PDA

View Full Version : Rick White on Mac, Jurko, Harry

gogosoxgogo
07-24-2003, 05:45 PM
On Mac, Jurko and Harry today, Rick White gave great hints that the players hate Manuel's tinkering. When asked how the players respond to being put into a different role (ie. spot in batting order), White said it messed with their minds. He also said that out of the bullpen, he has no idea what his role is going to be on a day to day basis. Also said that players should be getting more regular playing time to keep them fresh and Manuel needs to stop the tinkering. Great interview if anyone else heard it. As Mac said, it was great to hear someone from the Sox that had an opinion when being interviewed.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-24-2003, 07:02 PM
I caught the interview as well. White also mentioned that if the Sox win tonight, KW is supposed to shave his head.

Can anybody make that a visual possibility here? *hint* *hint*

Gumshoe
07-24-2003, 07:52 PM
I can try it when I get home ... but I have to find a good picture of KW first ... should be doable.

I'll try to post it later tonight.

Gumshoe

Brian26
07-24-2003, 09:58 PM
"Who you lookin' at, bitches"

VeeckAsInWreck
07-25-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
"Who you lookin' at, bitches"

KW now looks like the long lost member of "Right Said Fred"

MHOUSE
07-25-2003, 12:40 AM
Rick had a great interview. He actually said what he felt and avoided all the cliches and such. He went after Jerry without being a really a-hole or anything. He seems like a good enough guy and he's been pitching well lately. But it's not like it's not obvious that Jerry doesn't know what he's doing. At least someone on the team will say it.

gosox41
07-25-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
On Mac, Jurko and Harry today, Rick White gave great hints that the players hate Manuel's tinkering. When asked how the players respond to being put into a different role (ie. spot in batting order), White said it messed with their minds. He also said that out of the bullpen, he has no idea what his role is going to be on a day to day basis. Also said that players should be getting more regular playing time to keep them fresh and Manuel needs to stop the tinkering. Great interview if anyone else heard it. As Mac said, it was great to hear someone from the Sox that had an opinion when being interviewed.

It is interesting that a reliever complained about the constant tinkering of the line up. As for the roles of the bullpen, I think it's a lot easier for a reliever to not have a role. What differnce does it make if you come in with 2 on and 0 out in the 7th or 8th inning. As long as he's not pitching these guys more innings then their capable of, it's fine by me. Just get outs. Hitting involves more timing and guys need to play regularly to get into a rhythm. So do relievers, but it shouldn't matter when exactly they pitch, just get people out. Also, keep in mind that whatever bullpen roles that Manuel wants defined have been messed up by Koch's ineffectiveness.

I didn't hear the interview, but from what I read it sounds like White is complaining of the tinkering and then complaining about players getting more regular playing time so they can't get rusty. Which is it? One thing about Manuel's tinkering is he is getting everyone involved, some much more then necessary. If he wants a set line up then odds are some guys are going to get rusty and not play.

Bob

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-25-2003, 01:03 AM
i like that rick white is not afraid to speak his mind atleast.

voodoochile
07-25-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I didn't hear the interview, but from what I read it sounds like White is complaining of the tinkering and then complaining about players getting more regular playing time so they can't get rusty. Which is it? One thing about Manuel's tinkering is he is getting everyone involved, some much more then necessary. If he wants a set line up then odds are some guys are going to get rusty and not play.

Bob

Oh No... A rusty Aaron Rowand, what WILL we do? :D:

Is anyone surprised that since the team has essentially gone with a set lineup after the ASB, they are playing much better?

I mean take out the catcher platoon and the rest of the guys have played every day, except for one change a day with a hot hitting Tony G facing LH pitching. Yeah, the Carlos in the 2-hole gets a bit old, but so far it isn't killing the team and the guys are starting to hit. At least Manuel hasn't done a Rowand, Harris, Tony G, Daubach at DH lineup recently, so that is a major improvement...

Alomar and Everett are turning into HUGE additions as most people thought they would and Manuel is actually playing them regularly now and the team is starting to hit. Shocking...