PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about KC

A.T. Money
07-29-2003, 02:01 PM
There hasn't been anything about this upcoming series. What is your gut telling you about this series? I'm kinda nervous as a fan, because I know we have to win at least 2, and I know that we don't always play so well in Kansas City (given our history the past couple years).

How do you others feel?

pl8ump1012
07-29-2003, 02:07 PM
i pretty much agree. I'm nervous like you said with our recent history there, plus with our record against them this year (0-3 in KC, 2-4 overall).

I also know how important this series is, and that makes me nervous as well.

At the same time though, I really like the momentum that they have, and that gives me some confidence.

thecell
07-29-2003, 02:13 PM
I'm very confident in our Sox. We have Buerhle, Garland and Loaiza on the bump for each game. All three have been solid over their last 10 or so starts. Beurhle got roughed up a bit in Toronto, but he should bounce back with a good performance in an important game. Sox will take 2 out of 3 and pick up a game.

Rocky Soprano
07-29-2003, 02:14 PM
The fact of the matter is that this team is not the same team that started this season.

The biggest change is that our team has confidence. The bats have come alive and the pitching is doing a great job. With that in mind, I am hoping to see the boys at least pull out two games.

LETS GO SOX! :gulp:

JJAustin69
07-29-2003, 02:16 PM
We need two out of three to send a message. I am looking for revenge for '77. Hated the Royals then, still hate them.

cheeses_h_rice
07-29-2003, 02:20 PM
I think the Sox will take 2 of 3, which is the bare minimum they need to do.

A.T. Money
07-29-2003, 02:21 PM
I just hope the Sox look at the Royals and Kauffman Stadium like they are the Cubs and it's Wrigley Field. We need to go in there with that competitiveness. As important as that series was, is as important as this series is, and more.

Hopefully, we're going to go in there with that intensity.

chuckn98229
07-29-2003, 02:25 PM
MLB website (http://mlb.mlb.com/) has lead article - Chicago Finds Its Missing Sox - that previews upcoming KC series. We will certainly find out if this is truly a different team this week - with KC and Seattle. I am going to this Sunday's game at Safeco - and boy would it be great to see them win their 7th in a row. Didn't they sweep the Indians and the Yankees on the road back in 2000? After that, we knew they were for real. Time to do it again, men.

Shoeless Joe
If our offense can put some crooked numbers on the board then a series win is not out of the question. But in all reality I don't think the Royal are taking this series seriously. Although it may be true than the division won't be won or lost with the series whomever gets the edge will no doubt benefit with tremendous momentum.

PaleHoseGeorge
It's the four games back in the standings that has me nervous. It has been over 20 years since ANY Sox team came from behind this late in the season to win anything of consequence. Ours is a team that historically CHOKES on these occasions.

Note that previous key series were all played while the Sox had a LEAD in the standings.

June, 2000. The sweeps of Cleveland and New York were done while in first place, not second.

1994. The Sox fought Cleveland for first-place the entire season until the strike came.

1993. The Sox took first place in the spring and never looked back in the old AL West.

July, 1983. Winning Ugly Sox came from behind to grab first place after the all-star break. No choke that season--until the playoffs.

1967. Inside track to winning pennant entering the last week of play. Last-place Athletics end the Improbable Nightmare season.

1964. Sox play balls out in September but still finish one game behind Yankees.

Let's just say this Sox team has no connection with any of those other teams. Expect Victory!!!

:bandance:

voodoochile
07-29-2003, 02:30 PM
Tonight's game is the big one. Win it and the Sox could sweep. Lose and they will struggle to win 2 games, IMO.

It's put up of shut up time.

I am nervous, but confident. I think the team is finally going to rise to the expectations...

Procol Harum
07-29-2003, 02:40 PM
I, like most all o' y'all, am nervous about the Royals series, particularly as it's in KC. However, I've got a feeling that Sox starting pitching and hitting are starting to click at the right time even as KC is gearing down a bit of late. Let's hope that this is indeed a happy conjunction of trends and that we can win at least 2 of 3.

