PDA

View Full Version : Sox claim LHP Bill Pulsipher off waivers...

MaggPipes
08-24-2001, 07:55 AM
does anyone know what this guys throws????

Soxboyrob
08-24-2001, 09:47 AM
all I know is that they just said on the radio that Ginter was sent down in order to make room for Pulsipher. I thought for sure that they'd send down Embree.

Fisk Fan
08-24-2001, 09:52 AM
I think he is a reliever from Boston, but I'm not sure what he throws.

Soxboyrob
08-24-2001, 09:58 AM
Based on his numbers this season, I think he throws a lot of 88 mph fastballs down the middle and a lot of hanging curveballs.

Paulwny
08-24-2001, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
all I know is that they just said on the radio that Ginter was sent down in order to make room for Pulsipher. I thought for sure that they'd send down Embree.

Embree has ML longevity and can't be sent to the minors without his approval

Randar68
08-24-2001, 10:28 AM
Embree has ML longevity and can't be sent to the minors without his approval

But he can be waived or outrighted, which would instantly make us a better team. Lefties only hit like .220 off Pulsipher, he just can't get anyone right handed out....

Paulwny
08-24-2001, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

But he can be waived or outrighted, which would instantly make us a better team. Lefties only hit like .220 off Pulsipher, he just can't get anyone right handed out....

JR would have to pay his salary for the rest of the year, he'll keep a warm body.

Randar68
08-24-2001, 10:33 AM
JR would have to pay his salary for the rest of the year, he'll keep a warm body.

Well, I'd rather use the roster spot on Ginter, Fogg, Guerrier, anyone with potential. Embree is a waste of space, and SF has already eaten most of this season's salary!!!

JR, learn to Cut the Fat!!!!!

Paulwny
08-24-2001, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

Well, I'd rather use the roster spot on Ginter, Fogg, Guerrier, anyone with potential. Embree is a waste of space, and SF has already eaten most of this season's salary!!!

JR, learn to Cut the Fat!!!!!

I totally agree but I don't think JR's bean counters agree.

Joel Perez
08-24-2001, 11:56 AM
Pulshipher was originally picked in the '91 draft out of high school by the New York Mets. At that time, his progression was so rapid the Metropolitans felt they had three future studs in their organization at the same time: Paul Wilson, Jason Isringhausen, and Pully. All three pitchers in the mid-1990s, however, fell to one arm injury after another. Wilson and Pulshipher fell to Tommy John surgery, while Izzy fell to two separate arm injuries.

Because of their now ineffectiveness, all three pitchers are pitching elsewhere...Wilson in TB, Izzy in Oak-town, and Pully now here.

Before Pully was picked up here, he threw major cheese. His fastball was clocked in the 92-95 MPH zone, with a VERY WICKED curveball, slider, and a seldom-used changeup. He used to throw in a very "violent" herky-jerky motion to use deception ala Hideo Nomo-like stance to gun out the hitters. Now with the surgery, his pitching stance has changed that he must throw ala Scott Radinsky and use "motion deception" to hide the fact that his fastball rarely tops around 92 MPH. He uses his changeup now more than ever, but after being in the Milwaukee and Boston chain, he needs more exposure in the bigs to make himself useful. In other words, he's a gamble at best.

However, he is getting left handed batters out at a .214 BA this year, so if Kenny Williams is looking for a situation lefty out of the pen, Pully may be his guy. He's only 28, so he still has some good enough baseball left in him IMO. After being on three teams/organizations in the last 10 years, it's now or never for Pulshipher. He still may surprise...I'm very surprised that Boston let him go.

KempersRS
08-24-2001, 12:05 PM
he's a gamble at best.

Yes, he is, but atleast its a better move than picking up Embree. He is terrible at best.

Tragg
08-24-2001, 12:31 PM
And we didn't have to give up a player to get this guy.

Paulwny
08-24-2001, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
him IMO. After being on three teams/organizations in the last 10 years, it's now or never for Pulshipher. He still may surprise...I'm very surprised that Boston let him go. [/B]

I'm also surprised the Bosox let him go. A team chasing the yankmes with amost all the power from the left side you'd think Boston would keep any and all lefties. Something is wrong here.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2001, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS

Yes, he is, but atleast its a better move than picking up Embree. He is terrible at best.

You know what Embree's biggest contribution to the team has been? Getting Josh Paul sent down to make room on the roster.

Of course now Mr. Versatile is back, which only proves how screwed up this entire season has been.