PDA

View Full Version : Improving The Catching Situation

joecrede
07-24-2003, 04:28 PM
With Olivo struggling, I wonder if the Sox have any plans to give Mike Rivera a shot. He's .355/.421/.570 in 107 AB's at Charlotte. I remember him having a decent defensive rep when he was with the Tigers too. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to put Olivo on the DL with "elbow tendonitis" or something and give Rivera a shot.

fledgedrallycap
07-24-2003, 04:45 PM
Check, Olivo is struggling at the plate, not behind the dish where you want a controlled, strong armed catcher - which Olivo is. When is the last time the Sox have had a smaller team ERA than what they have as of today? He is a young man with a ton of potential who is calling good games. Plus, he can hit; about a month and a half ago he was a .260 hitter. Let's not make changes just to make them. He has done what is asked and that is to play defense and get some key hits.

joecrede
07-24-2003, 05:01 PM
In a year or two I think Olivo will be a solid hitter, but he isn't right now. Why not see if Rivera can provide some production at the bottom of the order? With all due respect to Olivo's game calling abillities, I don't think the Sox team ERA would suffer much from a stint on the DL.

fledgedrallycap
07-24-2003, 05:06 PM
I don't know much about this other kid and I really don't think the Sox will do that - nor do they tend to create fuzzy injuries. Alomar can still hit effectively, and it just seems as though the Sox are really banking on Olivo being the catcher of the future. I like Miguel, he has a great attitude and as long as everyone else in this line up produced like they should, you can be patient with Olivo and Crede because they sure up the field defensively. I wouldn't change a thing.

jcw218
07-24-2003, 05:13 PM
From the Daily Southtown
"I have to be more disciplined," said Olivo, who had a .306 batting average and 40 extra-base hits for Double-A Birmingham last season. "I look for a fastball, so they throw me a breaking ball a lot. Everything they throw is outside. Now I work on the pitch there. Once I hit the breaking ball, I'll be OK."

Miguel will be good. He just has to make the adjustments to the major leagues. he said it himself.

SaltyPretzel
07-24-2003, 05:13 PM
Have we all forgotten about Ron Karkovice? I'm trying really hard.

Anyway, I think that Olivo has a much better upside than he ever did. Give him time.

jabrch
07-24-2003, 05:15 PM
Our offense shouldn't be the problem with the bats we have 1 - 7...I can deal with Olivo cuz he plays very good defense.

brewcrew/chisox
07-24-2003, 05:21 PM
Olivo was brought in for D, anything else is bonus.

Speaking of D, how about Sandy with the catch and tag at the plate yesterday, Damn that was good. :)

Daver
07-24-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
He is a young man with a ton of potential who is calling good games.

For the most part Joe Nosseck calls the game for Miguel,unless Bartolo is pitching.

MarkEdward
07-24-2003, 07:05 PM
Get Ramon Castro!

jabrch
07-24-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by brewcrew/chisox
Olivo was brought in for D, anything else is bonus.

Speaking of D, how about Sandy with the catch and tag at the plate yesterday, Damn that was good. :)

Nothing beats a great play at the plate and Sandy is as good as any at blocking out the dish. He is a good influence on Miguel. If we make any moves, C is not where I want to do it. Get me Ponson or another right handed RP.