PDA

View Full Version : Gammons Reporting Sox interested in Boone/Williamson

NewyorkSoxFan
07-29-2003, 05:25 PM
Take it for what its worth but he just said on SC that the Sox/Yankees are interested in A. Boone/S. Williamson. I think they may be thinking Crede is not the answer in a playoff tight situation. I would have to agree with him if that was his thought. Also Williamson would be a nice setup for Marte/Gordon and takes Koch out of the equation alltogether. Any thoughts?

NYSF

I love being in a pennant race for a change!!!

joecrede
07-29-2003, 05:25 PM
Gammons was just on Sportscenter and mentioned that the Reds were talking to the Yankees, Red Sox, and Sox about Scott Williamson. He also said the Reds were talking to the Yankees and Sox about Aaron Boone, but Cincinnatti ownership doesn't want to deal him.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-29-2003, 05:30 PM
i'd like either of them, it's all or nothing this year!

JJAustin69
07-29-2003, 05:32 PM
Nice post. We would probably deal them someone besides just prospects if this happens. I have to take Gammons with a grain of salt though.

FJA
07-29-2003, 05:32 PM
Did anyone just see Gammons on SportsCenter? He said we are in the running to receive some goods from the Reds firesale ... Scott Williamson, Aaron Boone and/or possibly Jose Guillen.

It's Boston, so take it with a grain of salt, but, if we don't have to give up much, any of these could be a great move ... even though I'd rather have a fifth starter, picking up Williamson in particular would be great. Boone could make up for Crede's lack of offensive production at 3B, and although I'm not sure where we'd use Guillen, as far as I'm concerned, we can find a place to put someone hitting .340.

FJA
07-29-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Gammons was just on Sportscenter and mentioned that the Reds were talking to the Yankees, Red Sox, and Sox about Scott Williamson. He also said the Reds were talking to the Yankees and Sox about Aaron Boone, but Cincinnatti ownership doesn't want to deal him.

To add, Cincinnatti doesn't want to deal him, but it appears Boone will request a trade ... I'm sure it has a lot to do with his dad being fired. Can you imagine how awkward that would be?

longshot7
07-29-2003, 05:57 PM
oh man, that would be awesome. I like Boone and he's getting better. Williamson alone would be good.

FJA
07-29-2003, 06:00 PM
Levine is now reporting Schoeneweis is a strong possibility as well.

JJAustin69
07-29-2003, 06:02 PM
Monitoring Reds message boards and the consensus seems to be that they will make a trade with the Red Sox. Just FYI. Maybe we can get in there and make something happen. Their front office seems to be a mess.

CHISOXFAN13
07-29-2003, 06:05 PM
Sounds like K Dub is really working the phones. Tonight would be huge to really put the pressure on KC. And then if we add, say bye to the Royals.

MHOUSE
07-29-2003, 06:05 PM
We could send down Crede, Rowand, and Harris giving us room to add 3 major league players for the playoff push. Gimme Boone, Williamson/Shoenwise, and someone else. Brewers Van Der Wal? I like Crede, but in a playoff run we can't have any holes in the lineup if at all possible. I think a big Reds fire sale is on the cards. I feel bad for Boone having to answer all the questions about his dad.....

hold2dibber
07-29-2003, 06:17 PM
Scott Williamson has been the guy I've been hoping for big time the last few days. I'd be thrilled to add him to the bullpen. He would be a huge upgrade over White/Glover/Koch as the primary RH set up guy (I'd keep the Gordon/Marte 2-headed closer arrangement). As much as I like Crede's long term potential, Aaron Boone is a good hitter right now. As far as I know, neither Boone nor Williamson is a free agent at year's end. Boone is making $3.7 mm this year, Williamson is making $1.6 mm. As in all trades these days, the quality of the prospects will in large part be determined by who pays the salaries of the guys being traded. I would love to see the Sox bite the bullet and pay these guys themselves so (possibly) they wouldn't have to deal Crede or Cotts or anyone like that to land them. But either way, those two would constitute significant upgrades and make the Sox better this year and, possibly, next.

