PDA

View Full Version : Roberto Alomar...keep or FA?

Joel Perez
07-30-2003, 10:27 PM
Guys and gals....I say keep him!!!!

Yes, it may cost us big $$$. Yes, he is in his mid 30s. Yes, he may have lost a step or two.

But I have seen just how much the team has given a boost just because we have him.

His defense is still better than what we have had out there. Plus with his experience, he can mentor those around him.

We have also seen since Ray-Ray's bye bye how difficult it is to find adequate replacements for a good, all around 2b. Good second basemen do not grow on trees, especially since if you have traded for a HOF-caliber player like RA.

I say I hope the Sox make every effort to extend him a contract extension. What are the alternatives out there??? Seriously???

Just my $.02

gogosoxgogo
07-30-2003, 10:33 PM
It depends if we can get to the post season and how far we can get.

WhiteSoxWinner
07-30-2003, 10:33 PM
I would agree. I think Alomar is a stabilizing influence in the middle of the field. Considering that someone else pointed out in another thread that our pitching staff could be relatively cheap net year, let's keep this guy.

SoxOnTop
07-30-2003, 10:40 PM
Give him the money we'll save by letting Jose walk. He can't be that expensive since all that power he used to have is gone. Funny, I always thought you gained power w/ age. But I wouldn't give him more than a 2 year deal. I don't know how long he'll last.

MHOUSE
07-31-2003, 12:17 AM
Let Jose walk and resign Alomar. Everett can walk too and we might get a draft pick and save money. Alomar has a few decent/good years left in him. He's solid defensively and he can hit well enough. We don't have a hot 2nd base prospect he would keep down and with the cheap rotation we can spend money on SS and CF which will be our two biggest holes next year. YES keep Roberto Alomar.

gogosoxgogo
07-31-2003, 09:31 AM
Everyone is saying let Jose walk (which I don't have a major problem with), but who is going to fill in at short? Hummel? He's no major leaguer in my opinion. I think we'll have to comb the free agent market.

mandmandm
07-31-2003, 09:37 AM
Easy, gogo, Arod is the answer.

gogosoxgogo
07-31-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by mandmandm
Easy, gogo, Arod is the answer.

You forgot your deep pink.

kevingrt
07-31-2003, 10:12 AM
I'm saying let Robbie go... Willie can take over the position or Aaron Miles should be ready anytime soon. Don't want to take a huge contract that Robbie will probably want.

guillen4life13
07-31-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by kevingrt
I'm saying let Robbie go... Willie can take over the position or Aaron Miles should be ready anytime soon. Don't want to take a huge contract that Robbie will probably want.

Is that you, Jerry?

haha. I respect that opinion (it's realistic, to say the least). I say keep him for a one year deal and have Harris learn from him. Meanwhile, Harris can play CF if Reed/Borchard aren't ready next year.

jabrch
07-31-2003, 10:35 AM
The problem is that with the Collective Bargaining Agreement as it is, he can take a paycut of no more than 20%...That would have him making about 7MM. I really like his D, but I don't know if we can afford that much if we still plan on resigning Bartolo and going out and getting a CF. We are letting Everett go and I hope we have plans to pursue something new in CF.

I like Alomar, but I think his contract would make it very hard to resign him.