Here is a new question:

what will the white sox roster look like when the rosters are allowed to expand

koch44
07-28-2003, 09:40 PM
It's going to look like a roster ready to go to the world series. :smile:

SoxxoS
07-28-2003, 09:41 PM
That is a good question...

It is going to depend on if we are in/winning the pennant race. It seems like (Esp. with General Disarray) we already have a surplus of players. I would look for Felix Diaz to definitely get the call up, but other than that, it just depends.

spanishwhite
07-29-2003, 12:00 AM
Does anybody remember what KW said last year during the
Adkins mishap?

He said that we acquired a pitcher that would be able to contribute by 2003.

I think he would excel in the relief role. Think Koch with the velocity. Not alot of strikeouts, but generally gets the job done. He did have a 25+ consecutive scoreless inning streak this season. (not sure what the total ended up being.)

I think we'll see him, Borchard, Wright, and either Rauch, Stewart, or Porzio. I dont know how many are allowed to come up.

Maybe Diaz. The Sox have been very cautious and slow with him and rightfully so, being that he has a small frame and has injury prone past.

MarkEdward
07-29-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by spanishwhite

I think he would excel in the relief role. Think Koch with the velocity. Not alot of strikeouts, but generally gets the job done.

The lack of a high strikeout rate is a *big* problem for Adkins, in my opinion. Pitchers with low K rates in the minors rarely succeed in the bigs. If Adkins had something like an ERA under two with a low K rate in AAA, then I can understand giving him a call up. But he has a 4.35 ERA with a 3.7 K/9IP for Charlotte. To me, it looks like he'd get shelled in the majors.

MisterB
07-29-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
I dont know how many are allowed to come up.

Technically, it's 15 since they can call up the rest of the 40-man roster (or not).

LuvSox
07-29-2003, 07:24 AM
:jerry
"I can do much more tinkering with 15 extra players. I'm gonna hafta buy more ice cream."

maurice
07-29-2003, 12:00 PM
I imagine they'll only bring up players whose service time already has begun to run (i.e., guys who have been up before). I don't think you'll see Diaz or Cotts unless KW doesn't make a trade and one of them becomes our #5 starter. Hummel has an outside chance at a call up, but I'd be surprised if they called Reed up.

rmusacch
07-29-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by SoxFanDan
Here is a new question:

what will the white sox roster look like when the rosters are allowed to expand

They did not call up very many last year. The roster was right at 30 or even below it after the callups IIRC.