PDA

View Full Version : Baker Slams Media / Cub Fans

Lip Man 1
07-28-2003, 12:51 PM
I'm shocked this hasn't appeared on the web site yet!

In the internet edition of today's Sun Times, Dusty Baker says part of the reason for the Cubs losing record at home is because of the "negativity among the media and certain fans..." He lists other reasons and goes into details about his media, fan comments.

LOL

Now THAT'S funny especially considering we're heard that before at lenght here on the South Side from the Sox organization!

I suggest taking a look at the story.

Lip

duke of dorwood
07-28-2003, 01:19 PM
Only his race allows him the slack he continues to get for the moronic things he says.

MisterB
07-28-2003, 01:27 PM
It took until the 2000 playoffs before Dusty was paranoid about media criticism in SF, but it only took half a season for it to get to him in Chicago. Guess the honeymoon's over. :smile:

cheeses_h_rice
07-28-2003, 01:39 PM
Here's the link: http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-kiley28.html

Seems that Dusty's a bit surprised that Cub fans are expressing negativity at their .500 play so far...welcome to reality, Dusty.

chuckn98229
07-28-2003, 02:20 PM
Geez, more cubbie excuses from Dusty. He certainly is a quick study in the blame game. Can you imagine all the conspiracy theory conversations and whining sessions that he and Barry Bonds must have had back in SF?

RKMeibalane
07-28-2003, 04:58 PM
Dusty Baker: Biggest Crybaby in Baseball.

Hangar18
07-28-2003, 04:58 PM
Mike Kiley performed yet another act of Journalistic Presumptuousness today, reacting to a feisty and sharp remark by the Messiah Mark Prior on the many questions hes gotten regarding his health and missing a few starts. "Thats all Im talking about this til I get into a game!" said the Arrogant One.
Kiley, prefaced this by then saying that "Priors competitiveness is being shown now off the field". Kiley, thats not "competitiveness, thats called a Jerk". When Thomas makes crass remarks like that, the Media Calls him a Whiner. When Prior makes the same comment....hes Competitive. What
a bunch of BS. dont worry Kiley, were on to you....

Hangar18
07-28-2003, 05:06 PM
Kiley, ever the Cub Apologist, also noted in todays column on his own, that the Cubs are saddled with a poor schedule, having to
Endure countless day games after nite games. Again...what a bunch of bs. Does it sound like the Flim Flam man himself DBaker is just angling for more NITE GAMES on the Tribs behalf? Kiley himself, a SUNTIMES "Writer", is helping the Trib out. Id almost believe him, if not for the Fact that the VISITING TEAM ALSO HAS TO WAKE UP EARLY TO PLAY IN THE SUN TOO. sorry Dusty...
im not falling for this "Cub-poganda". All this tells me is the Cubs are about to mount another Campaign shortly to get more nite games and this was simply a front to "soften the targets".
Has anyone reminded mr. Kiley that hes a beat writer, and NOT A COLUMNIST ?? KILEY....stop believing the excuses...because tomorrow every cub fans going to say....."yeah.....its unfair we have all these nite games"

JJAustin69
07-28-2003, 05:20 PM
Is Dusty still wondering "Why not us?." Why don't you ask Lee Ellia. Ha ha.

WinningUgly!
07-28-2003, 06:45 PM
"Part of [the disappointing home record] is scheduling,'' Baker said. "You come home late from a trip someplace and we got to play the next day. [St. Louis and Houston] come home and get some rest. I believe that. We play a lot more day games. But you got to find a way. It ain't going to change. We got to find a way to combat it. You try to do it with different lineups and you rest guys."

Hey Dusty, doesn't every single visiting team that you face at Wrigley also have to deal with this same thing? When St. Louis or Houston come to town, they also get in late & have to get up the next day for a day game! Boo frickin' hoo! What's your next excuse?

gosox41
07-28-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I'm shocked this hasn't appeared on the web site yet!

In the internet edition of today's Sun Times, Dusty Baker says part of the reason for the Cubs losing record at home is because of the "negativity among the media and certain fans..." He lists other reasons and goes into details about his media, fan comments.

LOL

Now THAT'S funny especially considering we're heard that before at lenght here on the South Side from the Sox organization!

I suggest taking a look at the story.

Lip

I'm surprised that Cub fans noticed.

Bob

Thunderstruck30
07-29-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by gosox41

I'm surprised that Cub fans noticed.

Bob

Yeah they probably all think the Cubs are still in first.

bobj4400
07-29-2003, 09:09 AM
Kiley was at it again today...saying Dusty 'willed' the Giants to the playoffs last year. Uh no...I think it is called having Barry Bonds on your team.

SoxOnTop
07-29-2003, 09:18 AM
Hey, according to more than a few, the Giants won in spite Dusty last year.

Hangar18
07-29-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
Kiley was at it again today...saying Dusty 'willed' the Giants to the playoffs last year. Uh no...I think it is called having Barry Bonds on your team.

