JJAustin69
07-30-2003, 04:59 PM
Looks like Royals missed that one.

MHOUSE
07-30-2003, 05:00 PM
Link? Who else was involved?

JJAustin69
07-30-2003, 05:02 PM
Just saw it as a pop up during the Cubs/Giants on ESPN. Waiting for details.

fledgedrallycap
07-30-2003, 05:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/story?id=1587533

Reds continue to unload salaries

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

The Oakland Athletics, seeking to bolster their lineup, acquired power-hitting outfielder Jose Guillen from the Cincinnati Reds on Wednesday, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports.

In return, the Reds get pitchers Aaron Harang and Joe Valentine, plus an unnamed minor leaguer.

This has been a breakout season for Guillen, despite a logjam of outfielders in Cincinnati for much of the season. Guillen is batting .337 with 23 homers and 63 RBI in just 315 at-bats for the Reds.

Cincinnati continues to unload salaries, even though the Reds fired general manager Jim Bowden and manager Bob Boone on Monday. The Reds shipped closer Scott Williamson to the Red Sox on Tuesday.

The Reds, 47-59 entering play Wednesday, are likely to unload more contracts before Thursday's trade deadline. Aaron Boone, the ousted manager's son, likely will be one of the players sent to a contending club.

The Athletics, in close races for both the AL West title and the wild card, need offensive help. They are hitting just .253 as a team.

Harang, a 25-year-old starting pitcher considered to have a promising future, is 1-3 with a 5.34 ERA in seven games with the Athletics this season.

Randar68
07-30-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

The Oakland Athletics, seeking to bolster their lineup, acquired power-hitting outfielder Jose Guillen from the Cincinnati Reds on Wednesday, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports.

In return, the Reds get pitchers Aaron Harang and Joe Valentine, plus an unnamed minor leaguer.

This has been a breakout season for Guillen, despite a logjam of outfielders in Cincinnati for much of the season. Guillen is batting .337 with 23 homers and 63 RBI in just 315 at-bats for the Reds.

Cincinnati continues to unload salaries, even though the Reds fired general manager Jim Bowden and manager Bob Boone on Monday. The Reds shipped closer Scott Williamson to the Red Sox on Tuesday.

The Reds, 47-59 entering play Wednesday, are likely to unload more contracts before Thursday's trade deadline. Aaron Boone, the ousted manager's son, likely will be one of the players sent to a contending club.

The Athletics, in close races for both the AL West title and the wild card, need offensive help. They are hitting just .253 as a team.

Harang, a 25-year-old starting pitcher considered to have a promising future, is 1-3 with a 5.34 ERA in seven games with the Athletics this season.

Cinci did pretty well on this one.

MHOUSE
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/story?id=1587533)

Wasn't Joe Valentine originally on the White Sox? He was a part of either the Durham deal or the Koch deal IIRC. I could be wrong though. I think Aaron Harang is a decent pitcher and getting 3 players is a good deal. So it will be Guillen, Singleton, and Long or Byrnes?

Randar68
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/story?id=1587533)

Wasn't Joe Valentine originally on the White Sox? He was a part of either the Durham deal or the Koch deal IIRC. I could be wrong though. I think Aaron Harang is a decent pitcher and getting 3 players is a good deal. So it will be Guillen, Singleton, and Long or Byrnes?

He was part of the Foulke/Koch deal.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-30-2003, 05:08 PM
i'd agree, the reds didn't do too bad this time, unlike the deal with Williamson

MHOUSE
07-30-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
i'd agree, the reds didn't do too bad this time, unlike the deal with Williamson

What was wrong with the Williamson deal? Except that it wasn't to the White Sox? LoL. Anyways...they got a couple players and cash for a FA. Dumped salary. What's wrong?

thepaulbowski
07-30-2003, 05:11 PM
at least Guillen didn't end up with the Royals

JJAustin69
07-30-2003, 05:12 PM
Royals were supposedly really close to him yesterday too.

hold2dibber
07-30-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap

ESPN.com news services

Man would it SUCK to be a Reds fan right now. I can empathize. They really do have a super lineup, but it was obvious coming into the season, and it is obvious now, that their pitching is atrocious. When you're a fan of a team like that, you hope against hope that the management goes out and improves the pitching enough so that your outstanding offense can win you some games. But instead, they decide to dismantle the whole thing. Yuck.

I would think that Junior Griffey will be dying to get out of Cincy and that the Reds are likely dying to get him out of Cincy. I'm guessing he gets traded in the off season, with the Reds assuming some of his contract or taking on someone else's "bad contract," or even with Griffey agreeing to re-negotiate or re-structure his agreement to make a trade possible. In either event, it's quite a mess.

With that said, I'd love to see the Sox pick up Aaron Boone or Scott Sullivan.

gogosoxgogo
07-30-2003, 05:40 PM
wow, Harang and Valentine, that's pretty damn good.

hold2dibber
07-30-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
wow, Harang and Valentine, that's pretty damn good.

Seems pretty good to me, too, particularly in light of the fact that Guillen may well be a flash in the pan. Of course, the A's aren't exactly hurting for starting pitching, but Harang seems like a guy who will likely develop into a competent no. 3 or 4 starter and Valentine, by many accounts, is a legit prospect. Nonetheless, I'm guessing that the fawning media will praise Billy Beane once again, because he is a genius and can do no wrong. By the way, does anyone know how Valentine has faired thus far this year?

MisterB
07-30-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
By the way, does anyone know how Valentine has faired thus far this year?

Not great...

40 games, 1-3 4sv, 4.82 era, 52.1ip, 44h, 37bb, 53k

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 12:21 AM
Also, Boone is now rumored to go to the Yanks. Gammons is preaching it like gospel on BBTN.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-31-2003, 12:25 AM
Did anyone hear Barry Zito on The Dan Patrick show on ESPN radio? He mentioned that the A's might trade for Richie Sexson. He also threw in Jose Guillen's name, and look at what happened.

JJAustin69
07-31-2003, 12:31 AM
In a non-trade note, Harold Reynolds just said on BBTN that the White Sox win over the Royals was the most important thing today. Continued to stick by his prediction that we will win the division. East Coast went with the Marlins win over the Dbacks.