PDA

View Full Version : 6 days to trade deadline

gogosoxgogo
07-25-2003, 11:01 AM
With 6 days to the trading deadline, what should we do? I'm stuck in between adding a starting pitcher and a bullpen pitcher. With Koch's ineffectiveness, we are left with Gordon and Marte (both of whom have been terriffic, but they are really being overused as of late). White has been great lately, but I'm not totally convinced about him where we can use him in real tight situations. We clearly need Wunsch to come back soon, but how well will he pitch after coming back from injury (isn't he getting shelled in Charlotte?).

However, I also think we need another starting pitcher. That fifth spot is very scary between Porzio and Wright starting. Yes, its just the fifth spot but that is still 20% of the starts. I know we won't need a fifth starter for the playoffs, but we have to make sure we get there first! If we can get Ponson, I'd do it in a heartbeat (but don't trade Konerko!). If it's just some mediocre fifth starter who will be a minor upgrade from Porzio/Wright, I think we need to go to the bullpen instead (but who do we go after?).

toledosoxfan
07-25-2003, 11:55 AM
I say we run with what we have. Another bullpen arm would be nice but I would not be interested in giving up more minor league prospects for a "journeyman" relief pitcher (lets not pull a Cubbie trade like whathisname for Garland!). If there is a trade, I would rather take on salary $. Wunsch is coming back hopefully sooner rather than later and JM better rest Marte and Gordon more or they will wear down.

voodoochile
07-25-2003, 11:56 AM
I voted starter, because I think they can find some bullpen help with Porzio looking solid as a starter, he should be able to pitch out of the bullpen if needed.

But, if it is too expensive to acquire a starter, then they should go find some more relief pitching soon.

MarqSox
07-25-2003, 11:58 AM
I agree with the results of this poll -- that is, we need another pitcher, be it in the pen or the rotation.

I just think it's quite interesting that the one thing that has consistently carried us this season -- pitching -- is the thing we're most eager to fix.

jcw218
07-25-2003, 01:31 PM
You can never have too much good pitching. Good pitching almost always beats good hitting.

Lets be realistic here though. While I would like to see additional help for the pitching ranks, what will it cost to get that help and who is available for the price that we (the Sox) are willing to spend?

kempsted
07-25-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by jcw218
You can never have too much good pitching. Good pitching almost always beats good hitting.

Except of course when good hitting beats good pitching :smile:

Actually I think that I have always misread this saying. I always took it to mean the obviously false statement that the team with the better pitching wins. This is obviously not true as can be seen by the Sox season this year. I guess what it really means is that the great pitching will beat the hitting but you may still lose the game because your team isn't hitting. So I guess that is an argument for getting another hitter :D:

But seriously I would think help in the bullpen would be our top choice.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-25-2003, 01:49 PM
Since the beginning of recorded time, you can NEVER have enough pitching. :smile:

It is really very simple. With the relatively small exception of catcher, pitching is the only position that REQUIRES multiple players to complete the task, day after day and week after week. Upgrading your pitching staff--ANY pitching staff--bumps the weakest pitcher off the staff and improves your ballclub's performance.

Remember--the object of the game is to score more runs than the opposition. Improved pitching is the surest way to accomplish this goal. I suppose that is the reason why quality pitching is so over-priced. Of course I'm not the one paying for it, so let's spend like the Yankees!

:gulp:

jcw218
07-25-2003, 01:54 PM
Yes, you have to hit to be able to win. The better your pitching is the less you have to rely on your hitting to win the game. You still have to do a better job than your opponent does at first getting baserunners on then driving them home. If you cannot score, you cannot win.