PDA

View Full Version : Jose Gullien to the Royals Rumor

believenroyals
07-30-2003, 09:23 AM
Not official, but Gammons said it could happen by the deadline, granted gammons has been wrong a lot, but this would be huge for the royals. The central is heating up baby

SoxxoS
07-30-2003, 09:25 AM
So basically, it's not news yet.

RibbieRubarb
07-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Ok...now go away.

believenroyals
07-30-2003, 09:29 AM
hey, i wasn't flaming the white sox, i was just talking about a rumor that would affect the race

Hullett_Fan
07-30-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by believenroyals
hey, i wasn't flaming the white sox, i was just talking about a rumor that would affect the race

No probs...we've got Twins fans here as well.

But...GO SOX!!!

:smile:

Dadawg_77
07-30-2003, 09:39 AM

Actually I hope that happens. Jose is starting to slow down, and this is a career year so far. His home splits are slightly better but not enough to say he is a product of the GABP. Guy doesn't take walks so his .385 OBP is driven by avg which causes it to be instable. In order to land him Kansas City will have to overpay, which will cost them if they want to contend next year.

FJA
07-30-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Actually I hope that happens. Jose is starting to slow down, and this is a career year so far. His home splits are slightly better but not enough to say he is a product of the GABP. Guy doesn't take walks so his .385 OBP is driven by avg which causes it to be instable. In order to land him Kansas City will have to overpay, which will cost them if they want to contend next year.

Well, I wouldn't say he's really slowing down ... he's hitting .333 in July as opposed to the .350s in May and June, and in the last week, he's hit .355. His OBP was great in June (.456), but it has dropped in July.

This is a career year, but I think Jose Guillen is a legitimate threat for now. That being said, I don't think it really matters since offense is not where KC needs help. I don't hope it happens, but it won't concern me much if it does.

guillen4life13
07-30-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

Originally posted by FJA

Well, I wouldn't say he's really slowing down ... he's hitting .333 in July as opposed to the .350s in May and June, and in the last week, he's hit .355. His OBP was great in June (.456), but it has dropped in July.

This is a career year, but I think Jose Guillen is a legitimate threat for now. That being said, I don't think it really matters since offense is not where KC needs help. I don't hope it happens, but it won't concern me much if it does.

I don't know. I think there's legitimate evidence to say that this might not be a career year. For one, he's only 27 years old (which, by most people's standards, is the normal age for players entering their prime), and he carries a career .270 BA. That .315 OBP isn't anything to write home about, but he could stay this good for a couple of years, possibly.

And man, does he have a cannon! whew!

hold2dibber
07-30-2003, 10:37 AM
Not official, but Gammons said it could happen by the deadline, granted gammons has been wrong a lot, but this would be huge for the royals. The central is heating up baby

Gammons says a lot of things. Very few of them come to pass. I wouldn't get your hopes up too high - it could happen, but Gammons is wrong so often that I wouldn't count on it.

SoxxoS
07-30-2003, 10:39 AM
In Gammons World, Russ Ortiz is our #2 starter...

valposoxfan
07-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Hey believenroyals, it's good to have a royals fan on here for once so we can get your guys input. We've been looking for you guys but all we continue to get are naive Twins and Cubs fans. Sorry about the rough welcome... :smile: Go Sox!!!

DrCrawdad
07-30-2003, 12:07 PM
Isn't Jose Gullien the player who made the low-lights in last night's sports broadcasts? IIRC it was Gullien in RF bobbling a ball and then kicking it and then looking in the sky for the ball. Finally he finds it. His boneheaded play confused the runner, who then got caught in between first and second.

SoxFanDan
07-30-2003, 12:19 PM
ill give you royals reaction. They are so gung ho that the division is theirs. Here is the reply i saw after the game yesterday

Well we lost a game, but you know what Berroa looked great offensively.
One more thing i am so sick of that Vendor in the background screaming lemonade, woooooooooooooooooo
i have seen him and hes a tiny hispanic guy that i tried tripping at last years sox royals game

Dadawg_77
07-30-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
I don't know. I think there's legitimate evidence to say that this might not be a career year. For one, he's only 27 years old (which, by most people's standards, is the normal age for players entering their prime), and he carries a career .270 BA. That .315 OBP isn't anything to write home about, but he could stay this good for a couple of years, possibly.

And man, does he have a cannon! whew!

The thing with Jose is that he has shown no improvement in the areas which would reflect growth as a hitter. His walk rate and ps/ps are up but still below MLB average. His K rate this year is worse by a 1/2 bat and is about average for him at around a K per 5 ab. What has improved our his results, which makes one to believe he is getting a nice push from his home park, he getting one but his road splits are pretty good, and lady luck is on his side this year as the balls which would find a fielders glove are now finding grass. Improve results without any improvement in the underlying causes historically indicates that a player's high level of performance isn't sustainable.

Randar68
07-30-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Isn't Jose Gullien the player who made the low-lights in last night's sports broadcasts? IIRC it was Gullien in RF bobbling a ball and then kicking it and then looking in the sky for the ball. Finally he finds it. His boneheaded play confused the runner, who then got caught in between first and second.

Don't remember if it was Guillen, but it was intentional trying to fool the runner. It worked, but the throw from second back to first hit the runner.