PDA

View Full Version : Pressure On Jerry Manuel?

RKMeibalane
07-26-2003, 04:40 PM
When the second half of the season began last Thursday, Jerry Manuel said that he intends to use "more of a set lineup" during the second half. So far, he has reduced the amount of tinkering he normally does when generating a new lineup, and has instead, opted to use the following lineup:

2B- Alomar
LF- Lee
DH- Thomas
RF- Ordonez
CF- Everett
1B- Konerko
SS- Valentin
3B- Crede
C- Olivo

Most of Manuel's tinkering has manifested itself during the late innings of close ballgames. While his decision-making has been questionable at best, it looks as though he is trying to be more consistent with his personel decisions. Having said that, I now ask the following question:

Is Manuel's behavior the result of pressure from within the Sox organization, such as Kenny Williams or Jerry Reinsdorf? Do any of you suppose it's possible that management has grown so tired of JM's tinkering that they are now cracking down on him?

As PHG pointed out a few weeks ago, Ken "Hawk" Harrelson has often served as a mouth-piece for Jerry Reinsdorf. In other words, if JR is thinking it, Hawk will speak it at some point. Hawk was extremely critical of Manuel's moves during the Tampa Bay and Cleveland road series, and he wasn't the only one. Bill Melton also pointed out that Manuel needed to "stick with a set lineup so the players can settle into their roles."

Thoughts?

voodoochile
07-26-2003, 06:11 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if something was said. From the sounds of things this spring, JM won a power struggle with KW to keep him out of the locker room. But, I would bet that after Everett and Alomar were acquired and then JM continued to play Harris and Rowand, KW either went back to the people who told him to stay out of it to get them back involved, or he just told JM to play the new guys all the time or be fired (if he still has that authority).

Of course all of that is pure speculation on my part, but it seems to fit the facts.

Whatever was said and however it was said, the results are all good...

duke of dorwood
07-26-2003, 06:22 PM
I predict that when we get to playing the good teams again, the tinkering will return to its normal state.

RKMeibalane
07-26-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I predict that when we get to playing the good teams again, the tinkering will return to its normal state.

I hope not.