PDA

View Full Version : SF's Jon Miller Says Colon Deal Will Happen

Brian26
07-23-2003, 01:09 PM
I was talking to a buddy online last night who lives near San Francisco. Before the Giants game, Jon Miller was rambling on about how the Sox were going to unload him to SF.

I don't think that's going to happen now, although it wasn't out of the realm of possibility even a week ago. I think we've turned the corner, and we have an awesome pennant race on our hands.
Colon ain't going anywhere.

BeerHandle
07-23-2003, 01:30 PM
The Sox won't trade Colon. We have won 5 of 6 after the break. In addition we play KC 13 times. We are in it to win it! I wouldn't be surprised if we look for a 5th starter.

gosox41
07-23-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I was talking to a buddy online last night who lives near San Francisco. Before the Giants game, Jon Miller was rambling on about how the Sox were going to unload him to SF.

I don't think that's going to happen now, although it wasn't out of the realm of possibility even a week ago. I think we've turned the corner, and we have an awesome pennant race on our hands.

Assuming the worst case scenario and the Sox do fade out in the next week or so and do decide to trade Colon, how does San Fran's farm system rank? I know they're not going to unload any key memebers of their 25 man roster as they are trying to win it all. Do they have any A level prospects at SS, CF, C, or pitching.

Colon should command 2-3 top A guys.
With that being said, I hope the Sox win the next 9 games and look to add players.

Bob

SoxOnTop
07-23-2003, 01:36 PM
Outside of Keith Foulke and Howry for 2 years, have we ever gotten anything at least half-way decent from the Giants' farm system?

Fisk72
07-23-2003, 01:50 PM
Unloading Colon just wouldn't make sense. I mean, I'm assuming management wants to win. Perhaps I'm wrong on that one. Anywho, if you want to win, you need to keep the people who will help you win. Yeah, I know there's the whole economics side to it, but wouldn't the $ you make being a winner make up for the high salaries, etc.? Keeping Colon would make a point - that we want to win. That would surely boost the confidence of our boys and get them over the edge. Colon's had a little slump, but you can't deny the fact that overall, he's the real deal and his veteran experience in a playoff-atmosphere could only help us into September.

doublem23
07-23-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Outside of Keith Foulke and Howry for 2 years, have we ever gotten anything at least half-way decent from the Giants' farm system?

Mike Caruso was pretty good... We just kind of ****ed his development up. And Lorenzo Barcelo was also solid; too many arm problems.

Gumshoe
07-23-2003, 01:54 PM
The last two poster have it right. I was wondering the same thing, who the heck does SF have that can even be MENTIONED in a deal for a top of the line pitcher? I wouldn't be that heartbroken if we traded Colon (as he has been SOLID but not spectacular ... aka he's not worth 8 mil a year), but come on, what are the odds. We're close to winning and you gotta think that if we traded Colon to the Yanks or Boston that we'd be looking for someone like Freddy Sanchez, Youkilis, Weaver + good prospects ... something like that. SF has no one that I'm aware of ...

Gumshoe

mandmandm
07-23-2003, 01:55 PM
I think there were other factors that ****ed up Mike Curuso's development.

MarkEdward
07-23-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Assuming the worst case scenario and the Sox do fade out in the next week or so and do decide to trade Colon, how does San Fran's farm system rank? I know they're not going to unload any key memebers of their 25 man roster as they are trying to win it all. Do they have any A level prospects at SS, CF, C, or pitching.

Colon should command 2-3 top A guys.
With that being said, I hope the Sox win the next 9 games and look to add players.

Bob

As far as position players go, aside from Todd Linden, the Giants have nobody.

The only way I'd deal with Sabean would be if he offered me Jesse Foppert, Kurt Ainsworth, and Jerome Williams for Colon. But I don't see him doing that.

Chisoxfn
07-23-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
As far as position players go, aside from Todd Linden, the Giants have nobody.

The only way I'd deal with Sabean would be if he offered me Jesse Foppert, Kurt Ainsworth, and Jerome Williams for Colon. But I don't see him doing that.

If Sox add Gordon I guarantee they do it.

SoxOnTop
07-23-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Mike Caruso was pretty good... We just kind of ****ed his development up. And Lorenzo Barcelo was also solid; too many arm problems.

I'm pretty sure that Caruso didn't need any help in ****ing up his own develepment. Kid didn't work hard to get better in the off season and rested on his slappy laurels. And I 'm pretty sure that Big Frank had a better arm.

JJAustin69
07-23-2003, 02:42 PM
Caruso+too much partying=bust.

