PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one still not really impressed?

StepsInSC
07-30-2003, 01:56 AM
While this board is buzzing with optimism, I too have been caught up in the fever...but...

Who have they beaten in this stretch thats been any good? I, for the life of me, cannot get myself to say Kansas City as an answer to that question, I mean c`mon its Kansas City, and I refuse (maybe being ignorantly stubborn) to label them as a `good` team yet.

So I guess my question is, has my lifetime love of the White Sox left me overly pessimistic and always assuming that utter failure is only one game away?

Or is this a legitimate reason to be somewhat happy, the fact that we beat such quality teams as Tampa Bay, Detroit, Cleveland, and Kansas City (yea still 2 game in the series left I know...)?

Don`t get me wrong, not complaining or anything, these are teams we`re supposed to beat.

saabturbo
07-30-2003, 04:45 AM
What teams haven't we beaten? Before the all-star break we SHOULD of taken 3/4 from Boston SHOULD have taken 5/6 from the CUBS, and SHOULD of taken 6/6 from the Twins. The teams that actually were beating us were the worst teams in baseball! Now if we can start winning on the west coast......

WhiteSox = Life
07-30-2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by saabturbo
What teams haven't we beaten? Before the all-star break we SHOULD of taken 3/4 from Boston SHOULD have taken 5/6 from the CUBS, and SHOULD of taken 6/6 from the Twins. The teams that actually were beating us were the worst teams in baseball! Now if we can start winning on the west coast......

As Daver would say:

"Hey, welcome aboard!

:redneck"ô

© Daver

Or, whatever legal mumbo jumbo you wanna put in. As long as I don't get sued or shot.

:smile:

CLR01
07-30-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
While this board is buzzing with optimism, I too have been caught up in the fever...but...

Who have they beaten in this stretch thats been any good? I, for the life of me, cannot get myself to say Kansas City as an answer to that question, I mean c`mon its Kansas City, and I refuse (maybe being ignorantly stubborn) to label them as a `good` team yet.

So I guess my question is, has my lifetime love of the White Sox left me overly pessimistic and always assuming that utter failure is only one game away?

Or is this a legitimate reason to be somewhat happy, the fact that we beat such quality teams as Tampa Bay, Detroit, Cleveland, and Kansas City (yea still 2 game in the series left I know...)?

Don`t get me wrong, not complaining or anything, these are teams we`re supposed to beat.

We should be excited. Its not the fact that they are beating the bottom feeders of the league, it how they are doing it. They're not winning 1-0 or 2-1 they are actually putting runs on the board like they should be. They have not scored less than 4 runs since the second game on July 12th. Well see how they do this week though. So far itís looking good.

Jurr
07-30-2003, 07:15 AM
What in the hell are you talking about? Did we just not see KC go out and spank the Mariners and the A's, two of the best teams in the AL, prior to this series? Yes, we did. I don't care what teams you play, they're still all major league teams. When you can put up numbers like we have against major league teams consistently, you've got something. Nobody all year has been able to touch our starting rotation. All we needed was some hitting to back that up, and it's coming around full circle. Robbie Alomar brings a guy that can hit for average, set the table, and get down a bunt. Plus, have you seen the infield lately??? Unstoppable! All we have needed was some bullpen help to neutralize the detrimental effects of White and Koch, and SHZAAAM!!! Here comes a kick ass lefty.
Another reason the Sox were so bad early was the absence of Paul Konerko, who is now on fire.
What more do you need to see???? Honestly??? It's time to get excited. I don't care if they lost 2 of 3 to Seattle later this week. Seattle's a great team, and it could happen. The point is that the diagnosable problems for the Sox this year were.
1. They couldn't hit. Konerko added to that problem, as did Thomas, Valentin, Crede, and Lee. That's looking solved.
2. Doing the little things...adding Robbie Alomar has made those little problems disappear. That, and the focus brought in by winning and competing night in and night out.
3. Bullpen. White and Koch suck. We know that. But, now you have Schoney, Marte, Gordon, Wunsch, White, and Koch. When mid to late August rolls around, Wright will be in the pen as well. Can you imagine having a four man rotation of Buehrle, Garland, Colon, and Loaiza???? Come on!
Things are looking up on the South Side. Quit pissing in our Cheerios.

delben91
07-30-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Jurr
Quit pissing in our Cheerios.

