PDA

View Full Version : Crede Trade Possibility

LASOXFAN
07-30-2003, 12:55 AM
Apparently the Orioles want Crede for Ponson. KW won't bite. Anyone think it's worth it?

VeeckAsInWreck
07-30-2003, 12:58 AM
No,

Crede is the best defensive third baseman we've had since some fellow named Robin Ventura.
Besides, Crede will find his swing again and hit like he did at the end of last season.

What do we have to give up to get Jeff Suppan?

pudge
07-30-2003, 01:00 AM
I'm glad to see KW at least thinking a little about the future. I know all Sox fans say, "We want to win now," but you can't give up someone who could be your anchor at 3B for the next 4-6 years. KW has to think about putting butts in the seats in '04 and beyond.

jabrch
07-30-2003, 09:09 AM
Crede for a guy who is a FA after this season? Even Kenny isn't gonna bit on that...

Hullett_Fan
07-30-2003, 09:11 AM
Yes it's worth it...if we pick up Aaron Boone.

Fisk72
07-30-2003, 09:15 AM
Ok, the choice (and remember, death is not an option): Crede for Ponson? or Victor E. Banana for Ponson?

:supernana:
"I'm NEVER in a slump!"

fledgedrallycap
07-30-2003, 09:15 AM
No. I wouldn't do it nor will KW.

gosox41
07-30-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
Apparently the Orioles want Crede for Ponson. KW won't bite. Anyone think it's worth it?

I don't. I think Crede is going to be OK offensively, not great but average. The Sox have no one in the minors close to ready to play 3B and Ponson is a FA.

Bob

Clarkdog
07-30-2003, 09:43 AM
Nope.

Crede my not be hitting the way his promise has shown. But he will. He has succeeded at every level of this game, and he will succeed in the bigs, He may be a .280 20+ 85-90 guy. But that is what he should be. Plus he plays and awful good third base.

If you want a reason not to deal Crede, you only need to look to the North. They have been trying to fill that position since Bill Madlock.

Gumshoe
07-30-2003, 10:01 AM
The O's should have run to the BANK with Konerko when we offered him with Ponson. That was a stupid trade for us, great for them. Ponson is hardly proven. He's solid this year, yes, but so what. He's an FA and they think they are going to get one of the best young prospects in baseball for him? PLEASE. Konerko was at an all time low in value, another reason why KW should NEVER have offered him.

Wow, that almost bit us in the a$$ because as Konerko hits, so goes the Sox (huge HR and 3-3 last night!)

Gumshoe

hold2dibber
07-30-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
The O's should have run to the BANK with Konerko when we offered him with Ponson. That was a stupid trade for us, great for them. Ponson is hardly proven. He's solid this year, yes, but so what. He's an FA and they think they are going to get one of the best young prospects in baseball for him? PLEASE. Konerko was at an all time low in value, another reason why KW should NEVER have offered him.

Wow, that almost bit us in the a$$ because as Konerko hits, so goes the Sox (huge HR and 3-3 last night!)

Gumshoe

What makes you think the Sox offered PK for Ponson?

And I'm not sure that I still wouldn't make that deal. Without PK's big $ contract, the Sox might be able to re-sign Colon, and I think they could find a suitable replacement for PK for much less $. (Look at what the Red Sox are getting out of Ortiz and Milar for about $1 mm each per year).

Lip Man 1
07-30-2003, 10:40 AM
Ken Rosenthal and Peter Gammons both reported the Sox offered PK for Ponson straight up last month and the Orioles thought about it for a few days before saying No.

Lip

Fisk72
07-30-2003, 10:56 AM
Now that Konerko seems to finally turn around, would you still want to trade him for Ponson? People are saying he's only a 1/2 season player, but right now, being in the thick of it, I'm glad it's THIS half that he's turning things around. Then again, I know we need the pitching just as bad. Do you really think Daubach could fill in Konerko's shoes just as well? He did look pretty good before the All Star Break, if I remember correctly.

gosox41
07-30-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Gumshoe

Gumshoe

I would love to trade Ponson for Konerko stragiht up. Getting a fifth starter this season and dumping Konerko's overweighted contract all in the same trade sound goot me. Dumping Konerko could allow the Sox to free up money and sign guys elsewhere. Konerko is a 1/2 player and I hardly doubt he's the sole reason for the Sox first half slump.

Bob

Mammoo
07-30-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Yes it's worth it...if we pick up Aaron Boone.

That would be a White Sox winner! :D:

Gumshoe
07-30-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I would love to trade Ponson for Konerko stragiht up. Getting a fifth starter this season and dumping Konerko's overweighted contract all in the same trade sound goot me. Dumping Konerko could allow the Sox to free up money and sign guys elsewhere. Konerko is a 1/2 player and I hardly doubt he's the sole reason for the Sox first half slump.

Bob

Being that PK contract is hefty, it is because he's an All Star. If he hits, we win. It's that simple. You'd trade an All Star for a free agent with a career 4.59 ERA and 55-58 record? White Ponson may have just "learned to pitch" --- I'm not saying he's not good, just think about the Sox resigning him. Those chances are slim to none because of aforementioned bad moves and arbitration obligations. Just based on this season, if we get Ponson, that will by no means win us more games than sticking with a hot Paulie. All Star for 5th starter? I'm not saying he is a typical "5th" --- he isn't --- but we don't need another starter THAT bad. If you lose Konerko, you'll lose big time run production, in my opinion. Similarly, I think that Manuel mishandled Konerko early on. As a result (and many other factors), he hit poorly. We needed Paul last night; that was a HUGE 2 out 2 run bomb.