PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Reed/Jon Adkins update

SoxxoS
07-30-2003, 09:19 AM
Ok, this is getting rediculous.

Reed-It deserves to be in all bold

4 AB. 3 hits. 2 HR's. 2 Runs. 6 RBI. He is hitting:

Jon Adkins-
7.0 IP, 5 hits, 1 run, 1 earned, NO walks, 10 K's.

SoxxoS
07-30-2003, 09:23 AM
Reed has 54 hits in 134 at-bats in AA Birmingham...just an FYI

Randar68
07-30-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Not to mention more walks than strikeouts.

hold2dibber
07-30-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Not to mention more walks than strikeouts.

Jumpin' Jehosephats! I'm trying not to get too excited about this guy, but he has been nothing short of spectacular this year.

hold2dibber
07-30-2003, 10:17 AM
Ok, this is getting rediculous.

Reed-It deserves to be in all bold

4 AB. 3 hits. 2 HR's. 2 Runs. 6 RBI. He is hitting:

Jon Adkins-
7.0 IP, 5 hits, 1 run, 1 earned, NO walks, 10 K's.

I sincerely doubt that Adkins will ever be an effective major league pitcher, but I would LOVE to see it happen, if for no other reason than to shove it up Billy Beane's arrogant pie hole.

Randar68
07-30-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I sincerely doubt that Adkins will ever be an effective major league pitcher, but I would LOVE to see it happen, if for no other reason than to shove it up Billy Beane's arrogant pie hole.

Adkins has pretty decent stuff, and that's what's so frustrating. He just isn't an intelligent pitcher out there.

Call it, "Aaron Myette syndrome"

DrCrawdad
07-30-2003, 12:09 PM
I heard a brief snippet of an interview on the SCORE a few days ago with a White Sox minor league person. I can't remember who the Sox guy was but he said that Adkins does exceptionally well one game and then sinks back. But the Sox believe the guy has a future.

MHOUSE
07-30-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I heard a brief snippet of an interview on the SCORE a few days ago with a White Sox minor league person. I can't remember who the Sox guy was but he said that Adkins does exceptionally well one game and then sinks back. But the Sox believe the guy has a future.

Sounds like "Judy Garland syndrome" to me. But he got it figured out so why not Adkins? Reed sounds like he's tearing it up. AAA next year and maybe the bigs? By by Carlos Lee.

MarkEdward
07-30-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Sounds like "Judy Garland syndrome" to me. But he got it figured out so why not Adkins?

Jon Garland was 21 when he was having problems in AAA. Adkins is 27 and is struggling in AAA (again). Big difference.

duke of dorwood
07-30-2003, 01:37 PM
I think its time to stop packaging multiple pitchers in trades for guys we wont keep, and see who can pitch here so we can dump Rick White

SoxxoS
07-30-2003, 01:42 PM
I had no idea Adkins was 26. I thought he was 23-24. That alters my view on him a little bit. Actually, a LOT bit.

SoxxoS
07-30-2003, 01:44 PM
Correction: Adkins is 25 turning 26 in August. It's coming to the "now or never" stage for him, unless he become Joe Borowski 2.

Tragg
07-30-2003, 04:49 PM

A 402 batting average? Not too bad.

What is the signficance of these two players (such that a string was sarted about them?)

hold2dibber
07-30-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
A 402 batting average? Not too bad.

What is the signficance of these two players (such that a string was sarted about them?)

I think just that they both had real good games this week.

Daver
07-30-2003, 05:37 PM
Ricardo Nanita is having a pretty good week too.

GREAT FALLS (PIO) OF RICARDO NANITA continued his outstanding tear through the Short-Season Pioneer League with a pair of home runs and a career-high six RBI in a 12-6 triumph at the Helena Brewers. Nanita, who has already posted a league-record 30-game hit streak earlier in July and completed a cycle on Monday, smacked a two-run homer in the third inning and capped a seven-run fourth with his second grand slam in as many days. The California native, who has 12 RBI in his last three games, now leads the circuit with 34. He also tops the league in both batting average (.388) and hits (62).