Daver
07-29-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
We could send down Crede, Rowand, and Harris giving us room to add 3 major league players for the playoff push

Rowand and Crede would both have to clear waivers to be sent down,I guarantee both of them would get claimed.

Hullett_Fan
07-29-2003, 06:25 PM
I have a feeling Crede would be part of our offer to Cincy for Boone/Williamson. I'm fine with that.

Win Now!

:)

RKMeibalane
07-29-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by daver
Rowand and Crede would both have to clear waivers to be sent down,I guarantee both of them would get claimed.

Agreed. At this point, there aren't any position players that the Sox can just set aside until next season rolls around. Boone would be a nice addition, but I don't think the Sox have anywhere to put him. KW should focus on finding a way to solidify the bullpen or the starting rotation. The only way I could see the Sox getting Boone would be if they sent Crede to the Reds in return.

gogosoxgogo
07-29-2003, 07:03 PM
I'm much more interested in Williamson. However, if something does happen, I don't think we should forget about our fifth starter. Just because we add another (great) bullpen arm, that won't address our fifth starter spot, so I hope Kenny still does something about that. Boone would be great except:

a. I'm reluctant to deal Crede. I still think this kid has a boat load of talent, even if he isn't showing it. However, if we really are in this 'win it all now' mode, let's do it.
b. Boone can play 3B, SS and 2B, imagine the fun that Manuel could have with that.

If there was a way to keep Crede out of a trade for Boone, I do it a heartbeat. Boone could take over at short next year and we keep Crede at third.

Mammoo
07-29-2003, 08:48 PM
Went to the game Saturday night. Everybody is swinging the bats with authority except Crede. He seems lost, although he hit one tonight, so who knows??? :?:

pudge
07-29-2003, 09:03 PM
What is Boone's contract status? I think Crede is going to figure it out, maybe not this year though...

Daver
07-29-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by pudge
What is Boone's contract status? I think Crede is going to figure it out, maybe not this year though...

He's a FA after the season.

FJA
07-29-2003, 09:10 PM
Well, Williamson's been traded to the BoSox ... Gammons reports we're still in it for Boone, though, and he thinks KW is going to get Suppan.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2003, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by daver
He's a FA after the season.

Great! He'll fit right in! :smile:

:crede
"Hey wait a minute! I thought I was the heir apparent to Robin Ventura at third base?"

:KW
"That was a long, long time ago..."

:ohno
"...in a galaxy far, far away."

gogosoxgogo
07-29-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by FJA
Well, Williamson's been traded to the BoSox ... Gammons reports we're still in it for Boone, though, and he thinks KW is going to get Suppan.

Damn, he would have really bolstered our pen. I didn't figure there was much of a chance for us to get him, though. Still, we need to get that fifth starter, and a quality right hander out of the pen would really help matters.

MarqSox
07-29-2003, 09:24 PM
I was watching the Cubs game with the mute on while listening to the Sox game, and I saw Steve Stone say (via closed captioning) that "with the Sox making another couple trades tongiht ..."

Does he know something we don't?

dickallen15
07-29-2003, 09:35 PM
I doubt it. He still hasn't figured out Chimp Caray is the most annoying person in the world. The scene in Dumb and Dumber when Lloyd Christmas asks,"you want to hear the most annoying sound in the world ?" He should have done a Chimp impression describing a Sosa at bat.

gogosoxgogo
07-29-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
I doubt it. He still hasn't figured out Chimp Caray is the most annoying person in the world. The scene in Dumb and Dumber when Lloyd Christmas asks,"you want to hear the most annoying sound in the world ?" He should have done a Chimp impression describing a Sosa at bat.

or he could have just done a little Steve Stone. I swear, the man knows what he's talking about when it comes to doing color commentary, but his nasaly voice is too much for me to handle. It sounds like his voice box is up his nostrils.