PDA

View Full Version : In defense of 'tinkering'

jortafan
07-24-2003, 09:49 PM
It appears Teddy Greenstein is not as critical as many of us are when it comes to our beloved manager's "tinkering" with the lineup.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/askthewriter/cs-030724teddygreensteinanswers,1,7965562.story?coll= cs-home-headlines

Check out the fourth from the last letter, and Greenstein's response.

Of course, his response to the person who complained about the Red Sox being referred to as the Sox also was revealing. All I can say is I miss Sullivan.

RKMeibalane
07-24-2003, 09:58 PM
Teddy, it appeared to me that you were at least somewhat supportive of Manuel by a question you recently answered about him. While I agree some blame must be placed upon the players when talented teams like the Sox are struggling, Manuel's habit of "tinkering" with the ballclub is becoming ridiculous. There is a line between keeping players from going stale on the bench and "tinkering" to the point where players can't keep in rhythm because of constant days off. Manuel far surpasses that line. What do you think about things Manuel does such as the "tinkering" and do you think the Sox need someone other than Manuel to manage the team? -- Ryan Jones, Chicago

By "tinkering," I guess you're referring to his penchant for altering the lineup from one day to the next. Manuel doesn't do this on a whim. He tries to get the best matchups on that day and keep his reserves fresh. Here's an example: I heard Manuel getting ripped on the radio the other day for not playing Alomar and Everett in the final game before the All-Star break. Instead, Manuel started Tony Graffanino at second and Aaron Rowand at center. Graffanino hit the game-winning, three-run homer and Rowand went 3-for-5 and threw a runner out at the plate. If that's what you call "tinkering," I'd imagine you didn't have a problem with it on that day.

How anyone can defend Manuel's tinkering is beyond me. Greenstein is a tool. If he honestly believes that JM is justified in screwing around with the lineup every day, he's out of his mind. The Sox have been winning in spite of the tinkering, not because of it. Good grief! The Chicago media need to get a clue.

RKMeibalane
07-24-2003, 10:01 PM
One of the writers used that damn troll nickname to describe Frank Thomas. I wonder if that was actually NUKE_CLEVELAND who wrote the email.

Daver
07-24-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
One of the writers used that damn troll nickname to describe Frank Thomas. I wonder if that was actually NUKE_CLEVELAND who wrote the email.

NUKE is in the Middle East,fighting for our country.

RKMeibalane
07-24-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by daver
NUKE is in the Middle East,fighting for our country.

I'm aware of that. I posted a few days ago about him being in the army.

FJA
07-24-2003, 10:19 PM
Let me just say I hate Teddy Greenstein. Remember, he's the one who published the BS about us killing the ivy last year. Not only did he publish it, but if you can remember, his tone seemed to wholeheartedly agree that Sox fans did, indeed, kill the ivy.

RKMeibalane
07-24-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by FJA
Let me just say I hate Teddy Greenstein. Remember, he's the one who published the BS about us killing the ivy last year. Not only did he publish it, but if you can remember, his tone seemed to wholeheartedly agree that Sox fans did, indeed, kill the ivy.

Did they ever find out what happened? I just assumed that some drunken Cubs fan pissed all over the place.