PDA

View Full Version : Marte has been great...

jabrch
07-24-2003, 06:52 PM
vs Lefties. I have watched him the past few outings and lefties can't touch him. I like having him there to pitch either the 8th OR the 9th when an order is heavily left handed.

I give Jerry M credit. On Tuesday, Marte came in to get the last out of the 8th vs a lefty and JM kept Marte in to face the last three hitters because 2 of 3 were lefites. Then again last night JM brings Marte in with 1 out to pitch to Cattlalanotto and Marte made him look bad, bouncing into the DP.

As much as I dont like JM with how he handles the lineup, he seems to handle the RPs pretty well. Imagine if we only had an effective Koch so that Gordon could be a right handed setup guy and that Marte could get lefties...

In any case, I like Flash and Marte teaming up to close games. They do a good job.

(Send Koch to Birmingham....)

fquaye149
07-24-2003, 07:34 PM
doesn't marte only have 7 conversion on 14 save chances? i know he's pitched well, but that dont' look too good

voodoochile
07-24-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
doesn't marte only have 7 conversion on 14 save chances? i know he's pitched well, but that dont' look too good

Those aren't all true save situations. They are from when he blew a lead in the 7th or something. It still goes as a blown save. Look around the league. Lots of relievers have terrible save/blown save ratios except for the closers...

jabrch
07-24-2003, 11:46 PM
Most of his BS are BullS.... They are 7th inning leads or something. Also most came before June. Since June 5, Marte only has 3 blown saves in about 30 IP. Of his 3 blown saves, we only lost two of the games. More importantly he has gotten some tough outs against good left handed hitters. I like Flash, but I am a big Marte fan when used in the right situations.

Konerkoholic
07-25-2003, 12:36 AM
Marte is sooo damn confident out there he gives me chills. How many guys go after Wells and Delgado and act like it's nothing? The only thing that worries me about Damaso is overuse. Sooner or later Billy Koch will have to get into a close game because Marte and Gordon can't realistically go out there everyday. Hopefully White and Glover can do the job.

WinningUgly!
07-25-2003, 12:58 AM
After Loaiza, Marte is our 2003 MVP.

southpaw40
07-25-2003, 08:18 AM
Love those hard throwing lefties! I don't know why, but there aren't too many of them around, and I think we're lucky to have Marte. If I recall correctly, I have seen him in the mid 90's, which is considerably above average for a lefty!

bobj4400
07-25-2003, 08:40 AM
Getting Marte has to be considered KW's best move as a GM. Is it a case of a blind squirrel finding a nut, or did KW pull the wool over someone else's eyes for once?

toledosoxfan
07-25-2003, 09:04 AM
I agree. Every time I have seen Damaso on the mound, the tension of the situation plumets to almost nothing. I can't say that about many reliefers.

hold2dibber
07-25-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
Getting Marte has to be considered KW's best move as a GM. Is it a case of a blind squirrel finding a nut, or did KW pull the wool over someone else's eyes for once?

I don't know if it was KW himself or a Sox scout that convinced him to make the deal, but it was an awfully good one. Guerrier's stock was at an all time high - he had won 17 or 18 games in AAA the prior year. And KW used that fact to get his hands on Marte (and Ruddy Yan). A really great trade.

harwar
07-25-2003, 09:11 AM
Man - 0 - Manischewitz but its nice to have Gordon and Marte.They seem to get better and better as the season wears on.I think another great arm out of the bullpen is what is needed down the stretch(& playoffs?).Rick White has been much better as of late but we need another really good right-hander to go along with Marte & Wunch(coming back Sat.maybe?) and Gordon.I just hope Manuel knows how to use them properly.