PDA

View Full Version : This And That

Lip Man 1
07-24-2003, 12:08 AM
Two things.....

Has anybody noticed that the Sox are now closer to first place in their division then the Cubs are? (and I think they also have a better winning percentage, not that either club has anything to write home about)

And with eight days to go before the trade deadline and with the Sox needing another starting pitcher (it certainly isn't going to work for Porzio and Dan I Can't Pitch Wright), may I go back to the future and suggest the same guy I did this past winter...

JEFF SUPPAN!

He's had a fine year for a bad Pirate club and it wouldn't cost a fortune to get him (unlike Sidney Ponson). Pittsburgh is having a fire sale and he'd be a good guy to have (especially with so many games against the Royals whom he used to pitch for...)

Just a thought...

Lip

MHOUSE
07-24-2003, 12:15 AM
I thought we should have gone after Byrd or Suppan this offseason as well. Imagine if KC had them both still? I also hear that Trachsel of the Mets is available, rumoured to be in St. Louis' plans. Getting Suppan would be a big upgrade in the #4-5 spot of the rotation IMO. Ponson would cost a lot to resign and I think Baltimore will keep him anyways. Suppan might not cost 3 prospects either.

Loaiza
Buehrle
Colon
Garland
Suppan

Dan "I can't pitch Wright" GREAT nickname Lip! LMAO!

A.T. Money
07-24-2003, 12:17 AM
Not a bad idea. It depends mainly on what we do tomorrow and this weekend. If we can win the next 4, Hawk shaves the melon, and you just never know.....on Tuesday we go to KC. Kenny may have to blast here.

gosox41
07-24-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Two things.....

Has anybody noticed that the Sox are now closer to first place in their division then the Cubs are? (and I think they also have a better winning percentage, not that either club has anything to write home about)

And with eight days to go before the trade deadline and with the Sox needing another starting pitcher (it certainly isn't going to work for Porzio and Dan I Can't Pitch Wright), may I go back to the future and suggest the same guy I did this past winter...

JEFF SUPPAN!

He's had a fine year for a bad Pirate club and it wouldn't cost a fortune to get him (unlike Sidney Ponson). Pittsburgh is having a fire sale and he'd be a good guy to have (especially with so many games against the Royals whom he used to pitch for...)

Just a thought...

Lip

Suppan would be a decent addition but if there's any chance the Sox can trade Konerko for Ponson, I'd do that just to get rid of Konerko's contract.

Also, I think the Sox need another good arm out of the bullpen. Hopefully Wunsch comes back soon, but the still need someone else. In my dream world, Koch would then be traded/released for whoever the new guy is.

Bob

delben91
07-24-2003, 06:50 AM
I remember you hyping, or perhaps more accurately, lobbying for Suppan all winter Lip. I also remember being skeptical and saying we didn't need another "average" pitcher. Well, I know enough to know I was wrong, let's get Suppan over here, he could do a lot of good for the Sox.

npdempse
07-24-2003, 11:46 AM
While I'd love Suppan, I worry that the Kendall string will be attached to any deal that involves him.

Hangar18
07-24-2003, 12:27 PM
Do you think we can Trade New Comiskey to them and cash...
For PNC PARK? that would be an awesome trade....

xil357
07-24-2003, 12:44 PM
Two things.....

JEFF SUPPAN!

Yes, Lip, I too noticed that. Hey, we actually agree on something in the media!

I'm for any trade that improves the Sox chances this year without mortgaging the future. Adding pitching is always a plus, especially given his previous AL experience.

I don't think the Twinks are done but leapfrogging them in the standings is a plus. The Sox just need to worry about doing everything they can to WIN GAMES and the division will take care of itself. The Sox have underachieved for the entire season with their bats, almost to a man, hitting well below their career averages. The law of averages says they will continue their recent hitting through the rest of the season. The law of averages also says that the pitching may not perform as well as it has, so adding to the rotation / bullpen is the way to go and Suppan could be a good addition.

BTW, last nights win was HUGE! (Sorry, I've been spending too much of my WSI time over in the Parking Lot)!

Lip Man 1
07-24-2003, 01:02 PM
Kendell's contract has been reported to be attached to any club wanting brian Giles. The Padres are very interested in him.

Like I said Suppan shouldn't cost much and with the 5th starter getting about ten more starts this season and with the Sox already five games back, they don't have the time to "hope" that Porzio and or Wright can be effective.

When you only have 61 games left, you don't have anymore room for error.

Lip

Tragg
07-24-2003, 01:27 PM

JEFF SUPPAN!

Just a thought...

Lip

The Sox do not need another starting pitcher. Our top 4 have been solid and our fifth starter has pitched well enough for a fifth starter. We are going to be bidding against teams like the cardinals who have NO starters, which means we will have to way overpay. And once in the playoffs, fifth starters move to the bullpen anyway, which is where Wright should be right now.

Foulke You
07-24-2003, 01:28 PM
Suppan would indeed be a nice addition. There aren't going to be any lights out pitchers on the block and if there are, you'll have to mortgage the farm to get them. Suppan is a solid dependable veteran and he has AL Central experience so he knows our division well. Anyone remember the Tim Belcher deal back in '93? A veteran guy brought in to be the #5 starter. Suppan could be the Belcher trade for '03.