Theres a Difference between being a BEAT WRITER and being employed by the Chicago Cubs media dept. Does anyone know what that is? Kiley has crossed the line many many times, putting his own thoughts, wishes, hopes, dreams into his stories about this team. Unfortuneately, we know cub fans to be sheep and believe everything they read. Now, all cub fans will say that Dusty can WILL A TEAM TO WIN. what a bunch of bs.
We need a Reporter to REPORT ON THE STORY, not try to twist statements, fudge actions by certain arrogant players. This guy would do great to work for State Run Newspapers. Can you see Mike Kiley, foreign sports correspondent for Al Jazeera ?

Hangar18
07-29-2003, 10:08 AM
A perfect example of this. I have a cousin, who describes himself as one of the biggest cub fans around. I definitely lump him in the "dumbest fans" in baseball category. We had a discussion last nite, me telling him how ridiculous Dustys excuses for why the cubs arent winning more at home regarding day games, and what does he say? Verbatim, "yeah, the cubs are super tired after a long road trip, and the stupid cardinals get to rest. anyone will tell you that playing in the day after traveling is going to make you tired. When I explained to him that hey, so does that the Other team. They have to get up early too......(long silence from him) then he says your just jealous because the cubs are chicagos town, and the media knows it. I explained that the cubs are Chicagos team BECAUSE of the media coverage. I said he only knows of this because he read the suntimes today, and cub fans are mostly incapable of fermenting their own decisions.

MarqSox
07-29-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
A perfect example of this. I have a cousin, who describes himself as one of the biggest cub fans around. I definitely lump him in the "dumbest fans" in baseball category. We had a discussion last nite, me telling him how ridiculous Dustys excuses for why the cubs arent winning more at home regarding day games, and what does he say? Verbatim, "yeah, the cubs are super tired after a long road trip, and the stupid cardinals get to rest. anyone will tell you that playing in the day after traveling is going to make you tired. When I explained to him that hey, so does that the Other team. They have to get up early too..

You're right, the other team has the same disadvantage ... but I do think you're underappreciating the fact that the Cubs play about 70 day games a season, while every other team plays, what, 15? Day games wear you out, especially if you're playing under the hot summer sun, day after day. When some other team comes into Wrigley and plays a day-after-night, they're tired, yes. But they don't have to do that every single week. I could definitely see how, over the span of a season, that would get to you.

bobj4400
07-29-2003, 10:31 AM
:whiner:

As a fellow Marquette alum, I am disappointed in you. You have bought into the Cub-poganda that the media has been feeding you.

In my mind the Cubs have the advantage b/c they for the most part, get to lead normal lives when they are in Chicago. Like most Americans they get up in the morning, go to work, and can be home for dinner. I think that is an advantage...there is more family time for those that want it, and more party time for those that want that.

And they are playing BASEBALL...it is not the most physically exhausting of sports. Playing in the sun should be used as an advantage by them as they are used to it.

mack10zie
07-29-2003, 11:23 AM
Honestly, I think it is more of a disability for the visiting team. While it may be exhausting for the Cubs, at some point they are going to get used to it and it will start to have a bigger effect on the visitors, who are not used to it. And I don't really buy into it having too much effect anyways. I know when I would be in tournaments in high school were we would sometimes be playing 5 or even 6 day games in 3 days in very very hot weather and the second game of the day would be pretty tough, but it rarely seemed to carry over to the next day, as long as you drink enough fluids to replenish yourself and get a solid nights sleep you come back the next day basically as fresh as you were the day before.

Hangar18
07-29-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
You're right, the other team has the same disadvantage ... but I do think you're underappreciating the fact that the Cubs play about 70 day games a season, while every other team plays, what, 15? Day games wear you out, especially if you're playing under the hot summer sun, day after day. When some other team comes into Wrigley and plays a day-after-night, they're tired, yes. But they don't have to do that every single week. I could definitely see how, over the span of a season, that would get to you.

Say Marq....I would almost be inclined to believe this bs too...
but wont for these reasons.

1. They know the schedule 6 months in advance...plenty of time
to prepare for the "sun".
2. The other team has to play in the "sun" too.
3. The cubs are again angling for more NIGHT GAMES and the LUCRATIVE amounts of MONEY GENERATED BY EXTRA BEER SALES, and by WGN getting PRIME TIME MONEY for Commercials.

Theyre not Fooling me....I dont care who's pocket Kiley and Moses
are in......

soxin03
07-29-2003, 12:32 PM
The answer is as obvious as the big nose on Crustys face. The Flubs need more black players. Just too many of thems terrible, untalented, and unable to handle the heat white guys on the Cubs.

mack10zie
07-29-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by soxin03
The answer is as obvious as the big nose on Crustys face. The Flubs need more black players. Just too many of thems terrible, untalented, and unable to handle the heat white guys on the Cubs.

Aaahahaha. Nice. :)

Meixner007
07-29-2003, 12:46 PM
The cubs are consistently bad for the simple reason that they field poor teams every year. A majority of the lineup is either past their prime, or has yet to reach their potential. Yet the idiots up north recognize a name and are satisfied. Then June comes around and the old players get tired, and the young players still haven't reached their potential, and it's all over.

Shoeless Joe
07-29-2003, 12:54 PM
Hey Dusty don't blame everybody for the Cubs woes! The reason the Cubs are becoming horrible is because of the annual JUNE SWOON. As a matter of fact you can almost set your watch to it...

QueerGirrl
07-29-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by soxin03

LOL Very funny! :)