PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Levine on CLTV's Sportspage Said ...

joecrede
07-27-2003, 11:07 PM
He expects the Sox to make a deal for the Padres Kevin Jarvis (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5184).

Unregistered
07-27-2003, 11:11 PM
He's making $3 million this year, and I don't know what his contract status is, but if we get him for CHEAP, he'd definately be an improvement over Porzio/Wright. Come to think of it, bringing back Jose Conseco to pitch in the 5-spot would probably be an improvement over those ass clowns...

DrCrawdad
07-27-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
He expects the Sox to make a deal for the Padres Kevin Jarvis (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5184).

Is that suppose to knock my socks off?

Unregistered
07-27-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Is that suppose to knock my socks off? As I look down, my socks remain firmly IN TACT.

adsit
07-27-2003, 11:17 PM
Sort of a retread... he's been hurt a lot in his career. And he didn't do too well the last time he pitched in the American League.

Dave

Vsahajpal
07-27-2003, 11:21 PM
I've (I don't know why) seen his last 4 starts, and he's pitching really well. I think this has the potential to be another Woody Williams situation. It'd be a pure salary dump, so I doubt it cost anything.

adsit
07-27-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
I've (I don't know why) seen his last 4 starts, and he's pitching really well. I think this has the potential to be another Woody Williams situation. It'd be a pure salary dump, so I doubt it cost anything.

In that case, I'd say he fills the bill. On that criterion, anyone who doesn't cost us a starting position player and can take us deep into games without getting us killed is worth a look. I give the people who scout talent for a living credit for knowing things I don't.

Dave

WinningUgly!
07-27-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
He's making $3 million this year, and I don't know what his contract status is, but if we get him for CHEAP, he'd definately be an improvement over Porzio/Wright. Come to think of it, bringing back Jose Conseco to pitch in the 5-spot would probably be an improvement over those ass clowns...

Jarvis' contract...
2003: $3.0M
2004: $4.25M
2005: Team option $5.25M or $0.5M buyout

4-2, 3.91 ERA. Jarvis would be a great pick up. He's given up a total of 7 runs in his last 4 starts (2 gms vs. SF, 2 gms vs. AZ). Pull that trigger KW!

SouthSideHitman
07-28-2003, 12:07 AM
I think that this would be a smart move. We'd at least get a good fifth guy to get us to October. If he continues to do well next year, all the better, as we'll probably lose either Bartolo or Esteban or both.

That being said, I just don't want KW to stripmine our farm system of decent guys in AA and AAA and/or guys with great potential in A ball just for a rent-a-starter. The Sox have a decent farm system but there isn't unlimited depth here. We can't afford to have a dry farm system in a few years, because we can't make that up with money.

WinningUgly!
07-28-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
I think that this would be a smart move. We'd at least get a good fifth guy to get us to October. If he continues to do well next year, all the better, as we'll probably lose either Bartolo or Esteban or both.

That being said, I just don't want KW to stripmine our farm system of decent guys in AA and AAA and/or guys with great potential in A ball just for a rent-a-starter. The Sox have a decent farm system but there isn't unlimited depth here. We can't afford to have a dry farm system in a few years, because we can't make that up with money.

Loaiza isn't going anywhere next year. The Sox have a $3.5M option on him.

A.T. Money
07-28-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Loaiza isn't going anywhere next year. The Sox have a $3.5M option on him.

Actually, I don't think we have an option on him.

Daver
07-28-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by SoxDemon

You may not have an option on his contract,but the Sox do.

:)

WinningUgly!
07-28-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by SoxDemon

Loaiza, 31, went 9-10 with a 5.71 ERA in 25 starts with the Toronto Blue Jays last season and has a 69-73 record with a 4.88 ERA over eight major league seasons with the Pirates, Rangers and Blue Jays.

If he's added to the major league roster, he would get a $500,000, one-year contract and Chicago would get a $3.5 million option for 2004 with a $150,00 buyout.

Linky. (http://cgi.canoe.ca/Slam030127/mlb_cws-ap.html)

balboner
07-28-2003, 12:47 AM
Please god not Kevin Jarivs. Besides for making alot of money, he's also a horrible pitcher. He gives up a ton of homers and is injury prone. Guys numbers in the NL dont translate very well to the AL. Just look at Ritchie.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2003, 12:47 AM
Let's see the Sox can pay Jarvis 3 million or they can pay Suppan 500,000 and he has better numbers this year and pitched for the Royals so he'd LOVE to beat them.

Of course either would be better then Porzio, Wright or as some have suggested Rauch.

Lip

SoxOnTop
07-28-2003, 01:01 AM
Have any of you actually looked at this joker's stats? He's 33 years old and has yet to break a 4.80 ERA in any year he pitched more than 51 innings. A career 5.69 ERA? :o:

I don't know what you guys are smoking but this is exactly what we don't need. Another nobody who looks good now, but will undoubtedly pitch bad enough the rest of the way to get his ERA up to 5.00. I'll take Glover in the line-up before this clown.

