PDA

View Full Version : A Thought in the Cubs Ticket Scalping Scam

Clarkdog
07-25-2003, 11:30 AM
I'm not sure how many of read Greg Couch's great piece on the Cubs Premiere Ticket Service - if not - here is a link:

Cubs' Impossible Balancing Act (http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg251.html)

I think this is not only a big problem for the Cubs - but for all of baseball as well. But it might good for the fan in the long run.

Not so much because the Cubs are clearly try to screw both the fans and the other MLB ownership. But because it is bringing into specific light the shady accounting practices that MLB utilizes to distort the facts of the true business profitability. You gotta be a real piece of Samsonite if you buy into the idea that somehow the White Sox generate more media revenue than the Tribune owned Cubs.

This type of practice makes the common fan wonder why baseball can skirt around anti-trust laws with it's Supreme Court protection, and why Congress just doesn't repeal the anti-trust exemption.

2004 is an election year. A smart candidate might consider campaigning on this issue.

FJA
07-25-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Clarkdog
I'm not sure how many of read Greg Couch's great piece on the Cubs Premiere Ticket Service - if not - here is a link:

Cubs' Impossible Balancing Act (http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg251.html)

I think this is not only a big problem for the Cubs - but for all of baseball as well. But it might good for the fan in the long run.

Not so much because the Cubs are clearly try to screw both the fans and the other MLB ownership. But because it is bringing into specific light the shady accounting practices that MLB utilizes to distort the facts of the true business profitability. You gotta be a real piece of Samsonite if you buy into the idea that somehow the White Sox generate more media revenue than the Tribune owned Cubs.

This type of practice makes the common fan wonder why baseball can skirt around anti-trust laws with it's Supreme Court protection, and why Congress just doesn't repeal the anti-trust exemption.

2004 is an election year. A smart candidate might consider campaigning on this issue.

I read the article, and I completely agree. This is going to come back to bite the Cubs in the ass, and sooner, I think, rather than later. Baseball is stalling now, because the last thing it needs is another scandal on its hands, but if other owners start to put pressure on MLB, it's over.

I'm not quite sure what they could do to the Cubs ... does anyone know if there has been even the slightest amount of precedent for a case like this?

Hangar18
07-25-2003, 12:53 PM
I tend to .....and FIRMLY believe that if the Freakin' Chicago Media hadnt been so Pre-Occupied with that franchise, if there hadnt been Pre-Written stories about clinching divisions and world titles, if there hadnt been so much Propoganda over a LOSING team, If there hadnt been so much Positive and fuzzy warm blue attention given to that team.......This may have all come to LIGHT YEARS AND YEARS AGO. Their "popularity" having been a product of the mighty propoganda machines wgn and the tribune as well as other outlets.....has allowed them to take part in any number of heinous schemes that have have short-changed and destroyed Baseball as we know it. I find it funny though how Jerry Reinsdorf is perceived (and rightly so) to be the VILLAIN in chicago when it comes to some of the controversies involving baseball. But its also funny how the Cubs, that fuzzy blue machine up north, has managed to slip in the backdoor, walk the alleyways of MLB's streets, and stay right under the radar of
negative perception.

white sox bill
07-25-2003, 01:20 PM
I wonder why the Trib didn't pick up pn this story?