PDA

View Full Version : Billy Koch = No Sense of Reality

ssang
07-24-2003, 07:13 AM
Here is a lil' something I found in the Trib this morning. How can Koch continue to make such asinine comments. He should keep his pathetic mouth shout. I hate this guy!

Billy Koch is determined to win back his job as the White Sox's closer.

"I expect to get it back," he said before enduring another rough outing Wednesday night in the Sox's 7-6 victory over Toronto. "I don't know where they sit with that. But as far as I'm concerned, it's still my job."

"I've gotten away from my game," Koch said. "Yeah, I'm not throwing 98, but I'm still throwing hard enough to get fastballs by guys

MarqSox
07-24-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by ssang
"I expect to get it back," he said before enduring another rough outing Wednesday night in the Sox's 7-6 victory over Toronto. "I don't know where they sit with that. But as far as I'm concerned, it's still my job."

I'd rather have overconfidence than what we had with Foulke last year, which was basically "They should take me out because I suck." Foulke's feelings may have been more accurate than Koch's, but a guy has to believe he can succeed -- even if he can't.

adsit
07-24-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I'd rather have overconfidence than what we had with Foulke last year, which was basically "They should take me out because I suck." Foulke's feelings may have been more accurate than Koch's, but a guy has to believe he can succeed -- even if he can't.

I remember when Foulke was saying those things last year and thinking, well, that's it for '02. You're absolutely right... you want competitors who pitch a fit every time someone makes a trip to the mound. Botch should be full of hot air... but he shouldn't be throwing anything at an opponent whom we do not lead by at least five runs, regardless.

Dave

gosox41
07-24-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by ssang

"I've gotten away from my game," Koch said. "Yeah, I'm not throwing 98, but I'm still throwing hard enough to get fastballs by guys

Evidently not, unless you want to blow your fastball by AA hitters.

Bob

Hangar18
07-24-2003, 09:57 AM
he almost cost us yesterdays game. He NEVER SHOULD BE COMING IN .....esp in CLOSE SITUATIONS LIKE THAT

A.T. Money
07-24-2003, 10:09 AM
I kinda feel sorry for him. He's had a horrific year, and he's never pouted or been a crybaby. He's been a good team player.

This guy's career depends on the fastball, and it's not there. He's obviously frustrated with himself. I just feel bad for him because it's a mystery.

gosox41
07-24-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
I kinda feel sorry for him. He's had a horrific year, and he's never pouted or been a crybaby. He's been a good team player.

This guy's career depends on the fastball, and it's not there. He's obviously frustrated with himself. I just feel bad for him because it's a mystery.

I solved this mystery the day the Sox traded for him. Its caled "Bobby Thigpenitis." It's what happens to a hard throwing, one pitch reliever who is way overused in a season and then has a dramatic decline in numbers.

Can this be added to the WSI glossary??

Bob

brewcrew/chisox
07-24-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by SoxDemon

This is a good point. He hasn't complained about his role, except to say that he wants to win it back. I admire his confidence, and it tells me that he is probably working hard with his mechanics in order to get his old form back. That being said, the strike zone seems to be moving all over the place for the guy; he is then falling behind batters and invariably grooving pitches to hitters on 3-1 counts.

That being said, his fastball was reading consistantly at around 93-94 miles an hour last night. At one point it did read 96 (Granted, well outside). Is this the result of an overgenerous radar gun by Fox, or is Kotch getting some of his velocity back? Something tells me it's the former, since Gordon's fastball, according to the same radar gun, was reaching up to 98 miles an hour and Reichrt's slider, at times was registering in the low 90's. I really don't think they were throwing that hard.

voodoochile
07-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by brewcrew/chisox
This is a good point. He hasn't complained about his role, except to say that he wants to win it back. I admire his confidence, and it tells me that he is probably working hard with his mechanics in order to get his old form back. That being said, the strike zone seems to be moving all over the place for the guy; he is then falling behind batters and invariably grooving pitches to hitters on 3-1 counts.

That being said, his fastball was reading consistantly at around 93-94 miles an hour last night. At one point it did read 96 (Granted, well outside). Is this the result of an overgenerous radar gun by Fox, or is Kotch getting some of his velocity back? Something tells me it's the former, since Gordon's fastball, according to the same radar gun, was reaching up to 98 miles an hour and Reichrt's slider, at times was registering in the low 90's. I really don't think they were throwing that hard.

Yeah the gun was off last night. They clocked Buehrle at 94 a couple of time. I think it was 3-4 MPH fast.

bobj4400
07-24-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Yeah the gun was off last night. They clocked Buehrle at 94 a couple of time. I think it was 3-4 MPH fast.

The pitch from Buehrle that was clocked at 94 was the first pitch after he hung the curve to Vernon Wells for a homerun. It is conceivable that he threw it that hard out of frustration, and the gun wasnt really off.

voodoochile
07-24-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
The pitch from Buehrle that was clocked at 94 was the first pitch after he hung the curve to Vernon Wells for a homerun. It is conceivable that he threw it that hard out of frustration, and the gun wasnt really off.

I don't think so. I haven't seen him hit that speed all year. Maybe, but I doubt it. Of course maybe Koch really has regained his speed and Gordon has put even more speed on his fastball. The evidence doesn't look good...

bobj4400
07-24-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I don't think so. I haven't seen him hit that speed all year. Maybe, but I doubt it. Of course maybe Koch really has regained his speed and Gordon has put even more speed on his fastball. The evidence doesn't look good...

I definitely agree with you that Koch hasnt regained any speed. The last pitch he threw was a chest high fastball to Woodward that was pulled into the corner for double. I dont think a hitter of Woodward's caliber is pulling anything chest high from Billy Koch last year.

bobj4400
07-24-2003, 12:00 PM
Does last night qualify to be added to Billy's Official Really Bad Games Count? If it does, I think it brings his total to 9 for the year...