PDA

View Full Version : Will Thomas hit 500?

Thunderstruck30
07-26-2003, 01:30 AM
Frank Thomas says his goal is to hit 500 home runs. Will he?

Shoeless Joe
07-26-2003, 02:14 AM
If Barry can do it as an old dinosaur so can Frank.

Jjav829
07-26-2003, 02:27 AM
I think he can do it if he stays healthy. As for the Barry did it, so Frank can thing. Bonds is on a completely different level than Frank. That's why Bonds broke 500 and 600 easily and should get 700. Forget his age, if the ball if left near the plate Bonds will crush it.

voodoochile
07-26-2003, 02:29 AM
He will probably hit at least 15-20 more this season and that would mean 3 seasons averaging 30 (Well within reach) would give him 500+. I don't see how he can't hit 500. He gets hot and plays for 6 more years and he might hit 600 - though that would be a stretch.

doublem23
07-26-2003, 02:37 AM
Can he? For sure. Will he? That's another story, but, like voodoo said, if he swings the bat this way for another 4-5 seasons (which would put him at what? 36-37?), he can definitely break 500. Personally, I think Frank should be very satisfied with anything above 450, considering the troubles he's had and the years he lost.

Jjav829
07-26-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Can he? For sure. Will he? That's another story, but, like voodoo said, if he swings the bat this way for another 4-5 seasons (which would put him at what? 36-37?), he can definitely break 500. Personally, I think Frank should be very satisfied with anything above 450, considering the troubles he's had and the years he lost.

Hes 35 now so 4-5 seasons would put him at 39-40.

doublem23
07-26-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Hes 35 now so 4-5 seasons would put him at 39-40.

Damn. I underestimated that one.

Dan H
07-26-2003, 06:30 AM
I want to see a World Series first. Personal milestones can come later.

RKMeibalane
07-26-2003, 07:58 AM
Five hundred is well within the Big Hurt's reach. The question is, what uniform will he be wearing when it happens?

:reinsy

"Why do you keep implying that Frank is going to leave?"

Because you won't do what it takes to win, JR.

LuvSox
07-26-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Five hundred is well within the Big Hurt's reach. The question is, what uniform will he be wearing when it happens?

He HAS to do 500 in a Sox uniform. Frank IS the Sox for a generation of fans. On the other hand, Uncle Jerry is the owner for a generation too.

Dadawg_77
07-26-2003, 02:23 PM
I think he can do it if he stays healthy. As for the Barry did it, so Frank can thing. Bonds is on a completely different level than Frank. That's why Bonds broke 500 and 600 easily and should get 700. Forget his age, if the ball if left near the plate Bonds will crush it.

Bonds right now is on a completely different level then anyone in baseball. But remember he was 36 when he hit this level and Frank is 35. Not saying Frank will hit Bond's level, but it is possible.

RKMeibalane
07-26-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Bonds right now is on a completely different level then anyone in baseball. But remember he was 36 when he hit this level and Frank is 35. Not saying Frank will hit Bond's level, but it is possible.

Bonds has been helped the past few years by playing in an excellent hitter's park. Frank, on the other hand, has played virtually his entire career in a facility that has never been known as "hitter friendly." I wonder how his home run totals have been affected by playing half his games at New Comiskey/US Cellular Field.

Just out of curiousity, how many home runs do you think Frank could hit if he played at the Urinal?

Dadawg_77
07-26-2003, 02:31 PM
Bonds has been helped the past few years by playing in an excellent hitter's park. Frank, on the other hand, has played virtually his entire career in a facility that has never been known as "hitter friendly." I wonder how his home run totals have been affected by playing half his games at New Comiskey/US Cellular Field.

Just out of curiousity, how many home runs do you think Frank could hit if he played at the Urinal?

From the park factors that I have seen, CP has been a slighty above average hitters' park while WF has been a slighty above average pitchers' park. For 2002, 1000 is avg, WF 957, Sox 1037. Fopr this thread Pac Bell 921. This one doesn't include righty vs lefty park factor thou.

Deadguy
07-26-2003, 02:50 PM

The difference, though, is that Bonds has an uppercut swing that is tailor made for lots of homerun shots. Thomas basically is just a line drive hitter, whose swing is more level, and not as likely to generate as many homeruns.

Jjav829
07-26-2003, 02:54 PM

I don't even think it's possible. Sorry, but what Bonds is doing is out of this world. It's the reason hes going to be remembered as the best hitter of his generation and the reason hes given people reason to debate him as the best player of all time. Comparing Frank to Bonds is like comparing apples and oranges.

If Frank stays at his current level, he can do it if he doesn't break down. The problem is that he is 35 so hes past his prime years meaning we could see his numbers drop.

jeremyb1
07-26-2003, 03:06 PM
as most people have said, its pretty much just an entirely of health. frank has never hit fewer than 24 home runs in a season and is on pace for 38 this season so if he stays reasonably healthy so that he can play around 4 more seasons after this one, it seems like a good bet.

RKMeibalane
07-26-2003, 03:10 PM
I don't even think it's possible. Sorry, but what Bonds is doing is out of this world. It's the reason hes going to be remembered as the best hitter of his generation and the reason hes given people reason to debate him as the best player of all time. Comparing Frank to Bonds is like comparing apples and oranges.

If Frank stays at his current level, he can do it if he doesn't break down. The problem is that he is 35 so hes past his prime years meaning we could see his numbers drop.

I agree. Frank Thomas is an outstanding hitter, but he won't approach what Bonds has done. I'm not sure if anybody, aside from perhaps Alex Rodriguez, has the ability to be the offensive juggernaut that Bonds has become. He's that good.

The way I see it, there's no reason why Frank can't continue to hit at least thirty home runs a season. That would get him to five hundred by about 2006, when he will be thirty eight.

Either way, he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. For anyone to even suggest that he doesn't is ridiculous. No, he has never been a great defensive first baseman, but the same can be said for many players currently in the Hall. Players should be judged on what they did well during their careers, and whether they fulfilled the promise they had when they came to the Major Leagues. When Frank came up back in 1990, nobody gave a damn whether he could "pick it" at first base. He was expected to hit, and he has done exactly that.

1951Campbell
07-27-2003, 01:02 AM

RK, this is scary, but...PacBell is the worst hitter's park in the majors if you look at total home runs. I was amazed. Especially considering how many of those were Barry's.