FJA
07-23-2003, 02:44 PM

I'm starting to get really sick of baseball "experts" suggesting as recently as last night that the Sox unload this and that guy, all the while not saying a thing about the Twins, or saying they should pick up this or that guy (same with the Royals, but since they're in first, it's understandable). These same experts are the ones claiming that the AL Central is wide open. Last night on BBTN, Karl Ravech (who is the biggest idiot that show carries anyway), kept talking about how the Sox should unload Colon to this team or that team "perhaps" (his favorite word in case everyone hasn't noticed), and Gammons, of all people, needed to stop him.

"Karl," Gammons said interrupting another "perhaps" from Ravech, "the White Sox are not going to get rid of anybody. If anything, they are going to add. They are five games out and have 13 left against the Royals." Ravech just said something to the effect of "OK, then that's good too."

I don't know if we'll add, but even if we play poorly in Toronto, I have a really hard time believing we'll play poorly against TB at home. Seeing as that takes us through the 28th with an excellent chance to be above .500, we'd have to absolutely implode and implode quickly against KC to start dumping. I have a feeling we're going to live and die with the team we have now.

Harold Reynolds, meanwhile, has picked us to win the division. Said we're poised to get red hot at just the right time. I've always liked Reynolds the best. :D:

gosox41
07-23-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by FJA

Harold Reynolds, meanwhile, has picked us to win the division. Said we're poised to get red hot at just the right time. I've always liked Reynolds the best. :D:

Anytime the Sox are want to make a run is fine with me. This team hasn't had a major winning streak since 2000, let alone a couple go good sized one's. Until the recent 5 game winning streak, the longest streak this season had been 4 games and that happened once.

Bob

VeeckAsInWreck
07-23-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Anytime the Sox are want to make a run is fine with me. This team hasn't had a major winning streak since 2000, let alone a couple go good sized one's. Until the recent 5 game winning streak, the longest streak this season had been 4 games and that happened once.

Bob

:hawk
"I LOOOVE winning streaks! Anyone see my hair clippers?"

daveb816
07-23-2003, 03:17 PM
Not to nitpick or anything, but they've won 4 in a row twice - first 4 wins of the season all came in a rown and then 10 days later they won 4 home games in a row vs. Royals and Indians.

They won 7 straight last season before and after Labor Day weekend - vs. Tigers and Blue Jays.

SoxOnTop
07-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Keeping this team together for the remainder of the season would send a TREMENDOUS message to the White Sox faithful who could then be treated to a possible division race in late September with hope (dare I say it) of playing in October.

If JR even thinks about white flagging it again, he should sell tomorrow becuase he has absolutely no idea how to sell baseball to the fans!!

Medford Bobby
07-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Yea I think the wild card in all this that the Royals at some point will have a 6 game skid...and so long as we are right there with the Twins (who can still turn in on, but have not yet Thank God!) There is no reason for the Sox to dump anyone....now or even past the trade dead line. If this was a year ago when the Twins were a better club, I think 7 to 10 games could be hard to make up. This is the best scenerio the Sox have had in the last 2 years but it all comes down to them playing well like now and keep the losses down to only 2 game skids.........

:supernana: "2003 SOX American League Wild Card Division runner-ups" T-shirts orders are on hold..........

A.T. Money
07-23-2003, 03:28 PM
Kenny, JM, Bartolo, and company are going down with the ship. There is no way Kenny is going to negate all he's said this year about building for the long haul. The Sox can't afford another one of these backstabs.

rmusacch
07-23-2003, 03:32 PM

We got back to .500. The last time we got back to .500 we went in the tailspin that forced us to get back to .500. I hope am I wrong but this time is going to pull that **** all year.

voodoochile
07-23-2003, 04:21 PM
Keeping this team together for the remainder of the season would send a TREMENDOUS message to the White Sox faithful who could then be treated to a possible division race in late September with hope (dare I say it) of playing in October.

If JR even thinks about white flagging it again, he should sell tomorrow becuase he has absolutely no idea how to sell baseball to the fans!!

If JR white flags it, then the team for all intents and purposes is dead here in Chicago. He might as well just fold up shop and go home.

It would prove once and for all that which we already know, that JR is ONLY in it for the money and the rest of his rhetoric is meaningless crap.

White Flag it and lose Voodoo as a fan until JR sells the club.