Hahaha...oh man, that line is hilarious!

:gulp:

MarqSox
07-30-2003, 07:41 AM
This team has burned me too many times this season ...

That said, I'm cautiously optimistic about where we're going. I definitely feel it's the right direction, and I definitely think we're in good shape. Right now I've got one foot on the bandwagon ... a win tonight or tomorrow and I'm back on all the way.

Screw next year, screw the minor leaguers, to hell with prospects. I want to win this year, and if it means we toil with bottom feeders next year, so be it.

WhiteSox = Life
07-30-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by delben91
Hahaha...oh man, that line is hilarious!

:gulp:

As long as we're on hilarity (always a great pick-me-up early in the morning)...

Peter: Brian, there's a message in my Alpha Bits. It says, "Ooo".

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.

Kilroy
07-30-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
I, for the life of me, cannot get myself to say Kansas City as an answer to that question, I mean c`mon its Kansas City, and I refuse (maybe being ignorantly stubborn) to label them as a `good` team yet.

You are stubborn. KC is a good team w/ a good skipper. Come on, you can say it.

The good thing is, the last time we saw them, we took 2 of 3 from them, and last night, we put up some nice numbers, and would have given them a pretty fair whuppin if not for Rick White.

The Sox should be feeling pretty good going into tonight.

1951Campbell
07-30-2003, 08:03 AM
In 2000, we had a team that won 95 games and got swept in the first round. What makes people think a team that takes baseball's worst division with, say, 86 or 87 wins is going to go deep in the playoffs? :?:

Tragg
07-30-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
In 2000, we had a team that won 95 games and got swept in the first round. What makes people think a team that takes baseball's worst division with, say, 86 or 87 wins is going to go deep in the playoffs? :?:

These playoff games turn on very, very small things. IN 1983, we lose game 4 and the series in extras - win that game, we have the untouchable Lamar Hoyt coming for game 5, and we likely win the WS.
The Twins win the WS in 1987 after winning 86 games.
Wild card teams have won a couple of WS.
We didn't get break 1 against seattle 3 years ago- we were in every game.

Sure beats the alternative

Mighty4
07-30-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
These playoff games turn on very, very small things. IN 1983, we lose game 4 and the series in extras - win that game, we have the untouchable Lamar Hoyt coming for game 5, and we likely win the WS.
The Twins win the WS in 1987 after winning 86 games.
Wild card teams have won a couple of WS.
We didn't get break 1 against seattle 3 years ago- we were in every game.

Sure beats the alternative

Playoff games do turn on small things, so even if we make it there, who is the manager? Maybe the worst ever manipulator of "small things" (no dirty pun intended) ever! That's why some people still lack confidence in the team.

gosox41
07-30-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell

1. Playoffs are a lot about luck. Anything could happen in a short series.

2. In order to get to the playoffs this year the Sox are going to have to turn up the intensity and go in the playoffs on a hot streak. In 2000, the Sox cruised in and there was a let down in intensity as Manuel rested everyone.

3. This year's starting pitching as it is right now is better then the starting pitching going into Octover of 2000. Eldred, Baldwin, and Sirotka were all hurting them. Hopefully if we make the playoffs this time, we'll be healthier.

4. This team is more of a veteran team then the 2000 team.

All that being said, I am still cautiously optimistic on the Sox getting to the playoffs. On paper, there's no doubt the Sox are more talented then the Royals and Twins. Unfortunately the Sox way underachieved the first half and need to dig themselves out of a big hole while KC and Minnesota have easy schedules the rest of the way.

Bob

Dan H
07-30-2003, 11:12 AM
I always thought this team had the most talent in the division. What drove me crazy, and what I still am concerned about, is their ability to lose close games with dumb mistakes and lack of consistency. Playoff games are usually not routs; you have to execute to beat a talented team. The Sox cutting down on physical and mental errors would make me feel better. Home runs are great, but you need more than that.

valposoxfan
07-30-2003, 11:35 AM
I'm with MarqSox on this one. I'm still extremely cautious because this team has burned us before, but they are showing signs of a first place team. But I'm not ready to be hopeful yet because I've gotten my hopes up and this team has just laid down and died. That being said, Ordonez hitting .611 in his last nine games in unreal, and the job the Gordon and Marte are doing in the bullpen is extraordinary. Not to mention KW getting a solid lefty in the bullpen in Shoeneweis. I'll guess we'll just have to see how it goes from here...