MHOUSE
07-28-2003, 01:02 AM
Jarvis sounds like a good pickup. How old is he? Who would be going the other way? Where do you guys get all this salary info?

SoxFanDan
07-28-2003, 01:06 AM
give jarvis a try. hey can we sucker a trade whee they throw in trevor hoffman for the future

Lip Man 1
07-28-2003, 01:10 AM
I think his numbers showed that Gary Glover is definately NOT starting material.

Lip

SoxOnTop
07-28-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I think his numbers showed that Gary Glover is definately NOT starting material.

Maybe so, but what in Jarvis' numbers tell you that he's starting material?

jeremyb1
07-28-2003, 01:51 AM
i feel like this would be a good pick up if not for the 4.25 million on his contract for '04. as far as i remember we had around 1.5 million left in the budget at the beginning of the season that we tried to use to lure kenny rogers which is more than jarvis will have to be paid for the rest of the season. since we eat the salary of a player the padres no longer want to pay we don't have to give up any prospects.

again though the problem is the 4.25 million left on his contract next season. unless the padres pay a significant portion of that, we're giving up a third or maybe even half the money that could go towards resigning colon next season. it is possible though that san diego could pick up a good portion of that money because i can't see how anyone would every pay jarvis that much.

MisterB
07-28-2003, 04:18 AM
1) He's injury prone.
2) He's had only one relatively good season (of the few he's been healthy enough to pitch regularly)
3) $4.25M due for next season.

Even if SD paid the remainder of his contract this deal is questionable.

Kenny - just say NO to Kevin Jarvis.

Risk
07-28-2003, 09:12 AM
JHC Kenny,
If we were to get a fifth starter, I still say we should go with either Ponson or Suppan. Ponson has been solid all year for a bad team in an extremily tough AL East. I can't believe that having to pay Ponson 3.5 Mil and winning baseball games could be worse than signing a crappy pitcher like Jarvis who is injury prone, old, and overpayed. If Kenny is serious about a championship this year, he has to get Ponson. S###, even Suppan is a better pick-up, even though I get nervous any time Williams talks about trading with Pittsburgh.

Risk

WillieHarris12
07-28-2003, 09:17 AM
I'd do it. Look at the numbers on his last four starts....

Gumshoe
07-28-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Risk
JHC Kenny,
If we were to get a fifth starter, I still say we should go with either Ponson or Suppan. Ponson has been solid all year for a bad team in an extremily tough AL East. I can't believe that having to pay Ponson 3.5 Mil and winning baseball games could be worse than signing a crappy pitcher like Jarvis who is injury prone, old, and overpayed. If Kenny is serious about a championship this year, he has to get Ponson. S###, even Suppan is a better pick-up, even though I get nervous any time Williams talks about trading with Pittsburgh.

Risk

No, we don't need to mortgage the future for a 5th starter who might be just AVERAGE. Yes, NL guys suck. Once we get to the playoffs it won't matter who the 5th guy is AT ALL. Now, you'll say that we won't get there until we get that good 5th? Well, Escobar or maybe Suppan, or Ponson would be good, but Escobar we'll get ripped off for (J.P. Ricciardi = much smarter than KW, plus KW is under pressure), and the Ponson Konerko trade may have been KW's worst choice. Thankfully, people reject KW a few times (anaheim) or we wouldn't have Garland.

Gumshoe

longshot7
07-28-2003, 02:17 PM
I'd do the Livan Hernandez trade instead - if I had a choice

Tragg
07-28-2003, 02:23 PM
I'll say this - he looks like a Padres fifth starter to me. We should be able to get this guy for a bag of balls. Good lord.

FJA
07-28-2003, 04:04 PM
Chris Boden on ESPN 1000 just reported that it is the Padres trying to interest the Sox in Jarvis, and that they had two scouts in town this weekend.

Hopefully they were only here to see Porzio ... the fact that the Padres are trying to get KW to take Jarvis and it's not KW pursuing Jarvis worries me a bit ...

Gumshoe
07-28-2003, 04:15 PM
KW + pursuing normally means bad deal for the Sox. Maybe the other way around will turn a good deal ...

Gumshoe

Steve Bartman
07-28-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by balboner
Please god not Kevin Jarivs. Besides for making alot of money, he's also a horrible pitcher. He gives up a ton of homers and is injury prone. Guys numbers in the NL dont translate very well to the AL. Just look at Ritchie.

Kevin Jarvis would be like another Todd Ritchie, and like Koch we would have him for another year.

gosox41
07-28-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
As I look down, my socks remain firmly IN TACT.

My socks are so far from being knocked off, I'm putting on a second pair.

Bob