Fisk72
07-29-2003, 02:51 PM
I'm hoping we'll be able to put up a couple runs right away. It's been obvious how well we've pitched knowing that we already have that 2 ot 3 run cushion. Having first atbats, it's key to set the tone early! I have faith that our guys can do it, though!

dllrbll7
07-29-2003, 02:56 PM
I may need some elders input on this but i believe back in 77 the sox were ahead of KC by about 4 games or so. And then KC came into comiskey and swept the sox and then the sox went to KC and got swept thus getting knocked out of first place and losing the division. It seems like kinda the same situation here except opposite. Hopefully we can turn the tables on them from 77

VeeckAsInWreck
07-29-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Tonight's game is the big one. Win it and the Sox could sweep. Lose and they will struggle to win 2 games, IMO.

I agree with you 100%. Tonight's game is going to be the key to the rest of the series/roadtrip. Win tonight and you slowly but surely crumble KC's confidence.

After all that, I say. Sox take 2 out of 3.

JJAustin69
07-29-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
I may need some elders input on this but i believe back in 77 the sox were ahead of KC by about 4 games or so. And then KC came into comiskey and swept the sox and then the sox went to KC and got swept thus getting knocked out of first place and losing the division. It seems like kinda the same situation here except opposite. Hopefully we can turn the tables on them from 77 Actually, the Sox won 3 of 4 at Comiskey but then went on the road and lost 3 of 4 at Texas and were swept at KC. I hate the Royals to this day. I kid you not. We must make them pay.

daveb816
07-29-2003, 03:22 PM
'I may need some elders input on this but i believe back in 77 the sox were ahead of KC by about 4 games or so. And then KC came into comiskey and swept the sox and then the sox went to KC and got swept thus getting knocked out of first place and losing the division. It seems like kinda the same situation here except opposite. Hopefully we can turn the tables on them from 77'.

Actually, Sox were ahead by 4 or so coming into late-July 4-gamer at Comiskey. Sox won first three, but lost last one. They then lost 3 of 4 to Rangers at home - including a disastrous blown game in game 2 of series - before going to KC and losing 3 straight.

This was the beginning of the end.

Tragg
07-29-2003, 03:44 PM
1967. Inside track to winning pennant entering the last week of play. Last-place Athletics end the Improbable Nightmare season.

:bandance: [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually it was the senators, who were equally bad. That was my first season as a Sox fan. We beat the good teams that year, but lost the seasonal series to the 2 worst teams - KC As and Washington Senators.
The real key to that year was a horrible call by an ump in a late game at Fenway - Agee was called out at 3rd when he was safe easily. That sent us on a tailspin. (that game was the nbc game of the week).

gosox41
07-29-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
There hasn't been anything about this upcoming series. What is your gut telling you about this series? I'm kinda nervous as a fan, because I know we have to win at least 2, and I know that we don't always play so well in Kansas City (given our history the past couple years).

How do you others feel?

Let's analyze. The Sox are in a pennant race playing the first place team in the division. It's a big series and everyone knows it. The fans are getting excited as more and more are jumping on the bandwagon. But at the risk of sounding negative, ths is usually when the White Sox pull their choke job.

I hate to sound too negative, but if recent history has told us anything (specifically the JM era) it's that this team tends to wilt under the pressure.

I hope this time is different.

Bob

mack10zie
07-29-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Let's analyze. The Sox are in a pennant race playing the first place team in the division. It's a big series and everyone knows it. The fans are getting excited as more and more are jumping on the bandwagon. But at the risk of sounding negative, ths is usually when the White Sox pull their choke job.

I hate to sound too negative, but if recent history has told us anything (specifically the JM era) it's that this team tends to wilt under the pressure.

I hope this time is different.