FarmerAndy
07-30-2003, 11:48 AM
I have to go with the old cliche, I'm taking 'em one game at a time.

The last couple of weeks have been exciting. But I'm still cautious because everytime I get really optimistic they end up burning me. Plus, it bothers me when I look at the league standings and realize that in any other division we'd only be good enough to be in 3rd or 4th place.

I am really happy that the organization has showed some commitment to winning this year though. I appreciate the effort.

All I'm worried about is tonight's game, and tomorrow I'll worry about tomorrow.

MarqSox
07-30-2003, 10:04 PM
OK, now I'm impressed. Bandwagoners, make room for one more!

:) :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :)

FarWestChicago
07-30-2003, 10:19 PM
I'm sorry, but you guys are amateur parade rainers. Lip, get in here and show them how it's done!!! :D:

Lip Man 1
07-30-2003, 10:50 PM
Only a fool would complain with the way that they have been playing and I'm not a fool and not a bandwagon jumper. When they deserve to get blistered I'm right there but I also give credit when they deserve it.

Lip

FarWestChicago
07-30-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Only a fool would complain with the way that they have been playing and I'm not a fool and not a bandwagon jumper. When they deserve to get blistered I'm right there but I also give credit when they deserve it.

Lip Well, you could have at least given them some style pointers. :smile:

TRL
07-30-2003, 11:11 PM
I like to go the one game at a time approach. You have to enjoy the way they are playing now, but there are still two months to go. Go out and support them and pack the house on Monday.

doublem23
07-30-2003, 11:38 PM
The only team I'm not impressed with any more is the Royals. Man, I thought they were at least halfway good. They suck more than I thought.

GO SOX!

doublem23
07-30-2003, 11:39 PM

Lip

Lip... Positive... About the White Sox...

Isn't the universe supposed to collapse on itself right about now?

Dan H
07-31-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Lip... Positive... About the White Sox...

Isn't the universe supposed to collapse on itself right about now?

At least now the Sox are giving us something to be positive about. I am even a bigger cynic than Lip, but I'm impressed. It will be interesting to see what they do in Seattle.

inta
07-31-2003, 06:17 AM

Lip

I completely agree with this guy.

pudge
07-31-2003, 12:23 PM
I will say that JM is the best manager in the history of baseball at winning 15-4 games. I want to see him win a few 3-2 games.

alohafri
07-31-2003, 01:38 PM
Jurr, I swear you sound sound like a scrub fan. All googly when they win a few games. We long-suffering Sox fans have been conditioned not to get too pumped up when things start going well. There's still lots of baseball to be played.

I am cautiously optimistic , and if we take the series from Seattle and Oakland, I will start making October plans.

(Mrs. Aloha)

White_Sock
07-31-2003, 02:38 PM
Our commitment as life long White Sox fans justifies a little excitement guys. Come on - I watched the longest winning streak the Sox have been on since i've been alive this season. If I want to indulge a little then for God's sake don't start making comparisons to the blasphemous evil horde of flub fans who really don't respect anything. Yes, I still have reservations, and yes I oreally won't be able to peak n White Sox euphoria until a world series victory, but lets rally around our team at least when they deserve it . That's all I'm sayin. You don't have to pull out the flub card whenever someone veers from the pesemistic side of things.

Gumshoe
07-31-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
I always thought this team had the most talent in the division. What drove me crazy, and what I still am concerned about, is their ability to lose close games with dumb mistakes and lack of consistency. Playoff games are usually not routs; you have to execute to beat a talented team. The Sox cutting down on physical and mental errors would make me feel better. Home runs are great, but you need more than that.

While I'm ready to jump on teh bandwagon with good play at ANA and SEA conditional , I have to say that this is very true posting. With Manuel there will be a LOT of trying moments in the post season ... IF we get there .... handling the PEN is EVERYTHING ... and still our weak spot

Gumshoe

1951Campbell
07-31-2003, 10:49 PM
Beware the 88-win juggrernautthat is the Sox! KC sucks!