PDA

View Full Version : N.L. Wild Card limits inter-league trade possibilities

hose
07-27-2003, 09:58 AM
The wild card is going to make it that much harder for the Sox to pick up some pitching help before the inter-league trading deadline of July 31st.

The NL Central is still up for grabs between the Astros, Cardinals, and Cubs. These 3 teams are buyers and not sellers. The Pirates have a couple of pitchers that might be available in Suppan or Benson. Kurt Benson would cost you a lot, while Suppan might be a little easier to obtain. The Reds are out of it , but so is their pitching. Milwaukee like the Reds lack pitching to begin with.

The NL East has the Braves in complete control of the division , but the only team that will probably be a seller before the trading deadline is the Mets. Steve Trachsel could be available. This division would be ripe for the picking with teams like Florida and Montreal 13 1/2 and 15 1/2 out of first but with the wild card even the Expos are still in it for now.

The NL West could see some teams moving pitchers. The Dodgers might want to trade Odalis Perez for his out bursts against the teams pathetic hitting. The Dodgers are still in the wild card hunt for now and pitchers like Wilson Alvarez or Andy Ashby could still probably be had for any type of stick. The Padres might be thinking of moving Rod Beck while his trade value is up. The Colorado Rockies and Diamondbacks are still in the wild card hunt.

oldcomiskey
07-27-2003, 11:10 AM
so we get him out of the American League

Tragg
07-27-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
so we get him out of the American League

The AL is a problem too - there are ony 4 teams who are for sure going to be below .500 and only 2 perhaps 3 others (balt, tor, maybe angels) with no playoff possibility. That means 50% of the league is in the playoff hunt and another 20% are decent teams and might not want to do a lot of dumping to hurt their future.

And there is a hell of a lot of competition for these arms, so the price will be high.

MarkEdward
07-27-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by hose

Kurt Benson would cost you a lot, while Suppan might be a little easier to obtain.

In my opinion, Kris Benson would be relatively easy to obtain. He hasn't bee that good this year, he's expensive, and Dave Littlefield doesn't seem to high on him. The only thing Kris has going for him is that he's somewhat young.

Speaking about Pirates' pitching, I'd also like to see Jeff D'Amico come here. He's been about as good as Suppan this year.

As for the Dodgers, I wonder if Dan Evans believes they're still in it. Their offense has just been atrocious (three hits in 15 innings against the Dodgers on Friday). Would they waive the white flag? I'd like to get either Shuey or Quantrill from them.

Lip Man 1
07-27-2003, 01:50 PM
I don't know exactly WHO might be available but these teams are out of it. There must be SOMEBODY worth a damn the Sox can get from among:

Reds
Pirates
Mets
Brewers
Padres
Rockies
Expos (maybe)
Orioles
Indians
Tigers
Rangers
Devil Rays

That's a lot of teams to try to make a deal with.

Lip

hose
07-27-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
In my opinion, Kris Benson would be relatively easy to obtain. He hasn't bee that good this year, he's expensive, and Dave Littlefield doesn't seem to high on him. The only thing Kris has going for him is that he's somewhat young.

Speaking about Pirates' pitching, I'd also like to see Jeff D'Amico come here. He's been about as good as Suppan this year.

As for the Dodgers, I wonder if Dan Evans believes they're still in it. Their offense has just been atrocious (three hits in 15 innings against the Dodgers on Friday). Would they waive the white flag? I'd like to get either Shuey or Quantrill from them.

The Dodgers have some veterans that could help out a team in the hunt. Just don't know if Danny Evans is going to throw in the cards before the deadline.

SoxxoS
07-27-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I don't know exactly WHO might be available but these teams are out of it. There must be SOMEBODY worth a damn the Sox can get from among:

Reds
Pirates
Mets
Brewers
Padres
Rockies
Expos (maybe)
Orioles
Indians
Tigers
Rangers
Devil Rays

Lip

Okay......I'll take Javier Vazquez.

hose
07-27-2003, 06:21 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lip Man 1
[B]I don't know exactly WHO might be available but these teams are out of it. There must be SOMEBODY worth a damn the Sox can get from among:

Reds
Pirates
Mets
Brewers
Padres
Rockies
Expos (maybe)
Orioles
Indians
Tigers
Rangers
Devil Rays

Lip you have been saying all along that you can't have enough pitching. I thought Danny Wright would be a solid #5 starter...didn't happen.

Who would have predicted last year fireman of the year isn't trusted enough to bring into a fairly close game. Koch has screwed things up for the Sox. The bull pen SHOULD be set, but instead the Sox will need to look for help.

Joel Perez
07-27-2003, 09:49 PM
Hmmm....
Cleveland is in our division, and they would probably ask for a King's ransom for any of their pitching prospects. The only one worth mentioning right now on their team is CC, and he's pretty much untouchable.

The Reds' starting rotation is shaky. Same for NYM.

In Milwaukee, Ben Sheets, the USA hero for the pitching squad in the last Olympics, might be available at the right price. Milwaukee needs help everywhere, and their farm system is the worst among baseball.

In Pittsburgh, Kris Benson and Jeff Suppan may be available, but you never know. Benson has been hurt but has potential as a staff ace. Suppan always had good stuff since his Boston days, but like Esteban Loaiza, has really never put it all together until late in his career....who knows? Someone mentioned Jeff D'Amico....great arm...when it's healthy. See Cal Eldred on this one, and remember, JD came from the BrewCrew farm, just like Cal did.

Can someone remind me how Colorado and Montreal are doing this year? Jason Jennings, NL ROY a couple of years ago, is doing pretty good as second banana to Shawn Chacon, so he may be untouchable. Same for Javier Vasquez, since Montreal is close to a wild card race.

Lip Man 1
07-27-2003, 10:49 PM
ESPN said Vasquez is NOT available.

By the way Phil Rogers has the first part of a two part series now on the Tribune's web site. He looks at every A.L. team and talks about needs and who is available. I assume the N.L. will be tomorrow or Tuesday.

He says the Sox needs are a 5th starter and more bullpen help (although he says Wunsch returning might change that bullpen part.)

Lip