PDA

View Full Version : Good Article on Olivo

fledgedrallycap
07-24-2003, 08:51 AM
Here is a link to a nice article on Olivo. I have to agree with what was written, he's struggled at the plate at times, but also shown some very good positives offensively. However, for a young man to handle a pitching staff like he has this year and with a cannon for an arm which will shut another team's base-stealers down, it's nice to know we have a solid catcher behind the plate for the next serveral years.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/241sd2.htm

delben91
07-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
Here is a link to a nice article on Olivo. I have to agree with what was written, he's struggled at the plate at times, but also shown some very good positives offensively. However, for a young man to handle a pitching staff like he has this year and with a cannon for an arm which will shut another team's base-stealers down, it's nice to know we have a solid catcher behind the plate for the next serveral years.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/241sd2.htm

I just read that too. I think Olivo has all the tools to be great. And despite being injured as he is every year, and not having much left in his bat, from the sounds of it, Sandy Alomar has been invaluable to the Sox this year, merely as a mentor to Miguel.

Perhaps a spot as our minor league catching instructor is a possiblity for Sandy when his contract is up (after this season?). From the sounds of it, he'd be great for the position.

fledgedrallycap
07-24-2003, 09:40 AM
I think Sandy can still play one more year for the Sox because Olivo will get more and more playing time with improvement (figure next year, you expect Olivo to catch 5 games/week). He does posses a lot of good qualities for a coach and it wouldn't surprise me to see him on a bench managing in ten years - hopefully the White Sox brass recognize that and act like you said, get him some experience down in the minors and bring him up one day. It is my humble opinion that ex-catchers make the best managers.