PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing Buehrle Outing

Mammoo
07-23-2003, 11:07 PM
This was a big game for the Sox and kudos to them for coming back the way they did :gulp: . The team needed a big effort from MB but he spit the bit. :(:

Big time pitchers win big games. MB must learn that.

hose
07-23-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
This was a big game for the Sox and kudos to them for coming back the way they did :gulp: . The team needed a big effort from MB but he spit the bit. :(:

I was hoping Buehrle could get through the 7th . I also was disappointed that Mark couldn't slam the door , but Toronto does have some very good hitters.

Kielty seems to have Mark's number. Wasn't that double in the 7th on a 2 strike count with Kielty just trying to protect?

The win was still huge.

VaSoxfan
07-23-2003, 11:19 PM
Come on, cut the guy some slack. He has given us a nice run of games lately, he was due to be a little bit off. I didn't think we'd win with Halladay out there for the Jays anyway....and Buerhle didn't allow a hit until the 4th.

It was sloppy but I'll take it...and Toronto has some guys that can hit too...

FJA
07-23-2003, 11:22 PM
It still kills me that Buerhle and Colon don't both have wins in the same trip through the rotation.

Daver
07-23-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by FJA
It still kills me that Buerhle and Colon don't both have wins in the same trip through the rotation.

They do,not counting tonite they both won their last outing,in case you missed it Bartolo got the win against the Wahoo's on Tuesday,and going into tonite Mark had won his last six.

voodoochile
07-23-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by VaSoxfan
Come on, cut the guy some slack. He has given us a nice run of games lately, he was due to be a little bit off. I didn't think we'd win with Halladay out there for the Jays anyway....and Buerhle didn't allow a hit until the 4th.

It was sloppy but I'll take it...and Toronto has some guys that can hit too...

Welcome Aboard! :D:

FJA
07-23-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by daver
They do,not counting tonite they both won their last outing,in case you missed it Bartolo got the win against the Wahoo's on Tuesday,and going into tonite Mark had won his last six.

I was thinking more along the lines of, if we break up outings into groups of five (and consider that a turn through) ... starting after the break, you have:

Colon L
Buerhle W
Garland W
Loaiza W
Porzio W

Colon W
Buerhle ND

Of course, we know they didn't win in any consecutive order in the first half.

So, that's the way I was thinking of it ... I think Rooney (or Wills) might have mentioned it in these terms in the pre-game show as well.

Daver
07-23-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by FJA
I was thinking more along the lines of, if we break up outings into groups of five (and consider that a turn through)

Well,I put little stock in rotation numbers,and I do not beleive in ranking pitchers to their slot in the rotation.You take your best pitcher and start him on opening day,everyone else has to fall in line behind that,no matter how they are "ranked".

Esteban Loiza was "ranked" as the Sox #4 pitcher this year,yet he has become the ace of the staff,ranking a pitching staff means nothing as far as I am concerned,you have five guys and they pitch every fifth day.

MarqSox
07-24-2003, 12:03 AM
Well,I put little stock in rotation numbers,and I do not beleive in ranking pitchers to their slot in the rotation.You take your best pitcher and start him on opening day,everyone else has to fall in line behind that,no matter how they are "ranked".

Esteban Loiza was "ranked" as the Sox #4 pitcher this year,yet he has become the ace of the staff,ranking a pitching staff means nothing as far as I am concerned,you have five guys and they pitch every fifth day.

It has relevance when speaking in terms of off days (5th guy often gets skipped) and the playoffs. But in general, you're right.

FJA
07-24-2003, 12:34 AM

I definitely agree with you on this. I just thought all this talk about no Buerhle/Colon wins through the rotation was referring to the five-slot rotation.

Either way, all that really matters is that they are both producing of late.

MHOUSE
07-24-2003, 01:00 AM
Buehrle pitched well aside from the 2-run homer. The 4th inning was tough, but I think us roughing up Halladay was the bigger story than Mark's outing.

Lip Man 1
07-24-2003, 01:13 AM
Mamoo says: Big time pitchers win big games. MB must learn that .

He will....when he's pitching for the Cardinals!

Lip

kermittheefrog
07-24-2003, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo

Maybe you should make sure he gets the memo next time around?

It's not like he's going to learn when to pitch well. Either the guy is gonna have his stuff or he's not and if you hadn't noticed he hasn't pitched like a big time pitcher for most of the season.

B. Diddy
07-24-2003, 08:40 AM
I remember reading that Buehrle doesn't like pitching in Minnesota. Perhaps he just doesn't like pitching indoors in general?

MarqSox
07-24-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
I remember reading that Buehrle doesn't like pitching in Minnesota. Perhaps he just doesn't like pitching indoors in general?

Perhaps, but the roof was open last night.

B. Diddy
07-24-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Perhaps, but the roof was open last night.

I was thinking it has more to do with the astroturf. Aren't most left-handed breaking ball pitchers typically gound ball pitchers?