PDA

View Full Version : September

MarqSox
07-28-2003, 11:28 AM
Has anybody looked at our end-of-season schedule lately? I mean, good lord ...

2 vs Boston
3 vs Cleveland
4 vs Minnesota
3 at Boston
3 at Minnesota
3 vs Kansas City
3 vs Yankees
4 at Kansas City
:(:

mandmandm
07-28-2003, 11:31 AM
If they can't beat the big boys they ain't going anywhere in the playoffs. I don't think I can take another three and out.

Fisk72
07-28-2003, 11:34 AM
Yeah, that's a pretty tough stretch. However, I think we'll either be contenders or pretenders depending on how we get out of August. There's the matchup with KC again (at home, thank goodness), but we gotta improve on our record vs. the AL West. Plus, three out in NY. As much as I'm looking forward to the upcoming series vs. KC, I think we need to see how well we match up with better AL teams than the creampuffs (the Jays are on their way down in the rankings IMO) we played the past couple weeks. BTW, anybody take a look at the remaining schedule for the twinkies and royals? I believe they have a better homestretch than we do....

RKMeibalane
07-28-2003, 11:48 AM
Look at the bright side. If the Sox do make the playoffs, no one can say that they didn't deserve to be there.

doublem23
07-28-2003, 12:22 PM
It's just a chance to get used to the competition we'll have to square off with in October. :)

Go White Sox!

Also, most of those are home games. Hopefully by that last 4-game set in KC we'll have already locked the division up.

delben91
07-28-2003, 12:25 PM
With the pitching this team has, that schedule doesn't scare me as much as it would've the past couple of years. Now that the lineup is producing, we can still be mostly shut down by a good pitcher, and still pull off the win. I say bring it on, and hope the games are still meaningful come september.

GO SOX!!

FJA
07-28-2003, 12:37 PM
KC and Minnesota have much easier schedules. I'm not terribly worried about Minnesota, because they seem to have caught the disease formerly known as White Sox syndrome, being unable to beat teams that are in every way much worse than you are. I really think that team is headed for serious tailspin mode. (If they don't win their series against Baltimore this week--and Baltimore has been playing mostly good baseball lately--I think they are, for all intensive purposes, finished.)

KC's only opponent who they don't have a decided advantage over is the Yankees, who they play twice. Both times they play the Yankees, we're matched up against the Angels, which worries me because not only do we have to step it up against a team that has the best division record in all of baseball in KC (even if the central is the worst division), but, given we could potentially gain on KC while they're playing the Yankees, we have to step it up against the AL West, who we just can't seem to beat.

We can't really count on KC to fold because it hasn't happened yet. That's something you count on in May, not August. Our playoff hopes lie almost exclusively in our games against KC, because, given our schedule and theirs, we can't necessarily count on gaining ground anywhere else.

As far as important series, as of 7/28/03 I'd rank them:

1) Any KC
2) Both Anaheim series
3) Seattle--Because if we come out of KC this week on top AND manage to take 2 or 3 from Seattle, I think we have a serious home field advantage next week against KC
4) Oakland--A big playoff-type home series that could set the tone for the ensuing road trip against Anaheim and Texas
5) Detroit/Cleveland/Texas--No more excuses with teams we absolutely HAVE to beat
6) Yankees/Red Sox--National attention whether we win or lose; if we win, we're finally on "experts'" radar screens
7) Minnesota--I don't think these series will end up meaning much in the standings, but as far as "rivals" series go, they could be good for momentum

The Minnesota ranking goes against all previous logic, and it's pending KC doesn't fold, which I don't expect them to. Basically, if KC and the White Sox remain 1 and 2 in the division--not necessarily respectively--it's going to be really hard for Minnesota to get to first place, since either KC or the White Sox are guaranteed to win 13 times no matter what Minnesota does; in other words, for 13 games in the remainder of the season, Minnesota cannot possibly gain on both KC and the White Sox. We also don't play Minnesota until mid-September, and by then I think we'll have a better idea where both teams are headed. For right now, though, I think they're the least of our worries, considering battling out for second and third place in the AL Central doesn't mean a whole lot, and by then, that could very well be what we're doing.

I think more than anything, our upcoming schedule shows we absolutely need a fifth starter. We can't afford to be trotting out the Porzio/Wrong platoon every other series, all but guaranteeing either a loss or no decision for the starter, and seriously increasing the possibility of a loss for the team.

Gumshoe
07-28-2003, 12:39 PM
Once you get into the playoffs, anything can happen. They won't go three and out. If Jose Valentin's ball is fair with the bases loaded, or he's called safe at second on the force out (cost a run), etc. the Sox might win that series. In a 5 game series, people should be scared of the Sox if they make it, because we WON'T be picked to win, but we're dangerous as hell with that pitching and lineup. Just need to play at night, not in the day, gosh darn yankee bullcrap

Gum

FoulTerritory
07-28-2003, 12:40 PM
What scares me a lot more than the sox having a difficult schedule down the stretch, is that KC has a steady diet of Clevelands and Detroits on their schedule. We had our chance to gain cheap ground, but started with losing 5 of 6 to tampa and detroit. Despite our winning stretch, we are still one game further back right now than we were when we finished off the stretch vs. the Twinkies and Cubs in June.

Now (insert ominous background music) KC has a chance to go on a tear as the toughest part of their schedule is clearly behind them.

I mean, even if we play 15 over %500 the rest of the way, which would be pretty damn good considering the schedule we're playing, it would seem that KC can easily maintain that pace against the schlongs of the league without breaking much of a sweat, as they already have an oustanding record against crap teams.

Nervous,

Brad

doublem23
07-28-2003, 12:44 PM
But they Royals won't maintain that pace because they suck and will collapse.

Duh.

:gulp: :D:

FoulTerritory
07-28-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
But they Royals won't maintain that pace because they suck and will collapse.

Duh.

:gulp: :D:

But that is my point. Even if they DO suck, they probably don't suck as bad as tampa, cleveland, or detroit . . . . a group they will play regularly from here on.

So, they might suck and still win the division, because even a team that sucks can beat teams that uber-suck.

FJA
07-28-2003, 12:52 PM
What really kills me about it too is that the Royals probably won't do anything if they get to the playoffs. They have an awful bullpen, and they allow as many runs as they score. I think we'd be a very dangerous team in the playoffs.

FoulTerritory
07-28-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by FJA
What really kills me about it too is that the Royals probably won't do anything if they get to the playoffs. They have an awful bullpen, and they allow as many runs as they score. I think we'd be a very dangerous team in the playoffs.

Yeah, I was just thinking about that. The sox are probably the only team in the division with a chance to do damage in the playoffs. Twinks have more holes in their starting pitching than swiss cheese this year, and the Royals don' t even have a lefty releif pitcher! Recipes for post-season disaster.

It just makes the prospect of not winning this division all the more nausiating