RKMeibalane
07-30-2003, 06:10 PM
Is there any chance at all that Reed will make the Sox roster next spring?

Daver
07-30-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Is there any chance at all that Reed will make the Sox roster next spring?

Slim,he will probably get an invite to ST though.

Not bad for a guy that many thought was a wasted draft pick as a second round pick in 2002.

RKMeibalane
07-30-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by daver

Not bad for a guy that many thought was a wasted draft pick as a second round pick in 2002.

Assuming that Reed pans out, that gives the Sox several options as far as trades and other moves are concerned. Someone mentioned that Reed has been playing the corner outfield spots most of the time. His emergence would eventually allow the Sox to move Carlos Lee to DH, or to trade Lee for another pitcher or shorstop.

I am, of course, thinking way ahead when I mention these trades. Barring any unforseen developments, Carlos will be with the Sox at least through next season. Even if Borchard is ready by then, he will probably be used in CF.

Tragg
07-30-2003, 06:46 PM

He's sure turned out better than our first round pick - although, we got out of that nicely in the end, too.

Daver
07-30-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
He's sure turned out better than our first round pick - although, we got out of that nicely in the end, too.

Royce Ring had an ERA under one when he was traded to the Mets,I just hated that they used a first round pick on a closer.

If he wasn't traded there was a very good chance that he would be in the Sox bullpen in 2004.

Tragg
07-30-2003, 06:53 PM
Royce Ring had an ERA under one when he was traded to the Mets,I just hated that they used a first round pick on a closer.

If he wasn't traded there was a very good chance that he would be in the Sox bullpen in 2004.

I didn't like that either, but I wasn't aware that his numbers were so good - I must have misread somewhere and I stand corrected.

Daver
07-30-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Assuming that Reed pans out, that gives the Sox several options as far as trades and other moves are concerned. Someone mentioned that Reed has been playing the corner outfield spots most of the time. His emergence would eventually allow the Sox to move Carlos Lee to DH, or to trade Lee for another pitcher or shorstop.

Reed is a converted infielder,and has passable skills as an outfielder,they are trying him in CF in Birmingham,but his future home is probably LF.You can give up defense for offense only so much before it bites you in the ass.

SoxxoS
07-30-2003, 08:24 PM

His ERA wasn't under 1 at that time...

<<<The Chicago White Sox have announced that they have acquired second baseman and perennial All-Star Roberto Alomar from the New York Mets for three minor league prospects. Those three players are current Barons closer Royce Ring, former-Baron closer Edwin Almonte and infielder Andrew Salvo.

Ring, the White Sox number one draft choice from a year ago, is currently ranked third in the Southern League with 19 saves and sports a 1-4 record with a 2.52 ERA and leads the Barons with 36 appearances. He was named the Southern League pitcher of the week for the week of May 9th through May 15th after he recorded four saves in four chances for the Barons. Coming into the season, the highly touted closer from San Diego State was ranked by Baseball America as the 10th best prospect in the White Sox organization.

Daver
07-30-2003, 08:34 PM
His ERA wasn't under 1 at that time...

<<<The Chicago White Sox have announced that they have acquired second baseman and perennial All-Star Roberto Alomar from the New York Mets for three minor league prospects. Those three players are current Barons closer Royce Ring, former-Baron closer Edwin Almonte and infielder Andrew Salvo.

Ring, the White Sox number one draft choice from a year ago, is currently ranked third in the Southern League with 19 saves and sports a 1-4 record with a 2.52 ERA and leads the Barons with 36 appearances. He was named the Southern League pitcher of the week for the week of May 9th through May 15th after he recorded four saves in four chances for the Barons. Coming into the season, the highly touted closer from San Diego State was ranked by Baseball America as the 10th best prospect in the White Sox organization.

You are correct,I posted his early May numbers,and forgot all about the rotten end of the month he had.

Thank you for pointing that out.

You'd think I would be able to keep track of two hundred minor league players in my head,I must be getting old. :redneck