PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Blows it again

fledgedrallycap
07-29-2003, 08:39 AM
I pulled this off ESPN Insider imbedded in an article that was suppose to be previewing the KC series but instead ridiculed the Alomar & Everett trade:

"In truth, neither newcomer Carl Everett or Roberto Alomar has played up to his potential since coming to the White Sox via trades. That is, unless what we are seeing Alomar these days is his potential. He is doing about as well with the Sox as he did with the Mets, which is to say, far below the standards he set for himself as recently as two years ago. "

Now Everett hasn't been great, but he has come through with some nice key hits and I like his lefty swing. However, this guy obviously didn't look at the fact Alomar is batting .304 and sured up the right side of the diamond. Playing as well for the Sox as he did for the Mets????? What a tool.

Hullett_Fan
07-29-2003, 09:06 AM
Wow, that's great 'insider' information...definitely worth paying for. Thanks ESPN!

ESPN should just stick to covering the Yankees, Mets and Red Sox. I'm glad I don't watch or visit their website.

MarkEdward
07-29-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap

Now Everett hasn't been great, but he has come through with some nice key hits and I like his lefty swing. However, this guy obviously didn't look at the fact Alomar is batting .304 and sured up the right side of the diamond. Playing as well for the Sox as he did for the Mets????? What a tool.

The writer was probably looking at Alomar's OPS since coming to the Sox. His OBP is .395 and his slugging percetage has fallen to .333. That .304 batting average is a bit empty.

SoxOnTop
07-29-2003, 09:22 AM
You know, I saw the Sox when they were down here in Tampa, and I couldn't believe how skinny Alomar was. How did that guy ever hit for power? He must have lost some major muscle mass becuase I remember him being bigger when he was with Baltimore.

But who cares. He's paid for defense and getting on base and that .395 OBP will make me happy til the cows come home. Or the Sox win the Pennant!!!!

fledgedrallycap
07-29-2003, 09:34 AM
You know what, I am so tired of all these percentages that are thrown around - OPS? Where did that come from? In my eyes that still means operations...

I suppose I am a throw-back who just doesn't believe in all the math. Alomar has been batting lead-off and been doing it well. He can sacrifice and doesn't have mental breakdowns on the basepath. When you make a trade, you are looking to improve which is exactly what the Sox accomplished by shipping Jiminez's lazy butt out of town.

FJA
07-29-2003, 09:43 AM
There has been a lot of bad White Sox reporting on ESPN.com since the trades. Come to think of it, the only people who have given us a fair shake at ESPN are Harold Reynolds (who, since the trades, has never backed down from saying we are going to go on a tear), Rob Dibble (who I get the impression really, really enjoyed his time with the White Sox, almost to the point of fandom), and--get this--Boston Gammons. Several times Boston has had to give a ruler slap on the hand to Karl Ravech, who treats us like an absolute joke.

As far as Alomar, he's not a guy we brought in for slugging percentage, and he's very aware of that. Don't get me wrong, it's always nice to see doubles, triples and home runs, but if Robbie walks and gets on base with singles for guys like Frank and Maggs to pick up, I'm happy. Plus, we simply can't ignore the immense defensive improvement.

The problem is, a lot of these people at ESPN don't watch the Sox, and while the numbers don't lie, if you watch the Sox, you know who is doing their job and who is not. If Frank's slugging percentage is .333, even if he is batting .300, there's a reason to be concerned. With the role Alomar was brought in to fill, I don't see a problem at all.

voodoochile
07-29-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
You know what, I am so tired of all these percentages that are thrown around - OPS? Where did that come from? In my eyes that still means operations...

I suppose I am a throw-back who just doesn't believe in all the math. Alomar has been batting lead-off and been doing it well. He can sacrifice and doesn't have mental breakdowns on the basepath. When you make a trade, you are looking to improve which is exactly what the Sox accomplished by shipping Jiminez's lazy butt out of town.

Well, OPS is merely addiung a players OBP and SLG numbers together. Shows power and the ability to get on base. Nice stat to show a hitters overall effectiveness.

I don't see how anyone can complain about Robbie. He has an OBP near .400 hitting in the 1 or 2 slot in the lineup. That isn't peanuts...

Tragg
07-29-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
You know, I saw the Sox when they were down here in Tampa, and I couldn't believe how skinny Alomar was. How did that guy ever hit for power? He must have lost some major muscle mass becuase I remember him being bigger when he was with Baltimore.

