PDA

View Full Version : Can the Sox draw 2 mill?

gosox41
07-25-2003, 10:33 AM
Through 51 home games the Sox have drawn just under 1.1 mill. 31 home dates left and they need to average about 30K a game to reach the magical 2 mill. mark. Anyone think they will do it?

It can't hurt the media coverage of the team (anyone remember Gammons saying the Sox should be contracted) and will send a message to JR that if the team wins the fans will come.

Hopefully it'll happen. I'm sick of being the laughingstock of the AL, third to last in attendence even though we're in a big market. It's embarassing. If the team keeps winning, I think they can do it even though attendence dips after Labor Day.

Bob

FJA
07-25-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
Through 51 home games the Sox have drawn just under 1.1 mill. 31 home dates left and they need to average about 30K a game to reach the magical 2 mill. mark. Anyone think they will do it?

It can't hurt the media coverage of the team (anyone remember Gammons saying the Sox should be contracted) and will send a message to JR that if the team wins the fans will come.

Hopefully it'll happen. I'm sick of being the laughingstock of the AL, third to last in attendence even though we're in a big market. It's embarassing. If the team keeps winning, I think they can do it even though attendence dips after Labor Day.

Bob

It's going to take a hell of a lot of winning to get us up to 2 mil ... however, with the press that will surround Frank's 400th, a summer that's producing comfortable temperatures and very important series coming up, I think there's an outside chance.

mandmandm
07-25-2003, 10:38 AM
Coming on strong in the second half should help compared to 2000 when the division was wrapped up by July. Hopefully the rest of the home games this year will mean something.

hold2dibber
07-25-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by gosox41

Bob

I don't think they'll be able to average 30K per game unless they REALLY catch fire. Frankly, with the schedule being so tough down the stretch, I think they're going to struggle a bit (although I think it will only take about 85 games to win the division, which they might be able to pull off). I think 1.8 is a more realistic goal - if they average 25,000/game from here on out, they get to 1.85.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-25-2003, 12:52 PM
I seriously doubt the Sox will come within even sniffing distance of 2 million paid attendance this year. We aren't averaging 30,000 so far and, even if a pennant race stoked extra interest in the remaining games, many of the remaining dates fall in September when kids return to school and overall attendance tends to drop.

Don't be too disappointed. As we've discussed many times here, the real driving force behind annual attendance is season ticket sales, not walk ups. Season tickets are nearly all sold in the winter and early spring. Thus the effect of a really good 2003 season isn't felt at the box office until the FOLLOWING season, 2004.

Of course the 2004 Sox won't have the added sales incentive of hosting next year's all-star game, so it is very possible season ticket sales could actually fall between now and opening day next spring.

Thus the only sure-fire way to grow annual attendance remains the same as it ever was:

#1. Field a successful championship-caliber team several years in a row. (The Sox fail to do this.)

#2. Encourage lots of season ticket sales and partial season ticket sales. (The Sox spend far more time gearing up for walk up sales.)

#3. Get the Cubs to leave town and monopolize the Chicago market. (The Sox and we fans complain about local media coverage which only reinforces our second-class status and does nothing but make the Cubs more secure as the primary club in town.)

Okay, now it is okay to be disappointed. :smile:

Lip Man 1
07-25-2003, 01:07 PM
I don't think it's possible to draw two million, it's too late in the season.

There's always a samll chance of course but the Sox would have to go on a late run a la the 1983 club and I don't think they'll do that.

Lip

Mammoo
07-25-2003, 03:38 PM
But only if they make a serious run at it which means get into first place and never fall more than a game behind!

TornLabrum
07-25-2003, 04:41 PM
The Sox blew their chance at 2 million with the lousy April and May they had this year.