PDA

View Full Version : Marte/Gorden

mike squires
07-25-2003, 03:50 PM
As big as last nights game was it digusted me to watch Marte and Gorden pich as long as they did. I would have even prefered not to see them at all.

Hawk pointed out you have to get White in there who's been pitching well.

I realize Gorden used to be a started and could probably throw some innings but his role has changed now...

You gotta get Koch in there as well for some set up opportunities.

I know all this has been said before and I'm beating a dead horse...

I would not use Marte or Gorden all weekend. Save them so they'll be fresh for the KC series. Wouldn't that be sweet to take 2 out of 3 or even sweep and have the oppostunity to be in first place. Two weeks ago I was saying the season was over...

Oh yeah, we were playing a weak schedule, the season is still over..... :?:

pl8ump1012
07-25-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
As big as last nights game was it digusted me to watch Marte and Gorden pich as long as they did. I would have even prefered not to see them at all.

Hawk pointed out you have to get White in there who's been pitching well.

I realize Gorden used to be a started and could probably throw some innings but his role has changed now...

You gotta get Koch in there as well for some set up opportunities.

I know all this has been said before and I'm beating a dead horse...

I would not use Marte or Gorden all weekend. Save them so they'll be fresh for the KC series. Wouldn't that be sweet to take 2 out of 3 or even sweep and have the oppostunity to be in first place. Two weeks ago I was saying the season was over...

Oh yeah, we were playing a weak schedule, the season is still over..... :?:

I dont think its a good idea to get Koch in there with anything less than a 5 run difference in score...even that's pushing it.

NewyorkSoxFan
07-25-2003, 04:00 PM
I agree with you 100%!! But who is Gorden?

Tom Gordon.

Sorry had to correct that, it was bugging me.

NYSF :)

Dancing Banana's do yo thing!!

Brian26
07-25-2003, 04:50 PM
Last night you HAVE to get Gordon and Marte in there. That was a winnable game. You can't screw around at this point in the season. Every game counts. We're 2/3 of the way done with the schedule, so there's no time to experiment or hope that someone regains their form in BIG GAME situations. Gordon and Marte are the hot hands right now, and you have to ride them as long as you can. We've got a shot at this thing, but we have to play every close game like it's must-win.

As for the weekend series, I imagine the Sox will go with Koch or Glover if they have a nice lead. I don't expect to see Gordon go more than an inning if he's needed.

longshot7
07-25-2003, 05:08 PM
you're crazy - I think you have to use Marte and Gordon in those kind of situations - they're our best relievers - we need to win games like those. Heck, we need to win every game.

voodoochile
07-25-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
you're crazy - I think you have to use Marte and Gordon in those kind of situations - they're our best relievers - we need to win games like those. Heck, we need to win every game.

Especially on the road. Holding back your best closers in a tied game because you MIGHT need them tomorrow is suicide. Sox might put up 10 runs in the first inning tonight and allow Manuel to use the second tier relievers if he needs one at all...

TheRockinMT
07-25-2003, 05:20 PM
With us mounting a run at the Royals every game must be a must win game. You have to use your best relief pitchers and Koch, at this point in time, is not one of them. White came on and even though he got the save gave up a homerun. Reminded me of Koch only not as bad.

I think the moves were proper and considering Loaiza pitches tonight and is very capable of a CG or at least 7-8 good innings the only prudent move to make.

Gordon and Marte will be ready for Saturday, but I think one or both could be used tonight and do a good job. The idea of having to rest a relief pitcher for a game for everyone they start is a bit ridiculous anyway.

hold2dibber
07-25-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
I would not use Marte or Gorden all weekend. Save them so they'll be fresh for the KC series.

All that matters is the W-L at the end of the season. I sure would hate to see Glover or Sanders or Koch blow winnable games against the Rays just so the Sox have Marte and Gordon ready for KC. You saw what happened to the team after the last blown lead against the Rays - a 10 game tailspin. I doubt Marte or Gordon will be available tonight. But after that, you use them how you always use them. KC is later. Beat the Devil Rays now.

jeremyb1
07-25-2003, 06:02 PM
marte and gordon pitched 2+ innings each meaning they should be unavailable today. i don't believe however that they were in jeopordy of injury or becoming so ineffective they were likely to blow the game. our pen isn't in good shape for today's game but you have to consider the fact that we have loaiza and colon pitching two of the games in this series and we're facing one of the worst teams in baseball so using gordon and marte to win last night's game is more important that their availability this next series if you ask me.

jcw218
07-25-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
All that matters is the W-L at the end of the season. [...] I doubt Marte or Gordon will be available tonight. But after that, you use them how you always use them. KC is later. Beat the Devil Rays now.

Plus the Sox have an off day Monday.