SpringfldFan
07-23-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Medford Bobby
Yea I think the wild card in all this that the Royals at some point will have a 6 game skid...and so long as we are right there with the Twins (who can still turn in on, but have not yet Thank God!) There is no reason for the Sox to dump anyone....now or even past the trade dead line. If this was a year ago when the Twins were a better club, I think 7 to 10 games could be hard to make up. This is the best scenerio the Sox have had in the last 2 years but it all comes down to them playing well like now and keep the losses down to only 2 game skids.........

Murph & Fred (believe it or not) said it best this morning - Given the fact that the Sox schedule ends with KC, we could be 4 behind them the going into the last week of the season and still have a shot. Of course, who knows where the Twins will be by then...

Fisk72
07-23-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If JR white flags it, then the team for all intents and purposes is dead here in Chicago. He might as well just fold up shop and go home.

It would prove once and for all that which we already know, that JR is ONLY in it for the money and the rest of his rhetoric is meaningless crap.

I second that.

Gumshoe
07-23-2003, 05:47 PM
See my thread yesterday about how I was yelling at JR after Monday Night's game? WEll, teh point of this is that in that thread, LIP pointed out that he had inside info that JR is in fact selling the team over the next 2 years to some minority owners. Any truth to this? Hear anything? I heard Bo Jackson might be interested ...

Gumshoe

ps- I've said all season ,after all he's been through (22 years now) and not having a championship past division (we know he blew that one too), he's gotta sell. This is too embarrassing since his PERSONAL moves (KW and JM) flat out blow ... it shows he can't run a baseball team worth crap. Send his a$$ back to Brooklyn is RIGHT!

FJA
07-23-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
I second that.

Make it three ... I'm pretty sure a very significant portion of the White Sox fanbase would not come to the park for a very long time.

FJA
07-23-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
I heard Bo Jackson might be interested ...

... And this would put me back in the stands really quick.

RKMeibalane
07-23-2003, 06:26 PM

If Reinsdorf pulls another "White Flag Trade," the following will happen in relatively short order:

1. The Sox will finish the 2003 season with another mediocre record.
2. Believing that he won't win a World Series in Chicago, Frank Thomas will leave, probably for a National League team.
3. Bartolo Colon will also test the free-agent market. He will most likely end up with the Yankees.
4. The Sox will struggle in 2004. Jerry Manuel will be fired.
5. A new manager will be hired (Wally Backman?) on an interem basis. Depending on how the Sox finish the 2004 season, he may be retained, or he may also be fired so that someone else can be found. One thing is certain, the new manager will be someone willing to work for less money than he would get from most other clubs.
6. Magglio Ordonez will leave after 2004.
7. Kenny Williams will be fired.
8. Mark Buerhle will sign with the Cardinals the first chance that he gets.
9. The Sox will continue sucking, Reinsdorf will continue blaming the fans, and life will go on...

MisterB
07-23-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
If Reinsdorf pulls another "White Flag Trade," the following will happen in relatively short order:

1. The Sox will finish the 2003 season with another mediocre record.
2. Believing that he won't win a World Series in Chicago, Frank Thomas will leave, probably for a National League team.
3. Bartolo Colon will also test the free-agent market. He will most likely end up with the Yankees.
4. The Sox will struggle in 2004. Jerry Manuel will be fired.
5. A new manager will be hired (Wally Backman?) on an interem basis. Depending on how the Sox finish the 2004 season, he may be retained, or he may also be fired so that someone else can be found. One thing is certain, the new manager will be someone willing to work for less money than he would get from most other clubs.
5. Magglio Ordonez will leave after 2004.
6. Kenny Williams will be fired.
7. Mark Buerhle will sign with the Cardinals the first chance that he gets.
8. The Sox will continue sucking, Reinsdorf will continue blaming the fans, and life will go on...

You forgot...

10. Reinsdorf is kidnapped by band of disgruntled, spear-wielding Sox fans who release him into the Wisconsin woods and hunt him down like a wild boar.

voodoochile
07-23-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
You forgot...

10. Reinsdorf is kidnapped by band of disgruntled, spear-wielding Sox fans who release him into the Wisconsin woods and hunt him down like a wild boar.

Too much work... How about we just burn him in effigy in downtown Chicago while forgetting to substitute a dummy for his body when we light the fire...

SoxOnTop
07-23-2003, 11:26 PM
Too much work... How about we just burn him in effigy in downtown Chicago while forgetting to substitute a dummy for his body when we light the fire...

I like that one. Better yet, burn him in his own luxury suite. With any luck we'll burn the whole UD down and insurance can pay for a new one!!

If only I knew how to burn concrete......

Daver
07-23-2003, 11:28 PM

If only I knew how to burn concrete......

Concrete is easy to burn,you just can't use flame.

:)