PDA

View Full Version : Status of Wright

Irishsox1
07-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Any news on Danny Wright?.....Are the Sox thinking of turning him into a closer? What's going on with him?

delben91
07-24-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Any news on Danny Wright?.....Are the Sox thinking of turning him into a closer? What's going on with him?

As far as I know, he's struggling down in AAA Charlotte with no "immediate" plans to be called back up. This leaves us for the moment with the wonder that is Mike Porzio as a 5th starter. He's fared decently so far, but I'd really like to see the Sox go get somebody slightly more passable for that spot (Ponson? or more feasible...Suppan?)

gosox41
07-24-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by delben91
As far as I know, he's struggling down in AAA Charlotte with no "immediate" plans to be called back up. This leaves us for the moment with the wonder that is Mike Porzio as a 5th starter. He's fared decently so far, but I'd really like to see the Sox go get somebody slightly more passable for that spot (Ponson? or more feasible...Suppan?)

I agree. Having Mike Porzio as the 5th starter makes me very nervous. He's definitely nothing more then a finesse journeyman. Maybe try Rauch afte a couple of more starts. He just came off the DL and let him shake off the rust. He should have more upside then Porzio. But I'm all for the Sox making a trade.

Bob

kempsted
07-24-2003, 09:52 AM
The interesting thing is that Wright was FAR better than the number 5 pitcher on the north side of town but we all know the Cubs have great starting pitching ; )

hold2dibber
07-24-2003, 10:09 AM
I think Porzio is probably about average among 5th starters. But the Sox could do better. I wouldn't mind Suppan. He's having a career year (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5454&context=pitching), and he's cheap (making $500,000 this year). But he's gone at the end of the year, and he's not exactly Roger Clemens, so I wouldn't give up more than a B level prospect (or less) for him.

WWIII
07-24-2003, 10:10 AM
I still say get Weaver. You know the guy's got it in him to be a great pitcher, he just needs to get out of New York. Just like I think Koch can be a good closer again, but not in Chicago. Swap?

voodoochile
07-24-2003, 11:16 AM
The Sox definitely need to acquire another pitcher. Hopefully Porzio can help in the bullpen once they find a fifth starter, but whether KW will actually do it or not, I have no idea. It would be so Reinsdorfian to try and do it on the cheap. Matt Ginter anybody?

I think this last setback for Wright may be the final straw for him. He has always been mentally fragile. I think he has lost it and don't know if he has the fortitude to get it back. Too bad...

delben91
07-24-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I think this last setback for Wright may be the final straw for him. He has always been mentally fragile. I think he has lost it and don't know if he has the fortitude to get it back. Too bad...

Who's the pitching coach at Charlotte? Is it still Kirk Champion? Or is he now the "head pitching guru for all the Sox minor leagues"?

Kirk has had a lot of success turning pitchers around who struggled with the big club. Countless times Kip Wells and Jon Garland would struggle with the Sox, only to be sent to AAA and have Champion get their heads (and mechanics) straightened out.

This latest trouble with Wright hurts him, probably a lot, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to say he's done.

hold2dibber
07-24-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by WWIII
I still say get Weaver. You know the guy's got it in him to be a great pitcher, he just needs to get out of New York. Just like I think Koch can be a good closer again, but not in Chicago. Swap?

But Koch has 1 year at about $6 mm left on his contract, whereas Weaver has 2 years at a total of about $15 mm left on his contract. I wouldn't want any part of Weaver unless the Yankees either ate the difference, or gave the Sox Nick Johnson, too.

Clembasbal
07-24-2003, 12:29 PM
I do not think that we need a 5th started, to go out and get somebody that we will pay big for (probably a couple good minor leaguers).

The reason is, you do not need a 5th starter in the playoffs and from 8/1 on, the 5th starter will only get 10 starts tops...enough to win the AL Central but not good enough if we are going to lose the guy with Alomar, Everett, Colon, and posibbly Thomas.

Stick with what we have, and go with Cotts, Cooper, Kohlmeier (who has had a lot of previous majopr league experiance), or Pacheco.

Bringing up a guy late in the playoff run is what good teams have always done...and the A's have just done it again with Rich Harden.

Fisk72
07-24-2003, 12:46 PM
I really don't see why there are some people so high on Weaver. I'd take Garland over him in a heartbeat. IMO, he's one of the most overrated pitchers out there. Plus, if the Yankees don't want him, don't you think there's a reason why?

lowesox
07-24-2003, 03:07 PM
I think Porzio has pitched well, so let's stick with him for now. The real question mark for me right now is David Sanders and for that matter Gary Glover. I think Glover is good, but JM never uses him.

I say when Wunsch is ready, we demote Glover and Sanders and bring up Wunsch and Ginter. I think that would make for a stronger pen.

TheRockinMT
07-24-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
I really don't see why there are some people so high on Weaver. I'd take Garland over him in a heartbeat. IMO, he's one of the most overrated pitchers out there. Plus, if the Yankees don't want him, don't you think there's a reason why?

The Yankees paid Weaver way too much when they got him from Detroit. The Yanks see him now as not making it with their team and only a decent 4th-5th pitcher with another team. Maybe so, but not at the salary he's getting now. Steinbrenner does this all the time. He pays inflated salaries and then every player thinks they should get more from the teams they negotiate contract. Now the only way teams can get a player is to take on hefty contracts. The madness must stop.

Daver
07-24-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by delben91
Who's the pitching coach at Charlotte? Is it still Kirk Champion? Or is he now the "head pitching guru for all the Sox minor leagues"?

Curt Hasler is the pitching coach in Charlotte,and you are correct on Kirk Champion's position.

doublem23
07-24-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I think Porzio has pitched well, so let's stick with him for now. The real question mark for me right now is David Sanders and for that matter Gary Glover. I think Glover is good, but JM never uses him.

I say when Wunsch is ready, we demote Glover and Sanders and bring up Wunsch and Ginter. I think that would make for a stronger pen.

I agree that Porzio has been pitching well recently, but no way does he keep this up for the remainder of the year. That's why we got to get someone now; before he comes back to reality.

voodoochile
07-24-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I agree that Porzio has been pitching well recently, but no way does he keep this up for the remainder of the year. That's why we got to get someone now; before he comes back to reality.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in the pen if he can continue to throw strikes and keep the ball down.