody's staff.''

Wells, a 20-game winner last year for Toronto, is 8-1 in the playoffs, including a victory in Game 1 of the 1998 World Series for the Yankees. He pitched a perfect for New York on May 17, 1998.

Daver
08-24-2001, 07:03 PM
If he is willing to sign an incentive deal with a 2 or 3 mil.base yes I want him back.

OfficerKarkovice
08-24-2001, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by daver
If he is willing to sign an incentive deal with a 2 or 3 mil.base yes I want him back.

I second that notion.

Chisox_cali
08-24-2001, 07:16 PM
we really need a second lefty in the rotation. Parque is working outta the bullpen JM has already said that i dont thnk that that Corwin Malone guy that randar was talking about will be ready yet so unless we pick up a lefty in the offseason i say we stay with boomer

idseer
08-24-2001, 08:55 PM
he just may have one more decent season in him. i'd take him for the right price.

voodoochile
08-24-2001, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by idseer
he just may have one more decent season in him. i'd take him for the right price.

Ditto...

So far it's unanimous (sp?)...

:moron
"Make that 6-1. Boomer scares me and the cat on my head hates him..."

Daver
08-24-2001, 10:46 PM
Jay you're just pissed because fluffy the cat is a Sox fan.

FarWestChicago
08-24-2001, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by daver
Jay you're just pissed because fluffy the cat is a Sox fan.

That is an unfounded rumor! You can't prove the cat on my head is a Sox fan.

Daver
08-24-2001, 10:54 PM
Yes I can I sold him the cat.

FarWestChicago
08-24-2001, 10:57 PM
Yes I can I sold him the cat.

Well, now I know why Fluffy sinks her claws in my head when I'm producing drivel for the tabloid I work for. I think I'm gonna get a new Persian named Sammy!

Daver
08-24-2001, 11:00 PM
Fluffy is a he,and I have your new cat ready Jay,this one is tiger srtipe to add some flash to your do,might attract the ladies.

FarWestChicago
08-24-2001, 11:06 PM
Fluffy is a he

Well that explains a few things. Damn Sox loving cat!

Procol Harum
08-25-2001, 12:27 AM
yeah, for an incentive-heavy deal, I'd be willing to take a flyer on his coming back to eat up some innings and win 12-14 games. Only problem is keeping him from eating everything in sight--they ought to stipulate that he go through a training regimen and drop 30 lbs.
:XL
"Say, I'm mighty hungry...pass me some of them mashed 'taters, will ya?"

chisoxfanatic
08-25-2001, 12:33 AM
I think it would be great for him to sign for one more season, with his age in mind, if he is 100% ready to play.

Heather the Redbird