But who cares. He's paid for defense and getting on base and that .395 OBP will make me happy til the cows come home. Or the Sox win the Pennant!!!!

An OBP of .395 is a big help to this ballclub. I'll trade it for less power.

hold2dibber
07-29-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
The writer was probably looking at Alomar's OPS since coming to the Sox. His OBP is .395 and his slugging percetage has fallen to .333. That .304 batting average is a bit empty.

His OBP is really, really good. And although his SLG has fallen off a little from his performance with the Mets, OBP is significantly more important than SLG anyway. In other words, I'd say he's playing better than when he was with the Mets because although his SLG is down, that is more than made up for by his OBP increase. I think he has been an upgrade over Jimenez (who was good for the first month, but not very good thereafter).

southsidegirl
07-29-2003, 10:42 AM
Just wait until we're the division champs, that'll show 'em......

gosox41
07-29-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by southsidegirl
Just wait until we're the division champs, that'll show 'em......

Unless the Sox are playing the Red Sox or Yankmees i the playoffs, they'll probably still ignore us.

Bob

longshot7
07-29-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
His OBP is really, really good. And although his SLG has fallen off a little from his performance with the Mets, OBP is significantly more important than SLG anyway. In other words, I'd say he's playing better than when he was with the Mets because although his SLG is down, that is more than made up for by his OBP increase. I think he has been an upgrade over Jimenez (who was good for the first month, but not very good thereafter).

The other important thing to note is that with us Robbie doesn't feel the need to be "the man" like with the Mets. He can be just the leadoff hitter and 2B. Maybe that's why he's playing so well here - with all of our power hitters, he only has to play his role, not everyone's.

mack10zie
07-29-2003, 12:26 PM
Apparantly a good number of us Sox fans wrote Jim Baker last night becuase in his insider article today he says:

Speaking of players changing, yesterday I wrote: "&neither newcomer Carl Everett or Roberto Alomar have played up to their potential since coming to the White Sox via trades. That is, unless what we are seeing Alomar these days is his potential. He is doing about as well with the Sox as he did with the Mets, which is to say, far below the standards he set for himself as recently as two years ago."

Many White Sox fans wrote in to disagree with me regarding what I said about Alomar. Here is a representative letter:

Roberto Alomar
Second Base
Chicago White Sox

2003 SEASON STATISTICS
GM HR RBI R SB AVG
91 2 26 45 9 .271

Jim: How can you say that Robby Alomar has been disappointing with the White Sox? He has been a tremendous upgrade defensively at second base and in the leadoff spot. It is hard to say that a guy is underachieving when he is batting .304 with a .395 OBP, and he strikes out less than once every 11 plate appearances, something that is very big for the Sox out of the leadoff spot. There are a lot of other things that are not in the stat column. His range at second has knocked down would be singles and helped him turn numerous double plays. His prowess defensively has made Jose Valentin a better defensive player. But the biggest thing he has brought to the Sox, along with Carl Everett, is his hustle. He has beaten out several double play balls and his hustle alone produced at least one win for the Sox.

Dominic J. Nicolini

I made two statements, one of which is definitely true and the other of which is more debatable. When I wrote that he is "far below the standards he set for himself as recently as two years ago," I was right. The 2001 Roberto Alomar is still nowhere in sight. That version of Alomar had an Isolated Power (slugging average minus batting average) figure of over 200 points. The White Sox version of Alomar has hit two doubles in 69 at bats. The other statement I made is: "He is doing about as well with the Sox as he did with the Mets&" I based this on the fact that his OPS with the Mets was .693 and with the White Sox is .728 -- not a significant improvement. What is debatable about my statement is that a larger portion of his OPS with the White Sox is attributable to On Base Percentage, the more important component of OPS. He has done a better job of getting on base in his brief time with Chicago than he did in New York.

I will fall back to another thing I said: "&unless what we are seeing Alomar these days is his potential." If this is the case -- and more and more it is looking as though it is -- then Alomar is not underachieving and I will concede that he has been somewhat better with the White Sox than he was with the Mets. If that is good enough for White Sox fans, then so be it.

Also, there is a good number of articles on the major internet sites talkling about this series, so if we can come out and make a statement here the media coverage may very well begin to shift in the Sox favor. That would be nice.