PDA

View Full Version : When are they going to put Koch on the DL?

Gumshoe
07-25-2003, 10:26 AM
They can't afford to pitch him in ANY close game.

White Sox, just admit that you traded for a pitcher whose arm is SHOT and put him on the DL to try to get it back!

Idiocy.

Gumshoe

A.T. Money
07-25-2003, 10:49 AM
He's like Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn from Major League 2. It's all mental.

Gumshoe
07-25-2003, 10:56 AM
But he hasn't show you that he's even THAT good a pitcher in his career. Closers are THE most overrated "position" in baseball, and he hasn't even been that good as one.

No matter how good your mental is, if you are a power pitcher who threw over 240 innings in the last 3 years (and 93 last year, averaging 17 pitches/inning), you aren't going to be successful.

G

fledgedrallycap
07-25-2003, 11:17 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the save statistic either, but he is the only player ever to have three consecutive years with 40+ saves. So the man obviously has SOME pitching talent. I don't know what his problem is right now - the problem is nobody does.

As Wild Thing Vaughn stated "I can't believe I've forgotten how
to throw heat!"

Let's just hope that he can find his way and help the club down the stretch because at this point they have learned to win without him, and a productive Koch can only help.

kempsted
07-25-2003, 11:36 AM
No matter how good your mental is, if you are a power pitcher who threw over 240 innings in the last 3 years (and 93 last year, averaging 17 pitches/inning), you aren't going to be successful.

Actually it is a common misconception that power pitching is somehow harder on your arm. If you are primarily a fastball pitcher statistically you will have a longer carrer than the curve-ball etc pitcher.E.g. Nolan Ryan. Throwing curve-balls is a much greater strain on the arm than throwing a fastball even though throwing fastballs all night may physically make your more tired.

Gumshoe
07-25-2003, 11:43 AM
While what you are saying is true, you misinterpreted my pointing out that he is a power pitcher. I said that because no matter what kind a pitcher you are, if you throw that many pitches/innings for the time I quoted, you are going to have problems (dead arm). BEING that he IS a power pitcher, he can't rely on a getting guys out with deception/finesse. Therefore, his effectiveness is substantially diminished.

Gumshoe

Irishsox1
07-25-2003, 11:47 AM
Putting him on the DL would be great. Right now Koch is totally useless, unless the Sox are up or down by 8 to 10 runs. Try to figure out what the heck is the problem with the fastball.

Gumshoe
07-25-2003, 12:47 PM
please listen. He wasn't THAT good when he had 98 mph stuff. Now he's TERRIBLE. It's because the workload caught up to him. That is what is wrong.

as a side note, Trevor Hoffman had 40 or more for 4 straight seasons ... i guess that one season with only 40 had your stipulation ...

Gum

gosox41
07-26-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
They can't afford to pitch him in ANY close game.

White Sox, just admit that you traded for a pitcher whose arm is SHOT and put him on the DL to try to get it back!

Idiocy.

Gumshoe

Maybe he has a hip problem. Probably caught it from Konerko.

Bob