PDA

View Full Version : call me naive but..


fquaye149
07-27-2003, 08:36 PM
after watching sunday night baseball..i would love to have jeff weaver...he looks like a tool on the mound, but his curveball is sikk

gogosoxgogo
07-27-2003, 08:40 PM
me too. That curveball is scary and I really think that getting the hell out of New York is going to help more than people think. I don't think it will happen, however. My prediction is that we end up with Suppan.

Joel Perez
07-27-2003, 08:41 PM
Yeah, but what about picking up that hefty salary of his, plus the fact that he is as inconsistent as any #5 starter that we had all year?

I'll take my chances and call up Danny Wright again.

gogosoxgogo
07-27-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
Yeah, but what about picking up that hefty salary of his, plus the fact that he is as inconsistent as any #5 starter that we had all year?

I'll take my chances and call up Danny Wright again.

I don't think it would be too difficult to get the Yanks to take his salary, they've got the money. He has been incosistant, you're correct, but I really think getting away from NY will help. We all know he has the stuff the pitch, just look at his Detroit stats for proof of that.

Daver
07-27-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
I don't think it would be too difficult to get the Yanks to take his salary, they've got the money. He has been incosistant, you're correct, but I really think getting away from NY will help. We all know he has the stuff the pitch, just look at his Detroit stats for proof of that.

Weaver's contract:

2002: $2.4M
2003: $4.1M
2004: $6.25M
2005: $9.25M


There is no way the Yankees are going to eat two more years of this guys contract without getting a starting MLB player in return.

FJA
07-27-2003, 08:59 PM
Weaver might be able to help us, but it's not worth the risk of that contract OR giving up a player that can actually help the Yankees. Earlier in the year, his splits indicated he was playing better away from Yankee Stadium, but it's all evened out since. Obviously he would be a huge improvement over the Porzio/Wrong 5th starter platoon, but I don't really think that's the most important question to consider.

gogosoxgogo
07-27-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by FJA
Weaver might be able to help us, but it's not worth the risk of that contract OR giving up a player that can actually help the Yankees. Earlier in the year, his splits indicated he was playing better away from Yankee Stadium, but it's all evened out since. Obviously he would be a huge improvement over the Porzio/Wrong 5th starter platoon, but I don't really think that's the most important question to consider.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think is more important than the 5th starter spot?

gogosoxgogo
07-27-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by daver
Weaver's contract:

2002: $2.4M
2003: $4.1M
2004: $6.25M
2005: $9.25M


There is no way the Yankees are going to eat two more years of this guys contract without getting a starting MLB player in return.

I didn't realize his contract was for that much. You're right. I still think the Yanks will eat some of that salary if he's traded, but if we have to pay a large portion, it's not worth it (especially if they're going to want someone from our bullpen).

Joel Perez
07-27-2003, 09:09 PM
If the C situation (Alomar/Olivo) continues to be consistent, and if Everett can handle CF, right now the #5 starter is priority. Marte/Flash can handle the reliever duties...thinking ahead if the Sox do get to the playoffs, bet on Flash to get the duty of closing the door due to experience.

#5, though is priority. Hopefully, Matt Ginter will solidify the bullpen, which had been consistent (save Koch) up to Saturday night.

Daver
07-27-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
I didn't realize his contract was for that much. You're right. I still think the Yanks will eat some of that salary if he's traded, but if we have to pay a large portion, it's not worth it (especially if they're going to want someone from our bullpen).

They won't want someone from the bullpen,they will want Magglio Ordonez or Carlos Lee,they need a left fielder.

FJA
07-27-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Just out of curiosity, what do you think is more important than the 5th starter spot?

I definitely think a 5th starter is our most important need ... what I meant is that the questions about Weaver go beyond whether or not he's an improvement over Porzio/Wright. Of course he is. But if the Yankees are going to trade him, they're going to do it for someone who can help them get to and succeed in the playoffs. I don't know that I want to give that kind of player up, because that kind of player can probably also help us get to and succeed in the playoffs.

Additionally, I don't think there is any way the Yankees would pay $15.5 mil through 2005, even if we did get them to eat the rest of this year's salary. So we get Weaver for the playoff push, and now we're stuck with $15.5 mil for two more years ... we all know that doesn't make Uncle Jerry a happy man, and it could very well prevent us from signing players much more valuable than Weaver.

Ultimately, the only reason for us to get Weaver, given all these factors, is if he's the kind of player who can make a difference in us getting to the playoffs through 2005. I don't think so.

gogosoxgogo
07-27-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by daver
They won't want someone from the bullpen,they will want Magglio Ordonez or Carlos Lee,they need a left fielder.

They aren't stupid enough to ask for Maggs or Carlos for Weaver. The Yanks know how badly Weaver has diminished his value this year. Their outfield is fine for now with Williams, Matsui, and Mondesi. Their lineup is not the problem with their team. They need bullpen help and they know it. The Yanks would love to get someone like Marte or Gordon to really solidify their bullpen. They would also love to get their hands on Wunsch, a situational lefty who has had a ton of sucess this year and would be a huge upgrade from Orosco.

jabrch
07-27-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by daver
They won't want someone from the bullpen,they will want Magglio Ordonez or Carlos Lee,they need a left fielder.

The Yanks aren't getting either Lee or Mags for Weaver...Come on...

StepsInSC
07-27-2003, 10:25 PM
My prediction is that we end up with Suppan

My money says he ends up with Atlanta.

MHOUSE
07-27-2003, 11:57 PM
I'd like to get Weaver away from Yankee stadium and I think that would really help. Would there be any way to restructure his contract? Just like the Yankees to sign him up big and then let some other team eat the real $. Loaiza, Buehrle, Colon, Garland, Weaver would be potent.