PDA

View Full Version : Reds Fire Boone, Bowden

Viva Magglio
07-28-2003, 11:18 AM
The Cincinnati Reds have had a purge this morning as they have fired manager Bob Boone and GM Jim Bowden.

From CBS SportsLine: "Reds fire manager Boone, GM Bowden" (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/6504133)

gosox41
07-28-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
The Cincinnati Reds have had a purge this morning as they have fired manager Bob Boone and GM Jim Bowden.

From CBS SportsLine: "Reds fire manager Boone, GM Bowden" (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/6504133)

I'd take Bowden over KW.

Bob

gogosoxgogo
07-28-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I'd take Bowden over KW.

Bob

Yeah, maybe then we can trade Maggs for Griffey.

MarkEdward
07-28-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I'd take Bowden over KW.

Bob

Really? I don't know about that. Bowden really didn't impress me much (maybe because he was on such a tight budget). The guy didn't do anything horrible, but he didn't do anything special. He did give out contracts to Jimmy Anderson and Jimmy Haynes, and that was pretty bad, and giving Sean Casey a huge contract was a bad decision, but he did make some shrewed moves, like getting Jimenez, and his drafting doesn't look so bad (sorry for the run-on). He also had a great pitching coach in Don Gullet, who made his horrible pitching staff look good at times. To conclude, here are three good things I'll remember from Bowden's time:
1. drafting Dunn
2. drafting Kearns
3. hiring Gullet

I still want Depodesta as our GM.

hose
07-29-2003, 07:10 AM
Gammons mentioned ob BBT that Boone would tinker to much with the line up.

Don't know if Boone ever panicked like Manuel , I don't follow the Reds that close.

Procol Harum
07-29-2003, 10:01 AM
These two would probably still have their jobs if not for the injury-plagued flop of a certain high-cost, high-profile American League import from the Pacific Northwest....

gosox41
07-29-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Really? I don't know about that. Bowden really didn't impress me much (maybe because he was on such a tight budget). The guy didn't do anything horrible, but he didn't do anything special. He did give out contracts to Jimmy Anderson and Jimmy Haynes, and that was pretty bad, and giving Sean Casey a huge contract was a bad decision, but he did make some shrewed moves, like getting Jimenez, and his drafting doesn't look so bad (sorry for the run-on). He also had a great pitching coach in Don Gullet, who made his horrible pitching staff look good at times. To conclude, here are three good things I'll remember from Bowden's time:
1. drafting Dunn
2. drafting Kearns
3. hiring Gullet

I still want Depodesta as our GM.

I would love Depodesta as the GM. But if my only 2 choices were Bowden or Williams, I'd pick Bowden. I don't think he had much ownership support in Cincy. When the team moved into the new ballpark he was promised an increase in payroll of $20-25 mill and it never happened. Of course when he went out and got Griffey he was under the assumption it would. He has made some mistakes, but doesn't seem to get fleeced as much on his trades.

I thought at the time the Griffey trade was good. The fact that he was signing below his market rate made it better. But it's hard to predict injury problems in a guy who was relatively healthy up to the point. Losing Pokey Reese and Mike Cameron at the time made perfect sense for Griffey.

Bob

delben91
07-29-2003, 02:53 PM
I'd be interested to hear what a local (or at least someone who followed the Reds more closely) thought of both Bowden and Boone...

Effigy, you out there anywhere man?

Jerko
07-29-2003, 11:35 PM
I'm a Reds fan, and I think Boone was a little worse than Bowden. Haynes had a good year last year and nobody knew he would suck this season; Dempster just fell apart, and Wilson and Anderson are goofs. Boone, however, was responsible for way too much, gasp, TINKERING! Some examples of this tinkering include Aaron Boone at second to open the way for Brandon Larsen at 3rd, sending Larsen down and putting Boone back at 3rd, Adam Dunn at leadoff with a 200 average and on pace to break the strikeout record and 26 homers, Danny Graves a closer who is now a starter, Williamson and Sullivan both pitching seemingly every day to the point of injury, the dreaded 4 man rotation, a different 2nd baseman every week, Griffey back too early at the expense of a hot Guillen, causing Guillen to ask for a trade just as the team started doing well..... etc.