PDA

View Full Version : Please, no more Danny Wrong!

A.T. Money
07-30-2003, 09:13 AM
Danny Wrong ready to take 5th starting spot (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030729insidesox,1,7727826.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Kenny, you have to be out of your mind. Make the trade and go for it!!! Put Wrong in the bullpen if you have to, but don't let him start....against SEATTLE!

kempsted
07-30-2003, 09:17 AM
I have said it before and I will say it again. We are 6-5 with Wright starting. He and Loaiza were the only starters we have had winning records when they start. He has had only a couple of really bad games and has 5 official QS in 11 starts. No he is not great but we only need 3 starts from a 5th starter in the next month. I don't see giving up a lot to pick up a 5th starter and I think we will have to give up a lot. There are 8 or 9 teams looking for a starting pitcher right now and Ponson and Suppan are on everyones list.

Gumshoe
07-30-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by kempsted
I have said it before and I will say it again. We are 6-5 with Wright starting. He and Loaiza were the only starters we have had winning records when they start. He has had only a couple of really bad games and has 5 official QS in 11 starts. No he is not great but we only need 3 starts from a 5th starter in the next month. I don't see giving up a lot to pick up a 5th starter and I think we will have to give up a lot. There are 8 or 9 teams looking for a starting pitcher right now and Ponson and Suppan are on everyones list.

Kemp is right on the ball. Furthermore, Wright has pitched well against Seattle in his career. We're NOT going to give up guys to get Ponson or Suppan --- to many are after them. Also, we won't need a 5th in the playoffs (if we get there) and as he says above, we only need 3 starts from our 5th in the next month. It's a no brainer, you have to go with Danny. He's pitched decently.

Gumshoe

Gumshoe
07-30-2003, 10:37 AM
my sox instincts are good, I checked Danny over the last 3 years versus Seattle:

2-0 with a 3.67 ERA

I was right

Gumshoe

ps- I'm not guaranteeing that holds .. hahaha

Randar68
07-30-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by kempsted

Wright has been on/off when he has gotten some consistent starts. Manuel skipping the 5th starter at every chance is not allowing whoever is in that spot to get into any kind of rythem or consistent schedule. It does hurt these guys.

Lip Man 1
07-30-2003, 11:34 AM
Fine...Danny "I Can't Pitch" Wright beats Seattle....then what happens in his OTHER starts?

Are YOU willing to blow a playoff spot because this buffoon can't pitch worth a damn? Get somebody who can keep you in a game and give you a chance to win. I still remember the game Danny boy started against the Angels last year what was it....oh yea 19-0!

Lip

joecrede
07-30-2003, 11:42 AM
Wright pitched 190 innings, had a respectable 5.05 ERA, and won 14 games a year ago. Not bad credentials for a #5.

toledosoxfan
07-30-2003, 11:52 AM
Fine...Danny "I Can't Pitch" Wright beats Seattle....then what happens in his OTHER starts?

Are YOU willing to blow a playoff spot because this buffoon can't pitch worth a damn? Get somebody who can keep you in a game and give you a chance to win. I still remember the game Danny boy started against the Angels last year what was it....oh yea 19-0!

Lip

Hey Lip. Do you suggest we trade Crede for Ponson? I don't agree with overpaying for a pitcher when it would only be for 2 months. The market is so right now that you must overpay to get somebody. I say we give Dan a chance. 14 wins for a 5th starter isn't so bad.

A.T. Money
07-30-2003, 11:59 AM
We've given Wrong enough "chances". This isn't just ANY season, this is supposed to be *THE* season in which we are going to the playoffs, and maybe beyond. If you were to trade Crede for Ponson, and somehow trade for Aaron Boone for 3B, would anyone be depressed over it? I highly doubt it.

gogosoxgogo
07-30-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Wright pitched 190 innings, had a respectable 5.05 ERA, and won 14 games a year ago. Not bad credentials for a #5.

A 5.05 ERA is not respectable when you're in a pennant race!

MHOUSE
07-30-2003, 12:13 PM
Danny has lost his bad starts and gotten no decisions in his good ones. He could be .500 right now with a little offensive help. He no-hit the BoSox for 5 or 6 innings after a 3-run first remember. He knows how to pitch sometimes.

I agree, however, that I would rather have an experienced 5th guy to give us a chance to win every time out and be more consistent. I support Danny Wright, but not in a pennant race. Suppan can't cost too much, he's a FA and he's only making 500K. Trade for him and sign him up for next year and our rotation looks good.

Loaiza
Buehrle
Suppan
Garland
Schoenweis

+/- Colon?

Gumshoe
07-30-2003, 12:16 PM
is going to jack around and only sparingly use a 5 man rotation ...

WHY don't we just use a 4 man rotation???????

voodoochile
07-30-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
is going to jack around and only sparingly use a 5 man rotation ...

WHY don't we just use a 4 man rotation???????

Isn't that what they are talking about in the other thread? However, they have three 5th man starts coming up.

Is Wright the best option? Barring a trade - yes.

Linky (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=22608&s=&perpage=15&pagenumber=1&display=show)

pudge
07-30-2003, 12:50 PM
Dang, this blows. For the record, Wright looked awful in Seattle last time they were here, so don't give me crap about how Wright pitches well against Seattle. Then again, nobody's looked good here. We're 3-9 in Seattle since 2001. Although Carlos Lee always seems to homer in Safeco.

TornLabrum
07-30-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by joecrede

When did 5.05 become respectable?

voodoochile
07-30-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
When did 5.05 become respectable?

I think he means, "Non-Horrible"...

Lip Man 1
07-30-2003, 03:09 PM
I'd trade crede for Ponson ONLY if the Sox were sure they had Boone in the fold (if not Boone, Joe Randa but K.C. will not trade him to the Sox even though he's a free agent next season.)

Lip

brewcrew/chisox
07-30-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Dang, this blows. For the record, Wright looked awful in Seattle last time they were here, so don't give me crap about how Wright pitches well against Seattle. Then again, nobody's looked good here. We're 3-9 in Seattle since 2001. Although Carlos Lee always seems to homer in Safeco.

This is a new team

lowesox
07-30-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I'd trade crede for Ponson ONLY if the Sox were sure they had Boone in the fold (if not Boone, Joe Randa but K.C. will not trade him to the Sox even though he's a free agent next season.)

Lip

Crede for Ponson would be the worst trade in the history of Kenny Williams. Even he's not that stupid.

I say let Wright pitch. 14 wins is good for a fifth starter. Plus, we have a pretty good bullpen to compensate for a weak start here and there.

Let's not be fans who need to have 25 superstars on the roster. Wouldn't you miss our promising young phenom? Crede, even with his .230 average, is one of my favourites player on this team.

pudge
07-30-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by brewcrew/chisox
This is a new team

Uh huh, but Dan Wright is not a new pitcher.

Shoeless Joe
07-30-2003, 04:42 PM
Believe me I'm not that excited about bringing Danny Wright into a pennant race, but maybe this could turn out good for the Sox.

Last year Dan had a 5-8 record with a 5.72 ERA, the second half he had a 9-4 record with a 4.61 ERA.

Now I know those second half numbers aren't exactly lights out but if we can get that type of production from him while having a good offense rolling, it wouldn't be that bad. That's a lot of IF's however so my hope is that KW can find someone out there to shell out a starting pitcher for nothing.