PDA

View Full Version : 4 Man Rotation?

gogosoxgogo
07-30-2003, 04:45 PM
Buehrle was on with Corey McPheron (I butchered that name) and Jerko today. He talked of the possibility of the Sox going into a 4-man rotation. He said that him, Garland, and Colon were up for it, but Loaiza was unsure. I'm undecided on this issue. On the one hand, all 4 of those starters have been extremely effective this year. If we could bypass the fifth starter, that would give us a chance each and every game. On the other hand, I don't want to wear those arms out by the post season. We are going to need them to come through big in the post season, and a 4 man rotation seems like a lot of extra work. Also, if Loaiza is unsure, I don't think we mess with that. I don't want to screw up any type of pattern this guy has. That is one arm you do not screw around with.

kermittheefrog
07-30-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Buehrle was on with Corey McPheron (I butchered that name) and Jerko today. He talked of the possibility of the Sox going into a 4-man rotation. He said that him, Garland, and Colon were up for it, but Loaiza was unsure. I'm undecided on this issue. On the one hand, all 4 of those starters have been extremely effective this year. If we could bypass the fifth starter, that would give us a chance each and every game. On the other hand, I don't want to wear those arms out by the post season. We are going to need them to come through big in the post season, and a 4 man rotation seems like a lot of extra work. Also, if Loaiza is unsure, I don't think we mess with that. I don't want to screw up any type of pattern this guy has. That is one arm you do not screw around with.

I'm a big fan of the 4 man rotation. I think it would work.

Randar68
07-30-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

I am also a big fan, but pitchers since the started collegiate or pro ball have generally been throwing during the season under the premise of 4 days rest.

It takes to to build the arm strength and endurance to do it. I don't want to go to a 4-man for the rest of the season only to have Loaiza, Buehrle and Colon burned out come October.

pudge
07-30-2003, 05:28 PM
Yeah KW said they're not going four man until maybe September. They'll use a 5th starter three times in August I believe. This is probably wise. Wouldn't want dead arms heading into the play-offs like 2000. Howry's arm problems hurt us the most that year, so we also have to watch the pen's use.

harwar
07-30-2003, 05:29 PM
I used to love the 4-man rotation years ago but today most pitchers are just not tough enough or not used to it.
Going to a 4-man now would be suicidal.August is the toughest month to get through for pitchers and many wear down in mid-september from overuse.August is the month to get the starters out as soon a possible(If you have a healthy bullpen) so as to save on innings for the late stretch run and playoffs.When sept comes pitchers not over-used can smell the barn and seem to get a second wind and pitch well.

Brian26
07-30-2003, 08:57 PM
I don't like it at all.

Our pitchers have been consistently pitching into the 7th and 8th innings. Doing that on 4 days rest instead of 5 is really risking it.

Rather see a 5-man rotation.

Thunderstruck30
07-30-2003, 11:48 PM
Id say stick with the 5 man rotation. I dont want these starters to mess up their arms. By the way, whos the 5th starter?

TornLabrum
07-30-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

These guys aren't used to it, and I've asked Billy Pierce about it in the past. He said basically that you would have to work into something like that to do it for any length of time. These guys have been going every fifth day since they started in the minors.

Jerko
07-31-2003, 09:10 AM
The Reds went to a 4 man rotation, and yes, their pitchers do suck, but when they went to the 4 man, they were close to first place. Now they are in 5th. I am not blaming that entirely on the fact that they went to a 4 man rotation, but that seems to be when they started getting hammered even worse than usual.

gosox41
07-31-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo

KW better get a fifth starter.

Bob

kevingrt
07-31-2003, 10:13 AM
I would love a 4th starter if we can't get Suppan or Ponson or some 4th or 5th guy in a deal today. Colon, Buerhle, Jon, and E-Lo just can't get tired though, or we are screwed in the postseason, if we get there.

Paulwny
07-31-2003, 10:36 AM
Did anyone else hear this last night?
I swear I heard Farmer say that Schoeneweis will start a game in Seattle.
Unless we get another starter, Schoeneweis may be the one.