Bob

I tend to be super optimistic most of the time, so I still think the Sox are gonna take this division and hopefully make some noise in the playoffs, but just based on recent history I keep having the above thoughts in the back of my mind. I'm able to convince myself this year is different, but every once in a while the negative thoughts creep in. Don't know what it means really, but it kind of worries me when I'm thinking negatively since I rarely ever do. If we can go in and sweep this series then I think most of the negativity will be wiped clean.

Also, it doesn't seem like older history favors us either, which although I don't remember since I'm only 20, I don't really like.

Unregistered
07-29-2003, 04:32 PM
Buerhle scares me for some reason. It seems like he's been getting kicked around in "big game" situations lately... but maybe I'm crazy.

believenroyals
07-29-2003, 04:41 PM
as a royals fan, i believe this series can go either way, what i am interested is will the white sox collapse in the next month facing teams like the mariners,a's,yankees. If they can survive that, then I think the white sox will be in the race

Procol Harum
07-29-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by daveb816

Actually, Sox were ahead by 4 or so coming into late-July 4-gamer at Comiskey. Sox won first three, but lost last one. They then lost 3 of 4 to Rangers at home - including a disastrous blown game in game 2 of series - before going to KC and losing 3 straight.

This was the beginning of the end.

What made it all worse was that we were actually winning the last game of that series--game 2 of a dh against the Royals in that series--but they came back and beat us (I seem to remember a Hal McRae homer playng a big role). It would have made the difference between being 6 games ahead at the end of that series instead of 4 games. And not only did we lose 3 of 4 to Texas at Comiskey and then got swept at KC, but I think we were then either swept or lost 3 of 4 down in Arlington against the Rangers.

voodoochile
07-29-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by believenroyals
as a royals fan, i believe this series can go either way, what i am interested is will the white sox collapse in the next month facing teams like the mariners,a's,yankees. If they can survive that, then I think the white sox will be in the race

Welcome aboard! :D:

Personally, I think that this series will go along way toward determining the fate of both teams. This series is going to set the tone for the next few weeks both ways...

Mammoo
07-29-2003, 05:17 PM
I think Buerhle is going to crap down his pantleg tonight! :(:

Paulwny
07-29-2003, 05:20 PM
A sweep by either team could send the other team reeling.

Lip Man 1
07-29-2003, 05:21 PM
That 1967 loss that was mentioned early in the thread was at home versus the Twins. Agee was called out and the Sox dropped out of first place. It was in late August.

After the game, Eddie Stanky made VP Hubert Humphrey wait in the hallway for about a half hour before consenting to see him. When reporters asked Stanky about it he replied ,"What do I need to see him (Humprhrey) for? Can he hit?" LOL

As far as this series, bottom line is that the Sox win or else. They don't have the time anymore to make up ground later. not with their schedule. They need two of three (which is why that loss to Tampa last Saturday was so important. They could have gone into this series three out!) Personally the way the Sox play on the road and in big series', I'll be happy just to not get swept. At least that continues to give them a chance. Getting swept puts them seven back and with the Sox schedule, it's over.

I wish them luck and hope for the best.

Lip

Fisk72
07-29-2003, 05:30 PM
With Buerhle being a Red Birds fan and all, I'd think he'd have some animosity against the Royals (their in-state rivals) and want to look good. I don't have any worries. Our guys did well vs. the Flubs and that was a huge, stressful series. This will be just as big and I am optimistic we'll pull through. It looks like I might be in the minority, though! Perhaps this will helpl!.... :gulp:

Paulwny
07-29-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
With Buerhle being a Red Birds fan and all, I'd think he'd have some animosity against the Royals (their in-state rivals) and want to look good. I don't have any worries. Our guys did well vs. the Flubs and that was a huge, stressful series. This will be just as big and I am optimistic we'll pull through. It looks like I might be in the minority, though! Perhaps this will helpl!.... :gulp:

I'm kind of optimistic but, will have the TUMS and Mylanta handy.