PDA

View Full Version : mike porzio has to go

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-26-2003, 10:16 PM
this guy sucks. he hasnt done anything and still gets to start and go and give up leads. there has to be someone better than him. danny wright, gary glover, adkins, rauch, ginter, trade for someone, anything!!! porzio does not deserve to wear bill simas' #41 either, not pitching like that.

RedPinStripes
07-26-2003, 11:43 PM
:KW
"Your wish is my command"

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-26-2003, 11:59 PM
Porzio Down, Ginter Up (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030726soxnotes,1,1030500.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

Konerkoholic
07-27-2003, 12:02 AM
Ginter is not the answer.

DrCrawdad
07-27-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Konerkoholic
Ginter is not the answer.

Perhaps it's not saying much, but I'll take Ginter over White or Glover.

duke of dorwood
07-27-2003, 12:18 AM
I agree-Ginter has given us innings before, while pitching early relief. Seems to have an arm that comes back quickly. Porzio is that rare commodity, a left hander with no value.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-27-2003, 12:20 AM
what the heck? are they going to use ginter to start now? or start glover or white? :chunks

MHOUSE
07-27-2003, 01:19 AM
Please don't tell me this starts a parade of non-starters every 5th day. I can't stomach that.

Thunderstruck30
07-27-2003, 01:21 AM
Isnt Ginter a reliever?

MHOUSE
07-27-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Isnt Ginter a reliever?

He was last season for us. But then again so was Porzio. Has Matt been starting much at AAA? I don't recall him getting starts down there, but he was pitching well either way.

jeremyb1
07-27-2003, 01:36 AM
the trib reports the move is temporary. we'll skip the fifth starter with the off day monday and then decide who will be the fifth starter the next time through the rotation. i'm thinking look for rauch if he pitches well in charlotte or cotts. we'll have to see.

doublem23
07-27-2003, 01:37 AM
Memo to Kenny Williams: My socks have an itching to be blown off.

WinningUgly!
07-27-2003, 01:42 AM
Ginter is not going to be starting! He was 3-2 with 13 saves and a 2.87 ERA in 39 relief appearances for Charlotte. He should have been with the Sox since spring training.

WhiteSox = Life
07-27-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Ginter is not going to be starting! He was 3-2 with 13 saves and a 2.87 ERA in 39 relief appearances for Charlotte. He should have been with the Sox since spring training.

Those are some pretty solid numbers. Why wasn't he called up long before?

Then again, Jerry might not have used him, anyway. For example, look at Gary Glover. Not used all year, and used a few times the last couple weeks. If Ginter was going to be brought in like that, might as well leave him in AAA. I only hope Jerry lets him, how do you say? Oh yeah, pitch out of the bullpen.

TornLabrum
07-27-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Memo to Kenny Williams: My socks have an itching to be blown off.

I heard a report today that Prof. Chaos (yup, he's earned the nickname again) has said the Sox will not be a major player between now and Thursday. He reached this decision reportedly after asking the on-field staff (Manuel? Cooper?) if they had any particular needs that had to be addressed and they said there were none.

So we're standing pat, boys and girls.

doublem23
07-27-2003, 03:08 AM
How can there not be any needs? Doesn't he watch his 5th starter get shelled everytime they take the mound...

God dammit. :angry:

FJA
07-27-2003, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
How can there not be any needs? Doesn't he watch his 5th starter get shelled everytime they take the mound...

God dammit. :angry:

Well, that wasn't QUITE the report ... the report was that the on-field staff said they were fine, and KW said that the only way a deal will be done is if it involves us getting an impact-type player. So basically, we're not going to trade for another team's No. 4 starter, but if we could get Suppan or Ponson, etc., we'll go for it.

I'm fairly comfortable that KW is doing what he can to fill this very obvious need.

TornLabrum
07-27-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by FJA
Well, that wasn't QUITE the report ... the report was that the on-field staff said they were fine, and KW said that the only way a deal will be done is if it involves us getting an impact-type player. So basically, we're not going to trade for another team's No. 4 starter, but if we could get Suppan or Ponson, etc., we'll go for it.

I'm fairly comfortable that KW is doing what he can to fill this very obvious need.

I read the article in the Sun-Times after I posted, and it sounded a whole lot better than the 20-second version of it on The Score.

Tragg
07-27-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by FJA

That's pretty much what suppan and ponson are - 4th starters.

MisterB
07-27-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
That's pretty much what suppan and ponson are - 4th starters.

Suppan and Ponson are both lead their teams in innings pitched and wins and have ERAs under 4. They are considered the aces of weak pitching staffs, and either is a obvious upgrade over Wright or Porzio, and are arguably having better seasons than Buehrle and Garland at this point.

Lip Man 1
07-27-2003, 01:40 PM
Torn Labrum says: "We're standing pat boys and girls."

I think it was George Steinbrenner who was quoted as saying "if you stand pat you're falling behind."

A very wise man.

Like I said on another thread ONLY the Sox would risk blowing a playoff spot or missing a chance to go deep into the playoffs, because they can't or won't fill ALL of their needs. It's 1990, 1993, 1996 and 2000 all over again.

By the way Suppan's salary for this year is I think, 500,000. The Sox can't pick THAT up?????

Lip